Pre-op diet- can't keep anything down

ZooCVT24
on 1/18/19 4:16 pm
VSG on 01/31/19

So I just started my pre op diet two days ago. So far I'm down 5lbs. The problem is I can't keep anything down. I try to eat the approved foods and it all comes back up. As for the shakes I struggle to drink them and honestly am not hungry at all. Has anyone had any problems like this? I don't want my surgery canceled but I don't think it's healthy how this is going.

Gwen M.
on 1/19/19 5:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should call your surgeon's office.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Boomerwayne
on 1/19/19 12:08 pm - PRATTSVILLE, NY

I am new to this forum and I'm excited about having the surgery to lose the weight. In one of my packets of material to read, it mentioned that if you have headaches or upset stomachs, etc. you should take to bullon cubes in a cup of warm water and gently drink that. It should help soothe your stomach. I haven't tried yet.

Hope this helps.

Valerie G.
on 1/19/19 2:07 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You may be having an allergic reaction to something. Call the office and ask about it. They may be fine with a super low carb diet until the final few days to switch to a liquid diet.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/21/19 5:48 am

There are often a lot of different things in ready to drink protein shakes. And some people can be allergic to some of the ingredients. A few years my WLS I discovered I was allergic to whey protein, and other types of milk proteins, and allergic to soy, plus there are other foods that can cause my gut pain, or distress when I eat them.. Thankfully that was app 3 years post op and by then I could get enough proteins without relaying on protein shakes, yogurt or cheese. Though I really liked all 3 - so givvin it up was challenging.

I know people allergic to sweeteners used in shakes, the natural like stevia, or - and the artificial. Even fructose was difficult for some to process. They had to improvise.

It is what it is. As long as it is nothing physically wrong with your insides, but you are dealing with food allergies or intolerances, you can work with it.

Find out why you can't keep the food down. Is it a taste, or texture, or intolerances /allergies. And work from there.

Getting with a good nutritionist- diatetian can help you design diet that is good for you, and would help you lose weight after surgery.

I am now more than 10 years after WLS surgery. Because the way my body and gut was before, and it is now, I found out that my childhood allergies are back. Plus I developed some new intolerances to foods or additives.

After eliminating items that I shouldn't eat, my first glimpse was dispair, and sadness. And anger at life and unfairness of the world. (I can be dramatic)

Then I put my "big girl panties on", wiped my tears, dealt with anger, and started making a list of foods that I can have, and got proactive in finding good or great recipes for my meals. And there is plenty. And I probably eat more diverse items than an average person who doesn't have allergies or intolerances. I often have to make more because my new recipes are liked and tolerated by my family and friends.

Find out what is going on, then deal with it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics