How to exercise?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/19 2:29 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Wait, you mean the plural of anecdote ISN'T "data?"

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/25/19 2:11 pm

Posted a pic of what I looked like as a size 12 since everybody bodies are different. I was not overweight by no mean at 190 size 12

Knitter215
on 2/22/19 10:19 am
VSG on 08/23/16
On February 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM Pacific Time, xoxsarahxo2 wrote:

Hi All! Just wondering what types of exercises worked for you during weight loss. I'm looking to lose like 15ish more lbs but I'm stuck on ideas of exercise. Should it all be cardio? Should I include weights? and for how long a day should I be exercising? Thanks!!

So - the first question is what are you doing now. If you are doing nothing, start with some cardio and some resistance training. The key is building muscle and burning fat. You will not build muscle unless you do some form of weights or resistance training. Ideally, you would do weights 2 days a week and cardio 3 days a week, if you need cardio conditioning.

Consider finding a personal trainer to help you set up a program, it would be well worth it.

I work out 1.5-2 hours daily and work out 6-7 days a week, but I compete in a sport and am in the midst of my season right now.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

nevermore71
on 2/22/19 5:40 pm
VSG on 01/08/18

Calisthenics are good. The basic exercises you did in high school gym class. These are easily done at home in your spare time.

Walking is good. Really good if you can find a friend or family member who can walk with you.

Joining a gym and using the equipment is another good option. You can get both weight training and cardio in.

I personally love swimming. Not always easy to do if your gym doesn't have a pool or in colder climates.

Turning on the tunes and dancing your heart out is a fun cardio option.

There are also classes you can join. Like yoga, Barre, Zumba, etc.

Building muscle is especially important for those of us who have lost a lot of weight because the body doesn't just consume our fat it consumes our muscle. Over time it leads to a concentration camp survivor look where our skin kind of hangs on us. Even when we still have weight to lose. This is why people start freaking out and saying you're losing to much weight. Because you can start to look unhealthy and emaciated even before you've lost all the weight.

The trick is not to kill yourself but to make it enjoyable so that you'll want to do it. It makes such a difference in how you'll feel. WLS patients should start exercising as early as possible. So you can keep ahead of the muscle attack. It gets addictive and really makes you feel happier and more energetic. Plus makes you look so much better.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/19 8:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The key to exercise is finding something you LIKE. If you hate running, you'll hate it and never do it, so don't bother!

I took up cycling after WLS because it was something I was decently good at, and I really enjoyed it. I got my quiet time in the outdoors, it didn't stress my joints, and it didn't make me wheezy like running does. I also started swimming laps at the local gym.

More recently, I've joined the roller derby. Skating is great for burning calories, and I've got some great motivation for cross-training in terms of stretching and some light strength training. I have an AMAZING group of teammates to motivate and encourage me, and it's a lot more fun than exercising alone.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/19 7:11 am
VSG on 10/24/18
On February 25, 2019 at 4:57 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag wrote:

The key to exercise is finding something you LIKE. If you hate running, you'll hate it and never do it, so don't bother!

I took up cycling after WLS because it was something I was decently good at, and I really enjoyed it. I got my quiet time in the outdoors, it didn't stress my joints, and it didn't make me wheezy like running does. I also started swimming laps at the local gym.

More recently, I've joined the roller derby. Skating is great for burning calories, and I've got some great motivation for cross-training in terms of stretching and some light strength training. I have an AMAZING group of teammates to motivate and encourage me, and it's a lot more fun than exercising alone.

Agreed.

I joined a gym to start weight-training, but I hate it. So now I just go the the gym for the classes, which I love: hot yoga, zumba, spin class.

Also convinced hubs to join salsa dance classes with me and that is pretty fun. More laugh-y than sweaty, but exercise nonetheless.

Oh, and I walk around my neighbourhood (weather permitting) at least 5km almost everyday (sometimes twice a day).

ScaleSkater
on 2/25/19 10:51 am

Agree like is the key to any activity. I never really wanted to strength train, but I'll tell you the most changes to my body happened after I started doing different low weight lifting activities. I do a couple of classes each week and the most I'm lifting is 35 pounds on the bar and 10 to 12 pounds hand-weights. I end up with 3 or 4 1 hour sessions a week. I worked with a trainer to learn form and now I have a pretty good routine and the classes mix it up nicely. So to answer your question - don't just do cardio. Mix it up. Good luck.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Most Active
Recent Topics