Ulysses’s Posts

Ulysses
on 8/5/11 1:51 pm
Topic: RE: hunger after the sleeve?

I am a little over 3 months post op and I am never hungry...Not even "head hunger" for me. I have to make myself eat and drink protein shakes because the urge is just not there.
Oddly enough, I am a "foodie" and used to cook all the time. I still watch the Food Network a lot but it never makes me hungry...Pretty sadistic huh?
Good luck

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 8/3/11 3:22 pm
Topic: RE: SCARED
Just guessing that it's "Diarrhea"...
AKA - "the hershey squirts"...
Jason

"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 8/2/11 2:39 pm
Topic: RE: Has anyone heard from Ulysses lately?
Hey Primyzia,
I went for my surgery on 4/26, had some major complications and just got out of the hospital about 2 weeks ago. Basically during my VSG a hole "magically" appeared between my new stomach and my esophogus...All the liquids/broth I had over the next few days went into my guts, turned poisonous/septic and F'd me up.
It was an experience I would not care to repeat, but it's in the past! I went in when it was cold, and came out when it was hot - the TV sucked too. Plus the A-Holes would not give me an ice chip or water for two months.....GAH!
All up from here....
Regards,
Jason

Ulysses
on 8/2/11 2:07 pm
Topic: RE: Has anyone heard from Ulysses lately?
I have! He told me he is doing fine, happy to be home and has lost 91 pounds so far.
He misses the sponge baths from the cute nurses, but loves his own shower!
He got a STD from his employer and will be back at work on September 1st (Short Term Disability in case you were wondering ;)
Right now he is busy pirating...Errr downloading for review all of the TV shows and movies he missed during his stay in the Prison Hospital - ICU Block.

Actually I am doing pretty good, still trying to get my land legs back after being flat on my back for almost 3 months. But, no walker and no cane or assistance needed anymore...Trying to put the whole nasy experience behind me and focus on the future...lmost 100lbs down is a great way to start - and I AM happy I got the sleeve.

Cheers!

Jason

Ulysses
on 8/1/11 12:38 pm
Topic: RE: Had aurfery on Friday?????
Hi,
It looks to me like you are not getting enough fluids in. 2oz per hour is really not that much, if your up 16 hours a day then that is only 32 ounces.
Congrats on your surgery and HYDRATE!
Regards,

Jason

Ulysses
on 8/1/11 12:32 pm
Topic: RE: 100 lbs gone since surgery - 113 from highest :)

Big time congrats dude!
I am right behind you on the century mark - 9lbs to go. I had my VSG on 4/26
That's too bad you can' get the shakes down, so easy to get the protein with them.
Looks like your doing great without them though...
I am also doing good with "mini-gulps" - it sure helps getting the fluids in.
Good luck getting to goal  - you are real close.
Regards,

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/31/11 1:24 pm
Topic: RE: Home after 6 nights in the hospital!!!
Hi Tonya,
I am sure it was not there before the surgery.
I believe that the surgeon probably nicked it with the sonic scalpel or the staple gun, as the last part they fire the staple is the very hard to see part of the stomach right by the esophogus.
The leak definitely occured during the operation.

I could write an essay on my time in the hospital, but suffice it to say it was not pleasant. I am still trying to get my 'land legs' back. That long on your back with just a few walks takes ALL the strength out of your legs. I was just one of the unlucky ones who had the "fine print" complications - I'm still happy to have the sleeve, and luckly my job too (gotta love the FMLA Act)...

Cheers,
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/31/11 12:56 pm
Topic: RE: Home after 6 nights in the hospital!!!
Well....I has my VSG on 4/26/11 and just came home from the hostpital about two weeks ago. I had major complications (basically there was a hole between my esophogus and new stomach) - everything I drank post op went straight into my gut and went septic/poisonous.

After 2 months in the ICU, 3 weeks in a rgular room and COUNTLESS other procedures I finally sprung the joint. It was great to be home! So I can relate to your frustration of being stuck in the hospital with a bunch of 'expert' surgeons not knowing why you are so sic****il its almost too late.

