Favorite Success Foods

ncarter11
on 5/31/06 1:00 am - Edmonds, WA
I'm curious who is eating what good food! It's funny to me the foods that are my favorites, now. I have a few foods that I not only LOVE but that I feel contribute to my success on the scales as well as my health and fitness. Perhaps, you will post which foods are your favs, foods that are nutritional and guiltless pleasures ... aside from protein shakes and bars! My absolute FAVORITE good thing to eat is edamame, soy beans. My entire family is crazy over this food. I can't keep them in the house! We all prefer them in the shell, salted -- but I also toss shelled edamame into salads and other dishes. Edamame is packs a lot of punch in its nutritional content: .5 C serving 127 calories 6 g fat 10 g carbohydrate 4 g fiber 11 grams protein (Soy is the only complete vegetable protein, btw) http://www.wholehealthmd.net/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,105,00.html $1.49 a bag at Trader Joe's Another food I eat that I have grown to enjoy is - Fiber One cereal. I know, I know it's old lady food, but... that stuff helps keep me going. My iron is getting low, so I am quad-ing up on my Fe intake which is no fun for the bowels. I add this cereal to salads, put it on cottage cheese, mix it with a little granola and other tasty/nutty bits for a trail mix kinda snack. This cereal has the best fiber/calorie ratio... Fiber One .5 C serving 60 cals 1 g fat 25 g carbohydrate 14 g fiber! 2 g protein Lots of vitamins Hot & Sour Soup Since this food is a recipe, its contents vary... regardless, this soup packs a lot wholelotta flavor, good protein, and nutrition, too! 1 cup serving 70-150 cals 1-8 g fat 5-6 g carbs 0 fiber 7-15 g protein! (I order this in restaurants, of course, but I also buy the soup packets {only 35 cals per serving} in local ethnic markets ($.99) and add tofu, rehydrated black fungus, and egg.) I look for my protein foods to have a 1:10 ratio... at least a 1 g protein for every 10 cals. The edamame (nearly) and H&S soup meet that criteria. What foods make your diet? Have a super, blessed, and healthy day! Nancy
Amity L.
on 5/31/06 2:44 am - Mount Vernon, WA
My absolute favorite thing to eat, and that has tons of protein is shrimp sateed in a tiny bit of olive oil, with garlic minced in. Then I chop it up and add chopped avocado and chop them together. Its so tasty! Shrimp has tons of protein too, so it gives me a great high protein, low fat meal that tastes great!
auntlorlee
on 5/31/06 3:35 am - Bellingham, WA
AMITY!! I love your picture! And what a beautiful little girl! Is that your daughter? She is gorgeous! That recipe sounds soooo yummy! I am definitely gonna have to try that! Lori
Amity L.
on 5/31/06 8:16 am - Mount Vernon, WA
Hey Lori! Thank you! That is my daughter Hannah. She was 3 in March. She keeps me busy. That shrimp and avocado is SO good! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I think I could eat it every single day. Are you going to the N County support meeting on saturday?
ncarter11
on 5/31/06 4:05 am - Edmonds, WA
YUMMY! I love both those foods! Seafood is so wonderfully high in protein and usually low fat! And some of the tastiest food ever! Our Grocery Outlet has these individually packaged 4 oz servings of salmon on sale for, shoot, a dollar or two. While I can't eat the whole thing, I sure get a kick out of having the perfect little portion for me. Eat 1/2-2/3 one meal add the remainder to a salad later on in the day. I love avacodo, but even before surgery get horribly sick from eating just the smallest bit. Oh Well. Avacado is one of those awesome foods too and your recipe sounds wonderfully tasty! I know people will try your combo! YUM!
Amity L.
on 5/31/06 8:18 am - Mount Vernon, WA
LOL. You get sick from avocado, I get sick from fish. Another yummy thing I like is mixing a TBSP of sugar free jam in with cottage cheese. It tastes like a dessert but is low fat and the cottage cheese is high protein.
ncarter11
on 6/1/06 6:27 am - Edmonds, WA
Cottage cheese is a mainstay for me - low or non fat and LOTs of protein! YUM. I'll add anything to it... peppers, bacon bits, blue cheese (LOVE it) seeds, edamame, or nuts, and always salt. I crave salt. Or I'll add sweet stuff, add artificial sweetener, or drizzle SF peach syrup, spinkle little granola or coconut, ground flax... I like to add crunch. Nancy
auntlorlee
on 5/31/06 3:26 am - Bellingham, WA
Great post Nancy!!! I also love edamamme! And hot and sour soup! In fact, that was my "last meal" before surgery! Well not the edamamme but definitely the soup! My favorite snack is string cheese. It is a staple in my house. I have to keep something there that is loaded with protein to keep me from snacking on bad stuff. Although, I can't eat the bad stuff anyway since it makes me nauseaus. Amity's little shrimp recipe sounds really good too! I haven't tried olive oil yet. I get very nauseaus on fatty stuff like margarine, butter, mayo, etc... so I don't know how I would react to that... I have found that I really like tofu too. I never in my life would of every thought I would eat tofu but I love it! Especially in the hot and sour soup! I haven't had it any other way... Any suggestions? Soy nuts are another favorite of mine. Roasted and seasoned with chili and lime. I buy them at the grocery store already seasoned. They aren't super salty so that is good. Again, GREAT post! I hope everyone joins in on this one! Lori
ncarter11
on 6/1/06 6:30 am - Edmonds, WA
I love all those things! I too like Tofu, but don't know much about cooking with it. I wish I got nauseaus on some things - esp fats and sugar!
kdietsch
on 5/31/06 12:27 pm - Everett, WA
I am really fond of cooked cereal in the morning. Being banded I have "restriction" as to what can go down, and the mornings I am tighter than any other day. I used to be an omelette person (eggs and feta cheese) but now I do a multi-grain hot cereal with a scoop of protein powder and soy milk. I find that it gives me a lot of energy, but I get hungrier sooner (that could be because I am exercising more...) One of my favorite "healthy foods" is a onion, mushroom, spinach, feta cheese Frittata (sic?). It is like a quiche without the crust and oh so good. I usually make it for breakfast and then I have enough left over for lunch or breakfast the next day... (lots of vitamins and protein, very few carbs) I also have lots of string cheese for snacks. I love grilled vegis and grilled chicken (boneless skinless breasts). TOFU rocks. I use it in stir fry, I use the soft TOFU in quiche. I have used TOFU in smoothies before. I eat a lot of seafood, esp. Salmon. nummy! And what do I drink??? WATER!! I gave up coffee, drink tea in the morning, and soy mil****aisionally (the chocolate helps those cravings).
Most Active