Ulysses’s Posts

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 5:17 am
Topic: RE: Interesting facts about the BMI Scale

I belive the BMI scale is a joke.
I am 6'3 and have a very "large frame" see:
www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php
To find out yours...

According to the standard BMI my weight (smack in the middle of normal) should be 172 pounds.
That would give me a BMI of 22 - I would be a beanpole at 172 and would have to lose a LOT of muscle mass to achieve that weight.

When I was in the best shape of my life I weighed 210-220 pounds
I look really good at 230: but anything over 198 Lbs puts me firmly into the "overweight" category. and 230 puts me a 1 point away from Obese.

It's a joke

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 4:56 am
Topic: RE: Do You Make These 10 Common Mistakes Before Weighing Yourself?
I don't have many of those scale issues...(great post btw)
But I do have an odd "sneak attack" way of getting on it. I tap the scale with my toe, when it says it's ready I just EEEeeease myself onto it...As if that will help!
J
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 4:41 am
Topic: RE: Finally home
If you would have stayed another day - I would have had a room right beside you!
Glad it went well...Esoecially since we have the same surgeon!
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 4:29 am
Topic: RE: The reality of being obese
Have a great time -
Airplanes SUCK for us!
I an 6'3, wear size 15-16 shoes and am 400+ - so I feel your pain.
I go in with the "I don't give a **** attitude" and I WILL win the armrest battle....Which is more mental warfare than physical...I did buy my own extender so I would not have to ask the waif's that bring the Sprite. Have a nice trip to Mexico and enjoy those great drugs!

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 4:22 am
Topic: RE: Pre-Op Peeps: You may want to read this.....

I have Anthem BCBS PPO Exclusive (like a Sandals resort).
I had to pay my surgeons office an upfront estimated down payment of 1600.00 last week.
I better not have a bill that will be larger than a trip down to Mexico - especially after all the crap i had to go through to get approved.
I did check my policy - which has a yearly deductible of 400.00 and covers 90% of all hospital to a yearly out of pocket max for me of 1700.00.
I hope that the 1600 I already paid covers most of it.
J

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 4:12 am
Topic: RE: 2 Days....

Oi!
That was a well written and inspired diatribe Mandi!
You have a business making other people look beautiful - so be selfish all you want and meke yourself happy...I say happy because you are a beautiful already OUTSIDE and In...
BTW: WhoTF decided to make BEUATIFUL so hard to ******g spell? I hope I got it right.
I know you will kick ass and "rock that sleeve"
Here is some inspirational music for you (I will sing this loud and horribly!)
It's a song by the baddest man around, more macho than Tom Jones, cooler than Lenny Kravitz, has more attitude than Eminem and could kick Chuck Norris's ASS....
The one, the only....Barry "The Big Dawg" Manilow!

"Caught up in a world of uphill climbing
The tears are in my mind
And nothing is rhyming, OH Mandi!

Well you came and you gave without taking
but I sent you away, OH MandiI
well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, OH Mandi!

Yesterday's a dream I face the morning
Crying on the breeze
the pain is calling, OOOOHHHhhhhh MANDI!!!!

Well you came and you gave without taking
but I sent you away, OHhh **** MANDI!!!!
well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, OOOoooHhhhhhh MAAAAAaannnDDddddi!!!!"

The neighbor is now pounding his foot on the floor (my ceiling) I'll just assume that's applause for my performance. Happy sleeve to you girl!

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 3:57 pm
Topic: RE: backhanded NSV...
"well it's about time she did something, I really don't know why she let herself go like that and why she couldn't just get up and lose the weight already.  But I am happy for you, the last thing you need honey is to be attached to someone who just sits around and gets bigger and bigger"

What a nasty, venomous old hag!

I'm sorry but that's just something someone (esp in the family) should never say -  even if they think its a private conversation.

I would hire an old guy, a couple of women and a camera man...Have them knock on the old bags door with a big "Publishers Clearing House Check"...Then break the news...Sorry! Danielle just thought you could use a good laugh!
Or at least do the classic "flaming bag-o-dog crap" on her doorstep...

Glad the rest of your day was good.

J

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 1:00 pm
Topic: RE: had the tlk with my mom about surgery

My moms is the only one I have told (besides EVERYONE here ;) - she was way supportive and is almost as excited about it as I am...

I had to tell someone as I needed a ride back from the hospital!
If anyone else asks after I start losing I will just say I'm on Atkins again.
I have been through "Thick and Thin" many times - so no one but me and my mom have to know.
Its a personal choice for everyone...Oh, my Dad knows - but he is a PCP in Vegas and had the RNY himself 3 years ago.
Best of luck in your journey!

J

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 11:15 am
Topic: RE: PET FAT!
LOL...Right on!
It is amazing what 200 pound will do to a person..
Especially since I have Before/before pics...And now new before pics
That didn't make any sense....Oh well
J
Ulysses
on 4/24/11 11:11 am
Topic: RE: Cramping

Hey,
I get those occasionally - is it like your calf and thigh muscles that cramp up?
When I get them it hurts like a *****!
Sometimes it can be caused by dehydration (not an issue for me)
Or being low on certain levels of potassium, calcium, and other minerals in your blood.
good luck,
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 10:56 am, edited 4/24/11 11:00 am
Topic: RE: PET FAT!

I don't know if this is gross or kind of cool...

I still have an original Pet Rock named Zeus that my dad gave me from the 70's.
But this little gem is worth a look...
Some people use it as motivation - I would actually keep it as a pet.

Check this site out:
www.mypetfat.com

You can order 1 pound, 5 pounds or a 1 ounce Mini-Travel size Pet Fat...
Here is what the company says about Pet Fat:

"mypetfat is highly endorsed and used as a weight loss educator and motivator by instructors, coaches, trainers, nutritionists, nurses and doctors everyday. Whether you need to lose a little bit of weight, a lot of weight, or maintain your weight, mypetfat will help you be much more mindful of what you’re eating, and even help motivate you to get up off the couch and move. "

images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/976874/albums/106930/ 001LB-2.jpg

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 8:19 am
Topic: RE: Pre-op diet question
WOW! Thats harsh!
Almost 40 days of famine....My surgeon only requires full liquid the day before and 1 week post up. Then he moves to stage II - basically adding shakes and pudding.
Its amazing how different every surgeon is.
J

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 8:08 am
Topic: RE: wHAT IS THE ACTUAL PURPOSE OF 6 MONTH SUPERVISED dIET?
I believe it's the insurance companies last ditch effort to avoid paying for the procedure.
I have never seen the benefit or need of the 6 month "supervised" diet.
If you lose lots of weight....Great you don't need WLS! Or now your BMI is too low
If you gain weight...Hello? We can't maintain on diets! So I failed another diet....Again!
They just seem to me like a waste of time and is almost an oxymoron - damned if you do, and damned if you didn't.
If your PPC or Surgeon (these are medical professionals if i'm not mistaken) recommend to Insurance that you NEED WLS and typical diet programs have FAILED...Then why the 6 months???

That's my .02 cents (I didn't have to do one with Anthem)

J

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 7:56 am
Topic: RE: 9 months out and so in love with my sleeve.
I just checked out your profile photos...
What a fantastic change, you also have GREAT teeth!

What is amazing to me is to see not only the change in size, but the change in a persons entire "vibe" or demeanor...It's like you have or new spark, a vitality and an aura of happiness that was just not there before. Your pics definitely show this.

I see this in a lot of before and after pics...Its like a rebirth of someones soul, or mojo or whatever..The before pics usually show someone looking tired, downtrodden and almost lost or hopeless. The after pics always seem to...GLOW - thats the damn word I have been floundering around for!

You are really glowing now!
Congrats on your success...
I get my sleeve this Tuesday - see you on the LB
regards,
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 4:59 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone else feel like an ice cube post-op?
COOL! (pun intended).
I could save a fortune on my A/C bill this summer!
I'll find out soon enough bro,
J
BTW: LMAO @ "I get cold like a little B***ch.....now! "

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 4:51 pm
Topic: RE: right reasons or wrong reasons
I can relate to what you are feeling...
But I believe you need to start trusting the facts and stop 2nd guessing yourself.
My Father is a PCP and graduated the top of his class at UCSD Medical School
He had RNY WSL 4 years ago and I still have a father because of it!

Insurance would not cover WLS if it WAS NOT a recognized Disease!

This is from the Bariatric Center of Excellence:

The Disease of Obesity
---Obesity is a major health issue in America today, second only to tobacco use as the leading preventable cause of death. Consider these facts:
  • Two-thirds of all American adults are overweight
  • One in 20 Americans is considered morbidly obese (100 or more pounds overweight)
  • Obesity rates have nearly doubled in the last 20 years
  • 400,000 people die every year from obesity and related issues
The prevailing cause in the vast majority of individuals is genetic. Most people are clearly born with a genetic predisposition to become overweight. Studies of individuals adopted at birth show that they more often end up in the weight category of their biological parents than that of their adopted parents, as “nature" overrides “nurture" in these instances.
Chin up my friend, you are doing the right thing. There is no shame in WLS - another fact...Out of 100 people who lose 100lbs or more. ONLY 1% keep it off without WLS.
There is no "mutilation" here, if you needed gall bladder surgery to save your life then you would get it...No difference saving your life with VSG.