Glad your home safe and sound -
And hey! I have lost close to 100lbs since my surgery - hate to see my insurance bill though

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/31/11 8:47 am
Topic: RE: On liquids what kind of soups can I eat?
Try this - go buy some Ramen noodles, throw away the noodles and just use the flavor packet.
I really like Cream of Chicken, Shrimp and the Spicey. It's uber cheap too.
Regards,
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/31/11 8:00 am
Topic: RE: So, how did you tell people or didn't tell people?
"Honey Badger don't give a ****" - that is funny.
Honey Badgers are the rudest, nastiest and ferocious animals in Africa. I watched a special on them and they will attack lions, Cape Buffolo - anything. They are also infamous for going straight for "the family jewels" during an attack....Terrifying!
Honey Badgers don't play!
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/30/11 6:50 am
Topic: RE: Picking your goal weight
My surgeon never gave or asked me for a goal weight. What my PCP told me was to ignore the "ideal weight" standards - especially considering my body stats.
I am a guy with a very large frame, 6'3 and wear size 15-16 shoes - according to the ideal weight standard I should weigh between 152 and 192.
I think that is ridiculous!
My high school weight (football, wrestling etc) was about 215 pounds. I wore a size 32 levi button fly jeans (this was the late 80s;) and actually had ab muscles. Even at this weight/BMI 27 I would be officially overweight and just 3 BMI short of obese.
That is some Bull**** right there!

I set my own goal weight at 220 - if I happen to go lower or max out at 230-240 so be it. I still look good at 230-250 due to my body type. Also, my damn clown feet (I hate clowns) probably weigh in at 15lbs each. ;) Ignore the charts and go with what feels (or used to feel good) to you. The person who configured those ideal weight standards must have had a tapeworm.

Best of luck and congrats on your success so far -
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/29/11 7:26 am
Topic: RE: c25K - Week 5 spam
Congrats on your weight loss and the running!
I have not ran or jogged anywhere in at least 6 years.
Once I get under 300 lbs I will try your routine.
Its real inspiring to see what you have done...
Regards,
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/29/11 7:18 am
Topic: RE: Eating less - saving money?
I definitely am saving money, I live alone so I just buy for myself.
Before VSG I would spend around 80.00 a week at the grocery store, 40.00/week at work for lunches/take out/machine junk, and drive throughs a few times per week.
Probably around 120.00 a week at least - thats 480.00 a month in food!!!

I now spend FAR LESS...1/2 gallon of milk a week, I bought 5 lb tubs of my protein at TS Supplements. and when at the store I buy nice cuts of meat then cut out 3oz portions to freeze. All told maybe 100.00 a month total including my vitamins.

Oh yeah - I don't drink coffee, but was a diet soda freak. I also used to buy a 3.00 Rockstar energy drink (24oz) to start my day, then diet soda untill bed. I have cut all that out, saving at leat 100.00 a month (that habit was exspensive!).

Just another benefit of the sleeve...Extra cash!

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/29/11 6:59 am
Topic: RE: Follow up Part B.. This ***** is cancer free!
That is AWESOME news!!!
What a relief to have that monkey off your back.
Have a great anniversary!
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/28/11 10:19 am
Topic: RE: Lost 100 lbs!!
Congrats!
I am right behind you - only 12 pound to go before 100 lost.
Good luck in the future  - i'm sure it just gets better and better.

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/28/11 10:10 am
Topic: RE: OT: Need A Laugh Super ******g Funny!!!

My Ex-Wife used to demand that before I put her down for a nap I had to spin her around 3X, then kiss her feet 6X each. I thought that was a bit odd, but now I know I was not alone.
Funny post -

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/28/11 9:30 am
Topic: RE: Fun Thread- What NSV will you NEVER have?
I'm with you on the car seat scenario.
I am 6'3 and wear size 15-16 shoes; when I sit or drive a car my damn feet hit the accelerator and brake at the same time a lot.
Even when I was in shape I had the same problems, and my feet were that size before I got so fat.
So I'll never be comfortable in a car or an economy airline seat
I did buy a Ford Expedition that actually fit, but when ga**** almost 4.00 a gallon I couldn't afford (no pun intended) to pay almost 20.00 a day to get to work and back - had to trade it in.

Why can't you buy a 5 speed anymore these days???

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/26/11 9:40 am
Topic: RE: Bye 400s, see ya NEVER!
Congrats!
I was at 460lbs 3 months ago - today I'm at 374. Getting past that 400lb mark was great.
It's nice to be past the "super duper morbidly obese" freak stage. We still have a long way to go, but I'm happy and gunning for the century club (14lbs to go) and the under three hundred mark.
Way to go Jean B!

Jason

Ulysses
on 7/25/11 3:55 pm
Topic: RE: Birthday NSV Happy Fun Time! (With Pics!)
Lookin great WK!
You can totally see the weight loss all over; especially in your face.
Congrats!
Jason

Ulysses
on 7/14/11 10:27 am
Topic: RE: 2.5 months in the hospital - finally HOME!
Hello all,

Yes! Finally home!
I got my sleeve on April 26th but had some major complications afterward and spent 2 and a half months in the hospital.

Apparently there was hole where my esophagus met up with my new stomach, the "food" that I ate after surgery (jello, broth etc) went straight into my gut and not the stomach...It went septic and I started going downhill. The walks got harder and harder, pain got worse and by the time I started showing a fever I was in some trouble. My lungs got infected and I went into respitory failure, I went back to surgery and got 4 drains put in to purge the nastiness out. I had a trache put in and was breathing through my windpipe - because of the trache I could not speak for almost two months. That sucked! The ICU sucked - no sleep, blood draws constantly and whatever else they could think of to bother me every 10 minutes day and night...Gads!

Good news is I am home and sleeved, still really weak, but home. That long in the hospital takes all the strength out of your body. I have a lot of physical rehab to do but it's GREAT being out of the hospital. I can talk and have all the crap that was attached to me out, just on oxygen for a while. I was on IV feeding for a while and then tube feeding (straight down the nose and into the stomach****il 10 days ago. All pretty high calorie stuff, but I have managed to lose 70lbs.

Thanks to everone for all the concern, prayers and well wishes - it really means a lot.
I'm off to get more shakes and fluid down. And still have to face the milk and food that was sitting in the fridge for months.

Cheers,

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 10:33 am
Topic: RE: SLEEVED in T-Minus 15 Hours!

So tomorrow is the big day! I get there at 8:00am and have the super cool "express check-in" pass. My surgeon has one patient before me, so I am glad he will be awake and warmed up.
I'm so super stoked about this…On nothing but clear liquids today and I am not hungry; must be the excitement…It's weird, but I am not nervous at all.

The only thing I am afraid of is that when I wake up in recovery they will tell me the procedure was cancelled or something. "Yeah, we had to abort the surgery because a baby Xenomorph ALIEN was discovered incubating in your stomach. You also owe us 75K because the vicious little ******* spit acid on my harmonic scalpel and bit off a nurses toe while making it's escape!"

I will post as soon as I get back…I'm packing up my bag, gonna manscape and give my ass a good scrubbing…Probably shave off my goatee and clip my toe nails (like they give a ****)…NOT looking forward to the catheter! I hope my nurses are cute….

See you all on the SLEEVED SIDE!!!

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 9:51 am
Topic: RE: Blue Shield of California PPO ??
I have Anthem BCBS PPO Exclusive out of CA
My surgeon's office had to submit the paperwork 3X (and then call them himself) before some nitwit finally started a case - it was "pending" for less than a week when the staff from my surgeons office called and it was approved. So - pretty fast, just keep on them!

I received a letter from Anthem about a week ago saying I was approved....I was like "gee thanks" for letting me know a month later.

Good luck

Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 8:18 am
Topic: RE: 1st Day of Pre-Op diet
Right on Lisa!
Ditto on your surgery - I have to be there at 8:00am
Just packing all my stuff and getting ready
Not nervous at all!
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 8:03 am
Topic: RE: 1st Day of Pre-Op diet

I finished my two week pre-op yesterday and am on all clear liquids today.
My surgery is tomorrow -
I really had no issues with it, but I did have an advantage. I'm single and live by myself, so I made sure there was nothing in the cupboards or fridge that was NOT allowed.

Day 2-3 I started thinking about cheating but didn't - after that you kinda get into a "zone" and its not that hard. I have lost 20 pounds so far and probably more by tomorrow morning as the all clear liquids are not wasting any time on staying IN my body...

Stick to it - it gives you a jump start, and then the real losing will begin!
best of luck,
Jason

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 5:58 am
Topic: RE: Interesting facts about the BMI Scale
I always have had a problem with the BMI scale...Straight out of High School I was 6'1 (had a 2nd puberty the next few years ;). I played football and wrestled - I tried to join the Air Force and at that time (ah to be 18 again) I weighed 185 pounds...I was all MUSCLE and MULLET!

The AF said I had to be at 172 to be accepted (it has changed now). I tried every trick I knew to make that weight (spitting, dieretics, laxatives, fasting) - all wrestling tricks on making weight...
Never could get below 176 and I was denied - "Try the Army son"...
Hell, I had veins that went from the top of my biceps to my thumbs, and VISABLE ab muscles. Still a no-joy on the Air Forrce because of the friggin BMI Standard.

It gots to go...
Most Active
Recent Topics