Experiences with Group Health

Jeffrey Welch
on 5/10/06 8:01 am - Seattle, WA
Hello, I'm looking for info from anyone who has experienced bariatric surgery via Group Health in Seattle. I'm most interested in how your actual experience in dealing with doctors, the surgery, preparation and after care has been. I was considering bariatric surgery two years ago, and had withdrawn money from my 401K to make an out of pocket down payment with the Wish Center (I was on Regence at the time - no coverage), but then my house caught fire and the money was needed for recovery. We're now on a GHC plan that does cover the bariatric surgery, and I understand that Group Health offers only the Rouen-y bypass. Any info most appreciated. -Jeff
marcie158
on 5/12/06 3:42 am - tacoma, wa
i only recently acquired GHC, but being almost 2 years post-op, my pcp has been very supportive regarding my current healthcare and needs. i know that under certain policies that you can only have bariatric surgery thru a GHC surgeon, but one of the pioneers of the RNY is Dr Steven Bock, i have heard lots of great things about him!!!!!! i would deeply consider your options and talk to your pcp, but ultimately, whatever your decision, good luck
clegate
on 5/12/06 10:18 am - Shelton, WA
Hi Jeff, I am at the very beginning stages of this process with Group Health but if you'd like to exchange information/experiences, I'd be happy to. I have my approval for the initial consultation. That is to occur on Tuesday 5/15. If you're interested let me know. Carol
Mari J
on 5/14/06 10:04 am - Kent, WA
To Jeff and Carol. I belong to GHC. I had the RNY proximal gastric bypass (the only option) with Dr. Bock in June of last year. Dr. Au is the other surgeon. You can read my profile and learn more about my experience. I am very happy with the Dr., surgery, and aftercare. It is a long wait generally, but so worth it. They make you sign up with a nutritionist for a few weeks before and several months after the surgery ($1400), but GHC covered the rest! I highly recommend GHC. There are also monthly support groups and a yahoo GHC message board. Email me if you'd like more info. As far as Carol's email - If you got a letter and an appointment with Harriett for an initial consult, you are basically approved. You will be told to schedule a bunch of tests and if the results are good, you will be scheduled for an orientation and appt. with the Dr. That is usually when they tell you the surgery date. You may have up to a year's wait. Good luck, Mari
clegate
on 5/15/06 1:05 pm - Shelton, WA
Hi Mari, Thanks for the information. i would appreciate anything else you can offer. I would like the information about the support groups. Carol
Mari J
on 5/17/06 11:46 am - Kent, WA
I don't know of any GHC support groups by Shelton, but please ask Harriet in the morning. Online go to yahoo groups and use this address to subscribe: Subscribe: [email protected]. Let me know if you can get on it. Good luck tomorrow, you will enjoy Harriett. Tell her hi for me. Mari Jensen
Sun Smith
on 5/15/06 2:05 am - Seattle, WA
Group Health has a good program with two surgeons and a waiting list. Once you get the initial acceptance it may be several months or longer before they will even schedule the first consult. Then several months of going through the hoops to make sure you are a good candidate and other health problems won't preclude the surgery. Once I was referred, and clarified that I was covered (two GHC plans, my employer doesn't cover bariatric surgery, but my husband's does) I was told it would be at least 10 months before I'd get into for my consult. Meanwhile I had a gallbladder that had to come out soon. GH was going to make me have two surgeries, one for the gallbladder and then come back a year later, when it was my turn, for the bypass. I got impatient and went to Mexico for the surgery. Had both the gallbladder and RNY at the same time. For me, it was a good decision. Group Health has been excellent with the aftercare. My PCP has ordered the labs and is helping me in following the plan. She has even referred me back to Harriet to make sure we haven't left anything out. However, I haven't made the appointment or the connection - my fault, not Group Health's. -Pam
Most Active