Losing weight too slowly

Mthyui
on 2/3/19 12:23 pm
VSG on 09/04/18

Tomorrow I'll be 5 months out and I feel like I haven't lost much weight. My starting weight was 238 and now I weigh 182 lbs. In the past 2 months I lost 20 lbs which I feel is not very good. I mean if it's going this slow now, I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever reach my goal of 130 lbs. Everyone online agrees that the first 6 months are the best in terms of fast weight loss. Idk I could just be over thinking this. Do you think it's too slow? Did you have a similar experience? If so how did you deal with it?

This is my first post on here xoxo.

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/19 5:35 pm

You seem a bit discouraged, so I'll say 55lbs in 5 months is amazing progress. Have you ever lost more than 2lbs a week consistently for 5 months? I know I've never been that successful.

Also, how much of this is because some people have a lot more weight to lose when they start? I read about people with 150-250lbs to lose and they seem to lose amazing amounts? Maybe we only focus on people with incredible results like 40lbs in the first month and don't hear about the average person who is rocking it like you are.

I also feel like a slow loser. I've only lost 22lbs in 2 months. But, that's a solid 2lbs a week. If I can keep that up, I will be at goal in December. Even if I have to work hard for the last 20 or 30lbs because I've passed the magical 6 month window, I think I can make it.

Good luck to you.

Miss150
on 2/4/19 4:18 am

Like, like, like your response! "Consistently"- that is the big take away in your post to consider- so true. It is Progress Over Time that will get us to our goals- and that time is needed to practice and make habit of the behaviors necessary to stay at goal. 22#s in 2 months is excellent- well done, you. Carry on!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

mmsmom
on 2/4/19 4:57 am - Woburn, MA

If you're not happy, step it up - make sure your calories are appropriate and up your exercise.

VSG on 04/28/2014

AnnieG522
on 2/4/19 5:44 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I think you've done well with 50 lbs (that's like 200 sticks of butter!) off. I don't think there is any magic to 6 months, except our stomach doesn't hold much. And if you stay stead, keep your protein high, then healthy carbs (veggies) and water, along with walking or whatever exercise you do, you will hit goal.

Your body seeks balance - so in trying to reach equilibrium where the brain says "oh we're not having a famine", it has to have plateaus. And slow and steady weight loss truly lasts as long as you have changed your eating style.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/4/19 7:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

20lb in 2 months is fabulous! No need to get hard on yourself.

We often get "spoiled" in the first month when you can lose 20lb in a week. After the first month or so, it's a slow and steady 1 - 2lb per week all the way to the end.

On average, it takes most folks about a year to reach goal, some more, some less. Just keep up the consistent hard work and you will get there in the end!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

catwoman7
on 2/4/19 3:39 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I kept losing for 18 months. It does slow down quite a bit after the first month or two, but you'll get there if you stick to your plan. Your commitment to your program will have a much greater effect on your eventual success than your rate of weight loss will. I was a slow loser from the get-go and thought I'd never in a million years lose all my weight, but I did - over 200 lbs.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

hollykim
on 2/5/19 9:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, Mthyui wrote:

Tomorrow I'll be 5 months out and I feel like I haven't lost much weight. My starting weight was 238 and now I weigh 182 lbs. In the past 2 months I lost 20 lbs which I feel is not very good. I mean if it's going this slow now, I'm starting to doubt if I'll ever reach my goal of 130 lbs. Everyone online agrees that the first 6 months are the best in terms of fast weight loss. Idk I could just be over thinking this. Do you think it's too slow? Did you have a similar experience? If so how did you deal with it?

This is my first post on here xoxo.

what is a days menu like for you? If you are not eating mostly protein that can slow the loss down. Post a days menu and maybe we can help tweak it.

Mthyui
on 2/5/19 10:08 am
VSG on 09/04/18

I'm doing keto, so most of my calories are coming from fat and not protein. The reason I'm doing it is I've seen people lose tons of weight on it, even without WLS. Idk if it's the reason my weight loss is slowing down.

Anyway, I fast 16 hrs and eat within an 8 hour window. So my 'breakfast' is usually in the afternoon and I have scrambled eggs or boiled eggs. If scrambled I can only eat 1 and boiled I can eat 2 (that's what I ate today)

Lunch I'll have seafood (it's my favorite) or beef and veggies, like today. And dinner is usually the leftover lunch.

To be honest, I believe I don't get in enough protein ever, since my surgery. And I got protein powder around 2 months ago, but protein shakes make me so nauseous that I drank them probably twice and I have a huge tub.

PrivateCitizen
on 2/6/19 11:45 pm

"...so most of my calories are coming from fat and not protein. The reason I'm doing it is I've seen people lose tons of weight on it, even without WLS. Idk if it's the reason my weight loss is slowing down."____________________

Why on earth did you decide to match your eating post-surgery to what you see other people do, and not followed the diet given?! What if you saw 30 people raving on juice drinks, or the one who eats only bananas, or everyone you know is vegan?

You are slowed losing weight because you can't burn your body's stored fat if you are putting so much fat in daily. And Keto is MODERATE protein, not very low protein. Sounds like you barely get low protein. MINIMUM daily for women is 46 gr..-WLS recommends almost double that.

Combining Keto, and IF, immediately after WLS and not following DIRECT instruction to eat 70 -90 gr+ protein a day? You are self treating because you assume you know better.

You understand what amino acids are? You know there are 8 essential the body CAN'T make... these are called the 'building blocks of life'...you could very well be breaking down muscle and heart and other tissues to get protein. So you need all the aminos, and the only place you can get them is from Meat-eggs-whey protein, and meat is ideal for maximum impact in small volume.

Even though you have lost weight you may be mucking up really a 'great loss' in the honeymoon period by not following a plan that works.

People who have a NORMAL size stomach consume fat for satiety, and to avoid sugar crashes and renewed hunger from carbs, and WLS solves the satiety issue with the tiny stomach.

I am all for a LC or Keto diet, if followed correctly, but you are not even getting the protein minimums in it sounds like. Talk with the bariatric nutritionist, and only if THEY OK your actual eating plan-as you are doing it- would I not worry you are going to cause muscle loss and other issues from protein deprivation.

Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics