Hip and Leg Pain

Jorivero
on 8/6/19 4:50 pm

Recently at night my legs ache especially at my knees and my hips. Is this normal. I'm a year out.

White Dove
on 8/6/19 8:58 pm - Warren, OH

I dont think it is normal or related to your weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sMa66
on 8/7/19 11:08 am
VSG on 06/25/19

I have osteoarthritis in my knees. I'm 6 weeks post msg and have had more pain in my knees than before. My concern I will bring up at my next dr visit will be whether my body is absorbing the right amount of calcium and minerals for my arthritis. I know this isn't your issue but it is a good reminder to always make sure you are getting the adequate amount of calcium absorption.

Gwen M.
on 8/7/19 11:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It can be. After losing a lot of weight, the way I walk/run is all jacked up. It might be wise to do a consult with a physical therapist to check out your body mechanics.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/7/19 1:13 pm

Getting enough electrolytes, sodium, magnesium, potassium, can be tricky for us, post op WLS. Our portions are smaller than normal, and often some of the snacks, like yogurt, or protein shake, may no have enough even sodium to maintain proper electrolytes levels. Unfortunately our body needs correct amount of the minerals in the blood to maintain PH and circulation. But to do that - it may pull the minerals from our muscles, and even bones. Testing blood levels - will only tell you how well your body manage to maintain the minerals level in the blood.

Muscles spasms often indicate a shortage of the electrolytes. Or not enough water maintain in the muscles. The 2 things that keep water in the muscles are sodium and ..glycogen, the stored carbs. When we follow a low carb diet - and don't get enough sodium - the mineral imbalance and hydration is disrupted. In hot months or when I am more active, i often need to take sodium capsule or eat high sodium food like pickles, to replenish the sodium and other minerals in my body.

I have sciatica in my left leg. That leg is already compromised, so when my minerals, electrolytes are off, this leg would be affected first. But that would be muscles, not joints. Joint can hurt me due to spine - joints misalignment as I lost weight. Or they may be getting damaged, due to low calcium and minerals , vitamins deficiencies. I.e vit D, or iron, or not enough good fats, or... more things than I have space here to mention.

My joints start really hurting me app 2 years ago. I have IBS, and I SIBO, and now think I developed a leaky gut, that is causing food allergies and intolerance. Unfortunately, that affects my joints, causing increased inflammation I already have due my age and to osteoarthritis (inherited, genetic).

Taking fish oil to help the joints, other minerals for joints may help to slow down the damage that is probably there already. Like with many other things, weather affect my joints. The older I get, the more sensitive I get. It sucks. But - it is what it is.

Also - as you lost weight - yo probably also lost some padding around the joints. When I lost fat and muscle mass, my joints got more "wobbly", it was much easier for me to injure my joint that when I was heavy and more "grounded".

I am adding fish oil and other supplements (turmeric, etc) to see if I can help my joints and bones. i also added collagen in a drink, to help with teh bones and joints, and .. my gut issues. Collagen is not a complete protein, so it cant be counted toward our minimum protein needs, but collagen is great for skin, joints, hair, our gut lining, and many more things. I try to get at least 10-20 gr of hydrolyzed collagen per day. Bone broth, or any type of skin (like in pork rinds) can supply a lot of that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics