New Again

liannw
on 5/27/06 4:45 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi everyone! I lurked around these boards for a while in 2004 and had actually started the process to have the surgery done, but got scared by the horror stories. I started focusing more on them then on the success stories. Not this time! I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few weeks ago and that scares me more than the surgery! Even though I have been very overweight me entire life, I have actually been pretty healthy. I was living in denial by thinking that I wasn't going to get any of the diseases that other overweight people get. ha ha!! So, once again I am starting the process of getting approved through Kaiser. This time I am NOT going to focus on the horror stories. I know that my God will take care of me! He loves me too much not too! I will be talking to all of you soon. Liann in Vancouver
ncarter11
on 5/27/06 11:23 pm - Edmonds, WA
How right you are! I pray for all good things for you, Liann! Keep looking to where your help comes from. I look forward to hearing about your journey! Blessings! Nancy
lilacs
on 5/28/06 8:53 am - Marysville, WA
Congratulations on the decision!! There are alot more success stories than horror ones. Focus on those. Easier on your mind! Before you know it you'll be one of them!!! Good luck Linda -208
karen C.
on 5/29/06 1:36 am - Kennewick, WA
Liann, I don't know how tall you are. I'm 5'3" and had a BMI of 67 when I had LAP RNY on 2/16/05. This has truly been a modern medical miracle for me. Sure any surgery is scary but think of what we are doing to ourselves each day with our morbid obesity. Best wishes to you. This site is a great place to learn. Karen -178 lbs and still losing after 16 months.
kdietsch
on 5/30/06 2:49 pm - Everett, WA
Hi Lianne, I was just a few points shy of Type II diabetes, Like you I have always been a "healthy" obese person. But I do not want to go through what my mother has gone through since she was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. So I committed myself to getting healthy. Even before my surgery (and I chose LAP BAND because I was afraid of the negative side of GB) I started exercising and eating healthy, so that by the time I had surgery it wasn't a "big deal". I am less than 2 months out and down 30 pounds and from a size 20 to a size 16. I imagine my blood sugar is way down as well, although I haven't had that checked. I am totally motivated and excited about being healthy! And I am espescially happy that my daughter, 10, is also starting to make healthy choices on her own without my harping at her! Blessings Peace and Strength on your journey! And remember "the Will of the Lord will not lead you where the Grace of God cannot keep you!" Kelly
liannw
on 5/31/06 5:41 am - Vancouver, WA
Thank you all for the encouragement! I am finding that I have to fight a mental battle every single day and some days are a lot harder than others. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I have been eating a lot healthier, for the most part. I still cheat every once in a while and tend to feel very guilty about it. I need to start exercising and moving my butt a lot more and I think that I will feel differently about my eating.
Most Active