Not losing post-op

Oneillch
on 2/24/19 4:45 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

If you're not, start weighing, measuring & tracking what you're eating and plan for the next day as well. You should be consuming foods that are high in protein which means close to 10 grams of protein for every 100 calories and no more than 20 grams of carbs at each meal (later on when you add veggies). So, if you're eating 1,000 calories (which sounds like too much for you at this time) you would be getting close to 100 grams of protein per day.

Good luck! It is so worth the effort.

hollykim
on 2/25/19 7:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2019 at 6:04 PM Pacific Time, Jbax wrote:

VSG February 4. I have not lost a single pound since surgery. I am following the plan seriously.

Walking daily. Vitamins. Eating according to plan. 60+ grams protein daily and drinking. About 1,000 calories daily.

I am so confused and frustrated.

Anyone else with this experience? I need help please.

I will call the program tomorrow but I cant be the only one?!?!

Jennifer

most of us can't lose on 1000 cal a day. That is maintenance levels for most of us.

Mid you are eating oatmeal, cream of wheat, juices, bread or any other carbs, that will slow/stop your loss.

Hope3317
on 2/25/19 2:50 pm

Perhaps you are eating too frequently. My surgeon's nutritionists instructed me to eat a maximum of 4 times a day (but preferably just 3 times) with at least 3 to 4 hours between meals.

nevermore71
on 2/26/19 11:11 am
VSG on 01/08/18

Some people hit the 3 week stall early. My guess is you lost a good amount or had a very restrictive diet pre-op. Sometimes trauma from the surgery can cause the early stall too. Your body is just kicking up a fuss. Hang in there. Trust the process. You should start losing any day now. You're logging, exercising, and getting your protein in. Good job! The weight loss isn't linear and it isn't the same for everybody. Keep it up and it will come off.

Early on most people seem to do best at between 600 and 800 calories a day. There are plenty of people that lose at a 1000 calories too. But the lower the calories the faster the expected weight loss should be.

kairosgrammy
on 2/26/19 11:23 am
RNY on 10/17/17

1st of all, my 1st month was one of my worst months of my journey. The 1st week, when most people can lose 5 or 10 lbs, I lost 1.2 lbs. Don't compare yourself to others, someone will always be doing better. Are your clothes getting looser? Do you feel better?

All that being said, 1000 calories at 20 days out from surgery is a lot of calories. At that point, I was around 600 calories and that was a challenge. In fact, at 6 months out I was scolded for not eating enough. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, that is key. You might want to post a sample day.

pcakes
on 2/26/19 3:58 pm

I had my RNY 11/29/2019 and hit a plateau almost immediately, and sat there and sat there and sat there. Finally everything is taking off at a modest rate. Ive gone from 272 to 238 in 90 days. Ive got absolutely no complaints, the weight will come off, you are not broken! Be patient and kind to yourself, this is a journey. My nutritionist advised 800-1000 calories per day along with the recommended protein and water. You got this!

jmk187
on 2/27/19 7:52 pm, edited 2/27/19 11:53 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi jbax,

I had my vsg surgery Feb 13th and 2 weeks post op I am 15lbs down.

My program was liquids for the first week so basically 3 premier protein shakes a day. I was also allowed to have 1 item from the protein food list in between shakes with serving size of 1/4c-1/2c. I switched off from plain Greek yogurt,sugar free pudding, and fat free cream of chicken soup made with unsweetened soy milk, strained through a strainer.

Week 2 I was told to move on to the puree stage. Which for me was two 8oz protein shakes and 3 meals with a serving size of no more than 1/2c in volume. Some of the foods I tried were tuna salad, and chicken salad in pouches, canned chicken mashed up with a spoon, canned refried beans, I did experiment with cooking my own chicken breast then putting it in the food processor...but I found this to be disgusting and stopped that. For the last 3 days the refried beans have been my go-to.. half cup 3x a day. I find it the easiest to stomach and they actually taste good. I will have at least 4 more weeks of this until solids.

Most Active
Recent Topics