Jason

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 3:11 pm
Topic: RE: Week 5 pic 349lbs started at 420lbs
Congrats,
That is AWESOME progress my friend!!!
70 pounds in just over a month...wow!
I get my sleeve on Tuesday - my cw is 442 and should be maybe 435-440 after the clear liquids I start tomorrow. So we are almost the same weight going in.
I really hope I have the same results that you and Barry have had.
Q? How tall are you?
Again, congratulations

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 1:20 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone else feel like an ice cube post-op?

Women are ALWAYS cold...What gives?
I have always been "hot-blooded?" and constanly thinks it's too warm.
I like it to be cold when I sleep and I usually have a fan on all 4 seasons.
I wonder if its a woman thing (keeping the internal baby machine warm) or a WLS thing?
I guess I'll find out myself....If I turn into a reptile and need a heat lamp soon I will know.

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 9:07 am
Topic: RE: Home and sleeved!
Congats on your sleeve!
I had a pre-admission nurse that was just like your pre-op nurse.
This was last Thursday -
Check this: After finally drawing blood - I guess I have "Roller Veins" she did the EKG.
She then told me that my heart was on the right side of my body...
She did the EKG again to confirm that I did indeed have my heart on the right..
---No problem, I don't care where it is as long as it works.
Got a call from the Hospital Friday am saying I needed to come in RIGHT AWAY.
Whole different game if my beat box is on the other side of my chest..
---
Well 2 hours later I come to find out that the nurse had one leed off on the EKG device!
My heart is on the left and is in very good shape...
I think Pre-Ops and Pre-Ad nurses are PRE for a reason!

Best ogf luck in your journey...

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 7:49 am
Topic: RE: FRUSTRUATED!!!!! Sorry alittle long
It is indeed Tuesday.
At 10:00am (have to be there at 8:00)
I wanna be on the losers bench in a bad way...
J
Ulysses
on 4/23/11 6:57 am
Topic: RE: Is Popcorn alright to eat?

I read in other posts that a lot of people that have VSG eat popcorn.
It can be low-calorie (fat free butter flavor) and one cannot eat that much before being full.
It also satisfies the "crunch factor" that is so lacking on the diet.
The little 100 calorie mini-microwave bags are pretty popular and could probably be easily smuggled into the movies so you don't have to pay 39.95 for a small bag...
regards,
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 6:36 am
Topic: RE: starving!

I am also two days away from getting my sleeve and on the liquid diet. Monday will all clear liquids and nothing after midnight...Surgery Tuesday am.

It is hard, I really want a food funeral today/tonight...I tell myself that its only once and its the last chance I'll have to eat normally again. THEN I go and look at myself in the mirror, or watch the scene in the "Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy---> when Klump goes to the night club on a date and the comedian Reggie tears his chunky ass up!

Reggie (Dave Chapelle)
"What would you DO for a Klondike bar!"
"If ya wear a red shirt all the kids in the hood shout..Kool-Aid!"
"You got more crack than HarIem. Look at that!"
"Boy's so fat, every time he turns around, it's his birthday!"
"Got to put his beIt on with a boomerang.
"
"Last time this brother feIt a breast, it was in a bucket of K.F.C.
"Now we know what's eating GiIbert Grape!"

Stick it out...I will!
best of luck--

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/23/11 6:14 am
Topic: RE: FRUSTRUATED!!!!! Sorry alittle long

Go on the offensive:
Say that her Lap Band is a dangerous archaic foreign object in her body. And the only foreign body you would tolerate in YOUR body damn sure better vibrate or be named Antonio Banderes.

I would ask her why her lap band and eating habits make her puke all the time...Tell her you are very concerned for her as the failure rate and complications of the band are terrible!

I would explain to her that your WLS and Dr. recommended nutritional guidelines are different then hers. So educate yourself before opening that hole under your nose!

And if letting her know that you have lost 40 lbs already isn't enough....

Punch that ***** right in the mouth!

Good luck

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 10:40 pm
Topic: RE: The boob song!

And here is one for the menfolk on OH
Ben Stiller in Dodgball:
The "Milkshake" song

youtu.be/q0YOcE9KSIo

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 10:28 pm
Topic: RE: Roll Call!! Where is everyone from??

Boise, I-D-A-H-O!
In the great Pacific Northwest

Home of the Boise State Broncos and the Blue Smurf Turf.
Never in my life have I seen a potato plant...

Most Active
Recent Topics