Not so sure if I should go through with it...

OnlineAnnie
on 11/22/18 11:16 am

I have a BMI of 41. I researched WLS for about 7 years before I took the leap towards doing anything about it. I read everything there was to read about the surgery and outcomes. Now that it is looking like it will be a reality I am starting to freak out. I am interested in the VSG but I am worried about:

GERD

Maybe I could have done it myself without surgery

Sagging skin

Wrinkles on my face from losing weight and looking old from that

I guess that GERD is really the thing that scares me the most because I don't want to feel crappy all the time and I don't want to have to live with taking medications for GERD for the rest of my life. And my second biggest worry being I should have just tried harder to do it myself. It sure feels lonely making such big decisions alone, when those I love don't really understand the options. My husband thinks I would look better to lose the pounds, which is true, but my son says I look beautiful just the way I am and not to go monkeying around with cutting out a bunch of my stomach. Thanks for reading, and I sure would appreciate some advice.

Julia S.
on 11/22/18 12:10 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

With VSG one of the common side effects is GERD, if you already have it I believe your surgeon would not recommend the sleeve.

It is perfectly normal to be concerned about surgery. Most of us that are on here have lost significant amounts of weight and maintained it for a period of time. But that being said most of us regained as well. I lost 90lbs and maintained it for 5 years, but managed to gain it all back plus 50lbs. So two weeks before surgery I was at 291 at 5'5" that is super morbidly obese.

Over the years I have lost and gained probably more than two times my body weight. But none of it for more than 5 years at a time. When I was at my lowest I was working out 6 days a week and OCD about it all. After surgery I still have to be concerned with everything I put in my mouth, but at this time a little over 9 months out I have no hunger. I eat 800-1000 calories a day with a minimum of 75g of protein. If I had not had surgery I would not be able to exist on such low calorie intake without being hungry all of the time.

There is much great advice and wonderful people on this forum. If there is a support group in your area I would recommend attending, you don't have to have had surgery to participate and you can talk to people who have been where you are.

I wish you well, and hope your journey is successful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or search this site. It contains a wealth of information.

Be kind to yourself!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

TheWombat
on 11/22/18 12:25 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

+1 Having had the surgery, I now know that I have to stay under 800 calories to lose weight. No wonder dieting didn't work for me; no one can stay on such a restrictive diet for long without some sort of help.

catwoman7
on 11/22/18 6:08 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

less than 5% of people who lose weight are able to permanently maintain it, so the odds are against you. I can't even tell you how many times I've lost 50 lbs only to gain it back. I never would have been able to lose all this weight without surgery.

re: saggy skin - I had plastic surgery (phase 1 anyway - phase 2 is in three more weeks!), but no one could see the saggy skin when I had my clothes on. For many of us, it's easy to hide. I just tucked my stomach skin into my pants, rolled up my boobs into a good bra, and never wore sleeves shorter than elbow-length. No one would have ever known it was there but me (well, and my doctor - and my husband). I had it removed because I had to look at it in the shower and right after, and it started driving me nuts. But I highly doubt anyone else has noticed a difference. And to be perfectly frank, I would have taken my saggy skin any day over weighing 372 lbs. ANY DAY!!!!!

GERD is really the only legitimate thing that might be a concern. MIGHT. It's not uncommon with the sleeve - although on the other hand, lots of sleevers *don't* have issues with it. If you already have it pre-op, then I would go with RNY. But if you don't have GERD now, you may never get it. It's a risk, though - even though it might not be a huge one. I had it pre-op, so I wasn't willing to chance the sleeve. I went with RNY. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have GERD as a pre-op. They're both good surgeries, though.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Ready2goNOW
on 11/23/18 6:48 pm

Hi!

I am not sure how old you are, but I had my sleeve done at 57 years old. I had begun researching WLS in my late 40s when I developed high blood pressure & heavy peri-menopausal bleeding my gyno warned me could lead to female cancers. Not all heavy bleeding puts you at risk for this, but combined with obesity and high blood pressure along with an enlarged uterus I met the criteria for being at risk.

I decided back then I could get my weight down myself even though I was bordering on 300 lbs. and had never stuck to a meal plan for longer than a week!

Over the next several years I continued to gain and by age 55 was diagnosed with all the medical problems I had been warned about. I already had HBP, and it was getting worse. I got diagnosed with uterine cancer that was estrogen fed...usually tied to obesity. Prior to my cancer surgery my pre-op testing picked up afib on my ekg which was probably a result of sleep apnea I didn't know I had!

I had a wake up call, took care of my cancer, heart condition and went on cpap treatment for my sleep apnea. Still, I continued to gain weight and due to this became pre-diabetic. I was tired all the time & felt like crap.

I got back on these boards & decided to have the surgery. I could have cared less about wrinkles or sagging skin...which I have plenty of! My thighs FLAP from loose skin! Do I care? Hell NO.

I feel better than I have felt in years. I LOOK better than I have in years. I have my life & health back which is far more important...to me...than long term health problems.

I'd encourage you to consider where you are headed healthwise in regards to your weight. My heart condition is permanent and cannot be reversed. I am lucky everything else turned out okay.

Best of luck in deciding which way to go!

Kathy

Kathy

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/24/18 10:38 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Similar story here. My BMI was about 39 when I had a VSG at age 61. I had gained and lost weight at least 12-14 times over my life often getting to goal, staying there for a day, then regaining more than I had lost. Ultimately I had high blood pressure which couldn't be brought down to normal levels, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, was pre-diabetic and I had all the aches and pains which go with being 100 pounds overweight.

I did get heartburn occasionally prior to surgery, but I also had a hiatel hernia which was repaired at the time of surgery. I haven't had any heartburn since surgery (2 years, 8 months ago), knock on wood.

It was the best thing I ever did for my health! Yes I had saggy skin, but it mostly wasn't apparent to others, though I did have a tummy tuck and facelift for myself really.

Good luck in your decision making! OH is a great place to do research and I wouldn't have been as successful after WLS without the support here.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Gwen M.
on 11/25/18 3:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Do you have issues with reflux now? If so, you should consider RNY instead.

Do you want to lose weight for yourself? Or for your husband?

I definitely wonder if I could have lost weight without surgery but, the truth is, I didn't. The other truth is that I did lose it with surgery and I've been really successful with keeping it off, still slowly losing when I put my mind to it, and life is ever so much better at almost 5 years post-op.

Sagging skin is going to happen no matter how you lose the weight and is healthier than obesity.

That all said, it definitely IS a big decision. Can you go to a support group for your surgeon and talk with people who have has WLS? That might be beneficial to help in your decision.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

OnlineAnnie
on 11/30/18 11:11 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. They were all very helpful. You were helpful in so many ways. Yes, I too should have/could have lost weight on my own, but the truth is is that I didn't. I too have high blood pressure, and would also face a possible future risk of cancer due to a family history of being at high risk. No, I don't have GERD now, I'm just worried! Hmm, also a good question about whether I am doing it for me or for my husband. Truthfully I'm pretty happy as I am, so maybe it is more for him. Anyways, you all gave me lots to think about and I appreciate your help.

Most Active
Recent Topics