Ulysses’s Posts

Ulysses
on 4/17/11 9:53 am
Topic: RE: CPAP
Really don't know about the CPAP - my dad had RNY and still wears his (he has bad asthma).
But Congratulations on the weight loss!!!
I get my sleeve in 8 days and that is Out-Friggin-Standing!
My surgeon told me to expect something similar to that kind of initial loss because I am tall 6'3, am one of the "SUPER Obese" at 450, and have an X-Large body frame.
You will be fat to PHAT in no time
J
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/17/11 8:12 am
Topic: RE: There are no NEWBIES
Have you tried it with Internet Explorer? It could be anything, but it's not the site - I am a noob and all is working well. I have a MAC and am using firefox.

Try dumping cookies/cache/history from firefox and restarting your computer. It may be a plug in or java issue if the buttons and tickers are not showing...

Either way, try the cookies/cache/history/temp file dump/removal and a restart.
If you CAN view in IE or Safari (other browsers) then it is for sure your Firefox browser.

"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Ulysses
on 4/17/11 7:09 am
Topic: RE: psyc eval... to tell or not to tell?

Every Psych eval is different from what I have heard. Mine was like mrmoms...A LOT of t/f questions (341 to be exact) it was a standardized MIPS test - here is what it says:

Addresses Key Dimensions of Normal Personalities

While brief to administer, the MIPS Revised test provides a comprehensive, up-to-date evaluation that encompasses and subsumes many other normal personality assessments, such as the NEO-PI, the MBTI, and the 16PF. The MIPS Revised instrument addresses three key dimensions of normal personalities:

• Motivating Styles, anchored to Evolution and Psychoanalytic theories, helps to assess the person's emotional style of relating to his/her environment;
  • Thinking Styles, anchored to Jungian theories, helps examine the person's mode of cognitive processing; and
  • Behaving Styles,  anchored to Interpersonal and Social theories, helps assess the person's way of working with and relating to others.

This widely useful test offers a convenient tool to help professionals assist ostensibly normally functioning adults who may be experiencing difficulties in work, family or social relationships. It may also be helpful in career counseling or employment settings. In addition, the tests Clinical Index is useful in helping to screen for the possible presence of mental disorders in persons who present as normal.

All I can say is  just get through it (if you have the 3 hour appt like I did) and don't answer any of the obvious questions that would identify you as the next DEXTER with a sleeve.

I read your other thread and it sounds like you are doing the right thing - the healthy thing; especially with a man who would even insinuate violence...That's just unacceptable - and coming from another man...Cowardly.

I would NOT mention to the shrink that you have recently been seperated...He/she will ask about your home dynamic and support - tell him that you are a) married b) have a wonderful kid and c) that your husband will be taking care of all domestic duties when you return home! WHAT A GREAT GUY! And you did not lie.....Just "elaborated"...
Best of luck - I'm sure it will be fine.
J

Ulysses
on 4/16/11 6:36 am
Topic: RE: NSV Macbook PhotoBooth Happiness.. (pics)

I am a MAC user as well - they rock.
I can't stand the Chipmunks and never could...Theodore was the chubby one - singing rodents just have no place in the world; much like Mimes and Clowns...They all need to just go away.

It is an amazing difference...Although all I could first see were the boobs and the bangs. The bangs have definitely improved - you look great!

I'll be sleeved in under 10 days...Booyah!
J

Ulysses
on 4/15/11 3:50 pm
Topic: RE: 6 months surgiversary with before and now pictures!

That is an amazing transformation - you look GREAT!
Loved your random thoughts list too

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 2:45 pm
Topic: RE: What's your favorite physical attribute?
On April 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM Pacific Time, Stacy160 wrote:
Awesome!  I keep a tub of Hydrocal, a bucket, and some paint stirrers in my car, just for when big hairy guys like you leave your tracks behind
That is awesome! You could make a cast of my foot impressions in the mud and take them to the top scientists in the north west....
"Definitely bi-pedal, enormous prints, and judging by the depth of the impression - at least 400 Lbs...This has got to be the best evidence yet to support the existence of Bigfoot"
 - We could get a spot on Monster Quest..

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 2:41 pm
On April 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Pacific Time, Jennchap wrote:
 that you wear big shoes? haha
exactly...Big gloves and overpriced shoes!

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 10:50 am
Topic: RE: No more hoop jumping!
Congrats!

I still have a Pre-Surgery Class and a Pre-Op visit with my surgeon next week. I'm on my Pre-Op diet now; actually---it hasn't been too bad (my 3rd day).

I get my sleeve at 10:00am on the 26th...Once I actually wake up from that I will consider all my PRE-this/that and the other thing finished...

Best of luck and regards,
J

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 10:24 am

I LOVE my size 16 feet...

---I can cause a quite a stir at a campground by running barefoot around the lake mud early in the morning...Sasquatch was here!!!
---I can hit the accelerator and brake at the same time in almost every vehicle...
---As if air travel wasn't FUN enough, try it in these wonderful yacht's with laces I have...
---Shoes only cost 125-400.00 a pair (online) and never fit...
---I can swim (and have been mistaken for) a manatee!
---I AM the dance floor
---In the bedroom - "Here we are...Just the 4 of us"
---Huge hands, Huge feet....And of course? god must have a sense of humor...
I could go on, but I have to go beat up a Clown....Pretenders.

~J

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 9:37 am
Topic: RE: Quitting Smoking for surgery

CChampion,

I had 2 diet cokes yesterday and a lot of Crystal Light...The CL just doesn't have the same FIZZ that soda does; I think that is what I'll miss about soda. I looked up caffeine levels and regular coffee has like 3X the amount that Coke/Pepsi does. And I see people at work that fill up these gigantic super big gulp looking coffee kegs every 2 hours...I know that its the thrilling effervescence of the carbonation that wakes me up, not the caffeine. Ah well, small price to pay.

My Mom and step dad actually like the E-Ciggs, my sister and I ordered them both high dose (you can order different levels of nicotine) "Safe-Cig" starter packs last Christmas (they were not too thrilled). But after they tried them they like them a lot. Both of them are old school/refuse to quit and have OCPD, and unfortunately still smoke but A LOT less with the e-ciggs...They both tried Chantix and it didn't work for them - we are on them constantly about it and they get pissed! But they do order the replacement safe cig refills (so they can "smoke" in our houses)...It's freaky - it looks JUST like a cigarette and smoke (vapor) comes out...Just none of the carcinogens, smell etc. just nicotine.

I was also under the impression that carbonation and caffeine were worse than nicotine - they are both legal stimulants...Keep in mind that your body is only addicted to nicotine for up to 72 hours - after that is more the habitual ritual that you will miss.

Cheers and good luck!
J

Ulysses
on 4/14/11 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Quitting Smoking for surgery
Sorry (happy?) to say that I am not a smoker either, but also wondered about it.
They really seem to emphasis absolutely no smoking before WLS - why?
My mom is a heavy (no pun intended) smoker and is considering WLS..
1) How would they even know?
2) is it the nicotine? would a tobacco chewer have to quit smokeless tobacco?
3) What about E-Cigarettes? - Moms is trying those too
4) How about patches, gum etc etc...
---I am having enough problems ditching caffeine and my 5-6 can a day diet coke habit, along with day 3 of my pre-op diet. I can't imagine what you must be going through -
Best of luck with that
~J

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 4:00 pm
Topic: RE: Do you have that one thing

That's awesome that you bagged and tagged the Mullet...
Rock of Ages is great..Drew Bowie!
I liked most of the "New Wave" stuff, and was a cross between Emilio and Judd...The brat pack was great. I think i'll go watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High now...
Ulysses
on 4/13/11 1:47 pm
I loved the 80s too -
Duran Duran, Aha, Flock of Seagulls and the "Hair Bands"...
I rocked the mullet too, Patrick Swayze feared my Mullet.
 - If I ever do see the inside of those jeans again, i'll post pics!
J
Ulysses
on 4/13/11 1:31 pm
Topic: RE: Husband for free. please take him!

Solution....

Threaten to "cease and desist" all BJ's until he gets his **** straight.

When I was married, thats how my wife controlled me.

Good luck
J

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 1:24 pm
Hi,

I have hauled around 2 or 3 pairs of Levi 501 button fly jeans size 34/32 from the late 80s when i was in high school...I would love to slide my once fine man-ass back into those jeans.

I'm glad the 80s fashion seems to be coming back, I still have 8 swatches and a decent assortment of other cheesy 80s clothes I would like to wear.
Cheers
J

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 1:13 pm
Topic: RE: Guys - testosterone/libido questions
Snowbaby -

Never fear, from what I have read - all will be more than good down there after VSG.
Fat turns testosterone into estrogen. Estrogen is not good for men. Low testosterone is not good for men...Obviously.
Here are two links for you;
One is called "Uhh - Endowment?"
The other is called "Morning Wood and other things"
They are both from the Vertical Sleeve Talk "ManRoom" -
Enjoy! 

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14250-morning-wood-and-othe r-things/

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/4904-um-endowment/

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 9:27 am
Topic: RE: All aboard the Surgery Train!

Right on WK!

On your way from Fat 2 Phat!
I'll be 10 days behind you...best of luck

J

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 9:15 am
Topic: RE: Had my 3 mos check-up w/my surgeon today...

Hi F2F,

"resistance type exercising" is another way of saying lifting weights. Now these weights can be resistance bands or actual free weights/machines. Its arguably the BEST excercise one can do for your metabolism and weight loss. Even more so than cardio, as extra muscles burn more calories even when you are sleeping...

regards.
J

Ulysses
on 4/13/11 9:04 am
Topic: RE: Fat Feet? Who Knew? A 13 EEE NSV
johnbertak,

I don't know why your foot "length" would actually decrease...I would think that the ankle's/cankles? Would get smaller as fluid is lost..
I am in the same unfortunate "Gun-Boat" as you.
I wore size 13 in HS, and I now wear size 15 athletic shoes and 16 in dress shoes. I haven't been sleeved yet (12 more days!) but I never noticed my feet gaining weight like the rest of my body did.

I HOPE I drop a few foot sizes - buying 15/16 shoes is an expensive online nightmare...I don't have much hope for it though, i'm 6'3, had these feet before I was super-obese man, and could palm a basketball when i was 9...So I think your feet are genetic.

Cheers,
J

Ulysses
on 4/12/11 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: WHERE ARE THE GUYS WITH VSG?!

Yeah me too!
He retreated into the "Fat Cave" a while back...
He's the one who actually talked me into the surgery -
I informed it that good thing were in its future  

Ulysses
on 4/12/11 12:19 pm

I loved that "spin the bean" post!
She was right though......

Ulysses
on 4/12/11 11:37 am
Hey agard311,

Last time I could actually see it...I was indeed a Guy!

I have my sleeve scheduled for Tuesday April the 26th...
I don't have a real success story yet - other than the fact that I made it this far!
The process has been quite the ride though...
Lets keep in touch since were only a week apart.

Cheers!
~J

Ulysses
on 4/12/11 8:50 am
Topic: RE: miracle noodle

They make a Miracle Rice as well as the noodle...
0 calories and 0 carbs
Just do a search for mriacle Noodles on eBay and tons of products come up.
~J

Ulysses
on 4/11/11 4:57 pm
Topic: RE: 3 weeks out and I'm eating everything!! help!

Oi Firecap!

I am starting a voluntary 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow. My surgeon didn't tell me not to eat, or have any special pre-op diet (and he's the head of a Bariatric Center of Excellence). He just said not to GAIN any more weight before my surgery. I figure it can only help, not hurt; and gives me a jumpstart on the new lifestyle (which is in exactly 2 weeks!).

So tonight I had a huge well marbled Ribeye steak with garlic butter and mushrooms over it. Fried potatoes, and shrimp. And I am finishing off a Papa Murphy's Take-N-Bake Pizza leftover from last night while watching a movie. So yep, I ate everything at my pad 2night...I don't feel guilty about it either as I have nothing but low carb, liquid diet protein shake stuff left in the fridge and cupboards.

I have a lot of weight to lose, but the guy's seem to lose it a lot faster...
Soon, I'll be Ron F'n Burgundy
"Give her two tickets to the gun show...And see if she likes the goods!"
~J

Ulysses
on 4/11/11 1:40 pm
Topic: RE: GUILTY

Let me ask you a pretty easy straight up question...

Why are you having this surgery???

Is it because you have TRIED losing weight before and it DID NOT work for you?

Well there you go, if we could all lose weight with diet and exercise and KEEP it off then WLS would not be an option. If everyone tried and succeeded with the sometimes required and ridiculous 6-month diet attempt - then nobody would get approved. We would all be thin, healthy and happy - the Insurance companies would be thrilled! Hell...WE would all be thrilled!

Fact is, regular diets do not work for us, that is a fact. If everyone here could maintain and continue their pre-op loss then we would not need bariatric options. Screw that 6 month diet, its unfair and a double edged sword. if you suceed, nay-sayers and the Insurance can say - "There you have it, no WLS needed". And if you fail? BFD!

BTW: you did not FAIL anything, its not a test. Its big insurance trying to make it as hard as possible for you to have a medically necessary, life saving/changing procedure.

Best wishes and chin up Evie!

J

Most Active
Recent Topics