How to exercise?

xoxsarahxo2
on 2/21/19 1:17 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Hi All! Just wondering what types of exercises worked for you during weight loss. I'm looking to lose like 15ish more lbs but I'm stuck on ideas of exercise. Should it all be cardio? Should I include weights? and for how long a day should I be exercising? Thanks!!

Gwen M.
on 2/21/19 1:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Here are the guidelines for adults, and that's a good place to start in terms of what sort of exercise and for how long. For weight loss, diet is most of the battle, so look to your diet first. Exercise is extremely important for the best overall health outcomes, though.

Key Guidelines for Adults

• ? Adults should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity gain some health benefits.

• ? For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) to 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Preferably, aerobic activity should be spread throughout the week.

• ? Additional health benefits are gained by engaging in physical activity beyond the equivalent of 300 minutes (5 hours) of moderate-intensity physical activity a week.

• ? Adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these activities provide additional health benefits.

Source -- https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/pdf/PAG_Execu tiveSummary.pdf

Full document -- https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/pdf/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nevermore71
on 2/22/19 5:39 pm
VSG on 01/08/18
skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/22/19 7:19 am

Get on the keto craze. You can lose 20lbs on it in one month. Just exercise and buy the keto strips at your drug store. Research it.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/19 8:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 22, 2019 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, skinnytrappedinfatbody wrote:

Get on the keto craze. You can lose 20lbs on it in one month. Just exercise and buy the keto strips at your drug store. Research it.

The people who lose 20lb in one month are likely very overweight to start with. Somebody who is closer to their weight-loss goal after surgery will probably not see such drastic results.

Exercise has nothing to do with keto, and it takes much more work than just buying strips.

If you're going to recommend something, it's a good idea to do your own research first :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/25/19 1:46 pm, edited 2/25/19 5:48 am

Negative my dear I had lost 60lbs on my own when my then boyfriend who is a body builder told me to get on Keto and explained it to me. I pretty mich lived in his house and ate with him what he ate bc he was getting lean for competition. I was at 215 before keto and was able to get out of the 200?s bc of keto and exercise. I originally was a size 22 Lane Bryant clothing before I lost any weight got to a 16 forever 21 jeans and bc of keto got to a 12. So I know my facts from an ex trainer/body builder who has come in 2nd place 3 times. So know your facts first. Thank you!

oh and I have a Cuban body lots of hips and ass for days and in a good way so jeans could of been smaller but you know.

on 2/25/19 1:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 25, 2019 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, skinnytrappedinfatbody wrote:

Negative my dear I had lost 60lbs on my own when my then boyfriend who is a body builder told me to get on Keto and explained it to me. I pretty mich lived in his house and ate with him what he ate bc he was getting lean for competition. I was at 215 before keto and was able to get out of the 200's bc of keto and exercise. I originally was a size 22blane Bryant clothing before I lost any weight got to a 16 forever 21 jeans and bc of keto got to a 12. So I know my facts from an ex trainer/body builder who has come in 2nd place 3 times. So know your facts first. Thank you!

Losing 20lb in a month when you start at 215 is very different from losing weight when you (like the OP) are only 15lb from goal. :)

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/25/19 1:54 pm

You always want to contradict anything I say here. This is my opinion since this person is looking for other people's opinions and help. And this person can most definitely lose the remainder 15lbs they need on Keto. It's a very difficult diet to adhere to but being that they have a small stomach they can't eat much anyway. Do you know how keto works? Please stop telling me to do my research.

on 2/25/19 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 25, 2019 at 9:54 PM Pacific Time, skinnytrappedinfatbody wrote:

You always want to contradict anything I say here. This is my opinion since this person is looking for other people's opinions and help. And this person can most definitely lose the remainder 15lbs they need on Keto. It's a very difficult diet to adhere to but being that they have a small stomach they can't eat much anyway. Do you know how keto works? Please stop telling me to do my research.

Huh? I don't recall contradicting anything else you've said on OH.

I agree that this person can lose their 15lb by doing keto; I know there are plenty of OH folks who've done keto successfully. My main issue was your comment that this person could expect to lose that much weight in one month at their current weight, which I don't think is reasonable. :)

Gwen M.
on 2/25/19 2:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Oh my gosh. LOL FOREVER. You actually think your personal experience and that of a body builder who happens to come in 2nd place sometimes somehow trumps actual scientific research? Too funny.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics