6 days post-op feel the same

Sunflowergirl9
on 7/23/19 9:21 pm
VSG on 07/18/19
  • I am 6 days post op and have felt hungry since the day of surgery. I am having no problems drinking fluids or eating popsicles and jello. If it wasn't from the pain of surgery i wouldn't even know i had it done!! Feeling really frustrated and tempted to eat something i shouldn't to test my pouch...
tracyringo
on 7/24/19 5:49 am
VSG on 08/09/17

Well I am surprised at 6 days out you are not swollen to the point you cant tell, but we are all different. You will definitely be able to tell once you are cleared for solids. Do not test your pouch. You don't want to bust the stitches inside.

You also may be experiencing acid issues you are mistaking for hunger. I did this and still do at times. It could also be thirst and not hunger. Call your surgeons office and see what they say. Good luck

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/24/19 9:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Testing your pouch can LITERALLY kill you. Progress your diet too quickly and you could rupture your staple line, cause a leak, and die. No joke.

You are probably experiencing "head hunger" right now. Excess stomach acid can also mimic the physical sensation of hunger.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sunflowergirl9
on 7/24/19 9:28 am
VSG on 07/18/19

I was perscribed an anti acid and have been taking it daliy since surgery. I am feeling better this morning and resisted eating something i should not have. Hopefully when i move on from clear liquids i will feel better. I guess i had my hopes up and really thought i would not feel hunger, and reading stories of people not being able to keep even jello down has me worried that i can with no problem. I am just so scared because i want this to be successful. I even have thoughts that my young Dr. Did not remove enough of my stomach. Please send me positive vibes!!!

Beth007
on 7/24/19 5:23 pm

Keep up the good fight! Count your wins, even the small ones. You passed up eating something you shouldn't. That's a win! I didn't expect to be hungry after surgery either. But I had major head hunger. Head hunger is no joke! But it gets better. Believe this journey will be the one to work. Don't give up or give in! Your body needs you to be strong.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/19 8:27 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

Just wondering if you take your ant acid first thing in the morning before you start your fluids? I'm not sure if that makes a difference but that's what I was told to do for the first 90 days post op. I'm four months post op now and have not felt physical hunger yet just the mental hunger.

Please don't test your sleeve as you could do serious damage to yourself. You have the rest of your life to eat whatever you want. I would advise you follow your diet instructions to the letter and allow your traumatized new stomach to heal.

Good luck! You can do this

sMa66
on 7/26/19 9:54 am
VSG on 06/25/19

I felt horrible like that the first 5-6 days until my stomach acid settled. I'm four weeks out and still get hungry from time to time. Likes others have said I take it as a sign that I haven't had anything to drink in a while and my hunger goes away after drinking. I hope you're doing better!

Most Active
Recent Topics