Ulysses’s Posts

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 3:53 pm
Topic: RE: is there anyone who DIDN'T do a pre-op liquid diet?

Nope - my surgeon didn't require it.
I'm doing it anyway to get a jumpstart on losing and maybe a shrunken liver actually does help?
I have no idea whay some surgeons require it and some don't...
I will have a head start on the post-op this way though.
It has been tempting to cheat....But just 2 more days and 1 day of required clear liquids before my sleeve. BTW: I have lost quite a bit on the pre-op and feel pretty good physically.
It is boring though
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 3:12 pm
Topic: RE: Just wanted to introduce myself

Hi Christina!

I will be officially sleeved on Tuesday the 25t6 4/26.
I feel exactly the same as you - it's getting SO close!
-this forum is GREAT, I "lurked around" for a month or so before I joined...
Its gonna be a heck of a ride...

Jason

"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 3:03 pm
Topic: RE: How do I import an avatar?

The avatar has to be 100x100 pixels or less in size (pretty small).
And it cannot be over 20k in total size.

You can go here and select avatars by size and dimension
avatar.hq-picture.com/funny-n-scary-avatar-39918.html

- you can also create your own by re-sizing them on different websites (or with programs on your mac/pc).

Good luck!

J

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 11:50 am
Topic: RE: 16 Days Post-Op: Struggling & Frustrated
HOLY MOLY!!!
45 pounds in 16 days? That is AWESOME!
I have yet to go through what you are going through but that sucks.
I am worried about "mushies" as well, I can't imagine eating cream soup all the time.
What about pudding?
I also hear that certain non cream soups can be blended and taste pretty good - like tortilla soup.
I also understand that most protein (meat) is pretty much mushed or pureed if you chew the **** out of it before swallowing.
There's always deviled or scrambled eggs?
Refried beans?

Good luck!

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 11:17 am
Topic: RE: Help! Ok so now Im confused...
WARNING!!! THIS IS A JOKE!

Who Needs a Porsche?

There was a mouse and an elephant and they decided to go for a walk in the jungle together. So they set off walking and talking and were not really paying attention to where they were going, when all of a sudden the elephant fell in a hole.

"Oh My!" the elephant cried. "What will we do?...I can't climb out on my own".

"Don't worry" said the mouse. I'll just run back into town and get my Porsche and we will have you out of there in no time at all."

So the mouse ran back to town and got her porsche. When she arrived back at the hole she backed the Porsche up to the edge. The mouse then threw the elephant one end of a chain and secured the other end to her bumper.

"Here we go" the mouse yelled to the elephant as she put the Porsche in gear and pulled the elephant out of the hole.

"Thank you, thank you so much my friend!" said the elephant.
"My pleasure" said the mouse "Should we continue on our walk?"

The elephant agreed, but as he turned toward the mouse his trunk accidentally knocked her into the hole.

"Oh my goodness" the elephant wailed, "I'm so so sorry!...Oh, What are we going to do now. I'm too big to fit in your porsche!"

"Not a problem" the mouse responded "Just throw your dick down here" The elephant trusted the mouse so he threw his dick into the hole and the mouse climbed out on it.Once she was out the elephant and mouse continued on their walk with no further mishaps.

And the moral of the story is... ?

"If you have a big enough dick you don't need a Porsche!"

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Ready to Go!!

Congrats on your final pre-op!
As you know i had mine yesterday -
I had to go back in today for another (my 3rd in two days) EKG!!!
Apparantly the dumb-ass pre-op testing Nurse had the leeds wrong on my 1st and 2nd EKG! She is the one who told me my heart was on the right side of my chest.

Well, it is now back on the left side where it should be - and in perfect condition.
****! No wonder I'm still single...My heart has "Happy Feet".

My surgery is scheduled for 10:00am too, the surgeon has one patient before me; this is good cause I want him awake and warmed up.
"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!!" Me Too!
"I'm about to lose some weight and i think I like it!"

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 1:50 pm
Topic: RE: We are FATHLETES!
Be my guest!
Use away...
Jason
Ulysses
on 4/21/11 1:38 pm
Topic: RE: No Intrest in food!

That reminds me I have to buy myself a baby spoon...
I get my sleeve on Tuesday so I can't comment.
But Barry! I was just on your blog and you have lost 41+ pounds in 2 weeks!
That's F'n outstanding man!
I can't wait to be on the bench with ya..
Peace
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 11:34 am

Yeah...But we were hell on wheels at "Red-Rover"

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 11:33 am
Your very welcome...
The thought just kind of hit me out of the blue...But, its true!
regards,
J
Ulysses
on 4/21/11 11:30 am
Topic: RE: Please read if you have followed my journey! *Pics, update*

Congrats!
You look outstanding!

I love Kauai and have been 4 times.
I have red dirt shirts, usually stay on the north shore.
Am amazed by the Napali coastline and the canyons...
What a absolute gorgeous place to celebrate!
Gotta love Sushi at the 7-11's (i'll miss that next time i go)
JEALOUS!

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 11:04 am

I was thinking the other day how much easier life will be after I lose even 1/2 my EW.
I am one of the "Super Obese" at 6'3 and 440Lbs (I know you are jealous that you are NOT super like me).

Anyway - I tried to visualize what 125 or even 250 lbs would look like (bags of sugar etc).
I equated it to Olympic dumbbells as I used to lift weights all the time.
The amount of fat I am carrying = six 45 pound Olympic weight plates - thats 270 pounds. I started at 460 and my 'ideal' weight would be 185-195 (just a tad under being overweight).
I go through my day getting out of bed, showering, manscaping, getting dressed, up the stairs to my car and off to work. Then I walk 3-400 yards from the parking lot to my building at HP…Then up 4 flights of steep stairs and another few hundred feet to my cubicle. Work 9-12 hours a day, walk back to the car - go to the store/or?  - get home - make dinner - etc etc…I am pretty exhausted after an average day, and don't feel much like exercise or much else.

I then asked myself if a really IN SHAPE person could do this? Take for instance your average nightmare…The guy behind you at the Supermarket with a bottle of $4.00 H2O to buy, he's dressed in his little cyclist spandex, all "lance Armstronged" out, right down to his fat free legs and stupid little biker helmet…You know he/she is looking at you in disgust - and I really could give a ****…But could this menace to cars and traffic everywhere do what I do everyday? Not my job, but just physically making it through MY day?

Take a rope and a wide comfortable neck strap, then attach 3 45LB plates to each side…Ask Mr. Athlete to then dip down, put those weights over his neck and dead lift all 270 pounds. Yay - he got it up! Now ask him to to walk a few hundred yards and then up 4 flights of steps while bearing that weight…Do you think he could do it? Maybe, probably not though…I definitely know that little prissy nightmare could not function carrying that weight around for 24 hours, let alone months and months - years and years.

That's where I came up with the term F-Athlete or "FATHLETE"…No average person could do what we do day in and day out. We have to be in tremendous shape under all our fat-suits to even function in society. The muscles it takes to even rise out of bed or a chair is the equivalent of a dead lift or squat…Yeah we breathe a little heavy and sweat a little more - who can blame us? FATHLETES sweat! FATHLETES work hard….And when we lose this weight - that inner athlete that allowed us to carry this burden around will really shine through.

Next time someone gives you **** about being "Out of Shape" or "Lazy" just remember what a real F-Athlete you are! Most people would crumble, fail and fall in exhaustion doing what we do on a regular basis…I'm not proud to be obese, not at all. But I now realize what tremendous inner and physical strength that we have to have as overweight people just to go through life.

Embrace your inner FATHLETE and be proud!
Next Tuesday I get my sleeve - I can't wait for the burden of this weight to start coming off. I hope someday I will look back at the before pics and be amazed that I even pulled it off at all.

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 10:22 am
Topic: RE: 7days til my surgery....
COOL!
Best of luck to you and your sleeve as well...
I had my final pre-op today.
All green lights till Tuesday am
J
Ulysses
on 4/21/11 10:06 am
Topic: RE: 7days til my surgery....

I can totally relate, I am always so tired now that I worry that with only 600 or so calories that it won't be enough to haul my butt around post op.

I checked with my dad (he is a primary care physician and had the RNY) - he told me that once the body starts burning fat (in the ketosis stage) for energy instead of food, you have all the high potency energy your body will need. The key to taking in adequate protein is so that your body doesn't turn to your LMM (lean muscle mass) and burn that for energy.

Fat on your body is stored for future use as the bodies fuel - it is designed for that. So the post-op weight loss is a very natural thing for your body to do...It's simply going through the packed away (FAT) energy stores instead of incoming food.

I am pretty sure we will do fine.
I have my surgery next Tuesday and am anxious about it, but more than that - I am looking to turn the page on a new chapter in my life.

Best of luck Bahamas1968
BTW: 1968 was a very good year!

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 9:13 am
Topic: RE: 1 month post sleeve surgery...

Quitting my Diet Coke habit has been the WORST thing I have had to do pre-op.
I am on day 10 of the pre-op - I don't mind that...But am missing my bubbles bad!
- I have seen on other posts that some people can/are drinking it in moderation...But as always - best advice is to follow the plan.

I like the drinking it semi-flat idea.

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 9:09 am
Topic: RE: Is the psych evaluation really that easy?

It all depends on the shrink...
My eval lasted 3 hours.
1st thing the dude said to me was "I'm gonna eat your old stomach with some fava beans and a nice chianti." Pssffftttssstttfffststtt....

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 9:03 am
Topic: RE: Did you watch the YouTube Video before surgery?

I watched a ton of them and showed them to my mother (the only one who knows I'm having the sleeve)...
I really dig the harmonic scalpel  - it cuts using high frequency sound caused by vibration.
From Wiki: "The scalpel surface itself cuts through tissue by vibrating in the range of 55,500 Hz. The vibration cuts through the tissue and seals it using protein denaturization, rather than heat."

I think its fascinating - or, maybe I'm just morbid.

Wait a minute! I AM MORBID!!! MORBIDLY OBESE 

but not for long...

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 8:56 am
Topic: RE: Done with education day.. and I like what I heard!

I didn't have to do the liquid pre-op either, but i am doing it anyway.

My dr just requires the day b4 surgery all liquids and nothing from midnight before the sleeve.
I feel pretty good on the pre-op after the 1st few days - i am day 10 of my pre-op and have lost 15 pounds...Had the final pre-op meeting w/my surgeon 2day and he was happy I was doing it...

I just wanted to give myself every advantage (shrink the liver) and get a jump on the weight loss.

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 5:06 am
Topic: RE: Approved!!!!
Yeah Girl!
Isn't that like better than Christmas morning?
Congrats!
I just did my final Pre-Op with the surgeon and EKG/Bloodwork (again) today...
I'm all green lights to next Tuesday morning  - no more hoops!
J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 4:32 am
Topic: RE: But you have a pretty face.........

I heard one that guy's rarely ever hear...
It was last Thanksgiving and we are all seated at the table.
Now, my family is not known for their tact...As a matter of fact they are like "the Redneck Klumps" -
So were eating and the game is on...blah  blah

My little brother suddendly shouts out..."Hey! Jason's got the biggest Tits at the Table!!!"
Allright...I am sporting a rather nice pair of MOOBS these days, but did not need to hear that. The worst part is that EVERYONE laughed - mom, step dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, nephew...They all got a good chuckle...And I'll admit - it was a) almost correct and b) pretty funny.

I didn't go to Christmas dinner...But I did finally decide to get WLS
I'm going to pond my "Moobs" into rock hard "Pecs" and it all starts next Tuesday (my sleeve date).

BTW: I do have a pretty face!

J

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 4:17 am
Topic: RE: B-12

Natures Bounty Sublingual B Complex - 1 dropper under the tongue.
1,200 mcg of B-12 per dropper, % of daily value...20,000%
Also has 100% of Riboflavin, Niacin, B-6 and 300% Pantothenic Acid (whatever that is)
It's only like 6.00

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 4:09 am
Topic: RE: UBER PISSED

I hear ya -
Once I finished with the shrink and he faxed his thumbs up to my surgeon , they faxed to Anthem the next day...I called 2-3 times for the next week and my Dr's office had not heard back.
I called Anthem: Never heard of it, knew nothing (this is a week later).
Called surgeons office..."Hmm, lets fax it again..."
---more waiting---
Called the office and then Anthem again - s/a, never heard of it - no claim...
-started to get uber pissed myself-
-called to Surgeons office - the insurance lady is on vacation for a week...WTF!!!
-talked to another office person and the bariatric advocate...They faxed it for the THIRD time
-Called Anthem 3 days later....ditto, same F'n thing
---
So I called my SURGEON and said WTF!
-a day later Anthem had a case/claim # and it was assigned to a nurse "pending review"
-3 days later the girl from Ipanema was back from vacation...Called me with the news I was approved.
--2.5 weeks later Anthem sends me a letter saying I'm approved....Gee Thanks!
-------

Bottom line is to call call call! harass the ever loving **** out of them until you get some answers!
Its just business aqnd numbers to them - they don't realize what have emotionally invested in this decision and the simple "Approved or Denied"....

I just finished my last pre-op meeting with my surgeon, took a EKG and donated more of my blood (and a boatload of $$$)...But I am all green lights for next tuesday at 8:00am!

It took 3 faxes of my info and my surgeon personally chewing asses to get it rolling.
Don't leave it up to them - be a ***** if needed...i was an A-Hole about it...Hell, the Hospital and surgeon are making Uber Dollars on this.
Actually my surgeon and his team are really good - Anthem BC/CA are the ones *****ally screwed the pooch..

Good luck

J

Ulysses
on 4/20/11 2:37 pm
Topic: RE: net carbs?

I used the Atkins diet for years so I can tell you what "net carbs" are.

Net carbs are usually 'total' carb grams minus the fiber grams...So a Bar with 12 carbs and 7g of fiber would have a net 'digestible or soluble' count of only 5 'real carbs'.
--You are also supposed to subtract carbs that come from sugar alcohols (glycerin).

From Atkins...
"You actually count grams of Net Carbs, which represent the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber content. The Net Carbs number reflects the grams of carbohydrate that significantly impact your blood sugar level and therefore are the only carbs you need to count

here is a link you may find handy...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_carbohydrates

J

Ulysses
on 4/20/11 2:04 pm
Topic: RE: YIKES! Day 1 and starving......

My surgeon doesn't require ANY pre-op diet. He only told me to not gain any weight before surgery.
I am on day 9 of my own voluntary pre-op diet...

Everything I read just say's the pre-op is better for you in the long run. I have lost 14 pounds so far and my sleeve date is next Tuesday. I actually feel really good now, but I was ready to grill the neighbors cat after the 1st day. I live alone so I removed everything "bad" from my house and that made it a lot easier.

Just know that around day 2-3 of the pre-op just kinda settles in and the intense hunger DOES go away....Or at least is managable.

Gah**Cough#Spweet!....Sorry, that was a furball

J

Ulysses
on 4/20/11 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Insurance Approval ?
A nut is just short for Nutritionalist -
Cheers!
J

Most Active
Recent Topics