Considering VSG

sylknow
on 11/22/18 2:23 am

Hi,

I would like to ask questions to people who had SVG or to surgeons in this forum.

If people can gain weight after SVG, and the stomach could stretch after a while, is the Hunger Producing Hormone, Ghrelin, still Reduced after a while, if the person has these changes?

I heard some SVG patients complaining of fatigue after surgery. I do have fatigue normally. I am considering to have SVG, but I am concerned how my ability to have a normal life will be affected if the fatigue is severe after the procedure. I would like to hear your experiences, especially if you are a middle age person who suffered fatigue before the surgery.

I read, in different sites, that the size of the stomach is reduced from a 60 to an 80%, I would like to ask surgeons in this forum what is your opinion on the size that should be reduced, since there is a big difference in the numbers, 80% sounds extreme to me. Can a patient request that the reduction would be closer to 60% than to 80%?

I would like to hear what percentage of people had complications from this surgery, especially blood cots and leakage. Thank you so much in advance. This forum is so informative!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/22/18 6:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I found this and it is a pretty good reference: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-sleeve-reference-man ual/. The book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies is quite good for the basics as well.

As to my personal experience on your question (if differs for people):

1. My hunger is less but still there. But head hunger is hard for me to distinguish sometimes (feeling hungry because I want to eat a specific thing, not because I really need to eat).
  2. As far as I have read, stomachs don't stretch. BUT "slider" foods like crackers, cookies, chips, cakes, etc. can be eaten in huge quantities because they break down in the mouth and stomach right away and basically slide through into the intestine. Dense protein (meat, fish, some dairy) fills me up always in a fairly small quantity (3-4 ounces) because it stays in the stomach longer.
  3. I was fatigued for few weeks following surgery, but in the same way I would have been following any major surgery. I am probably less fatigued in general now because things are so much easier to do. Taking a walk or housecleaning used to exhaust me but are no big deal now.
  4. I don't know why you would want less reduction in stomach size? I trusted my surgeon to do what was right.
  5. I had no complications (I was 61 at the time of surgery). I wasn't even nauseous at all (some people are on the beginning), and I didn't have much pain maybe because I expected more (that also differs from one person to another).

Bottom-line is that it was the best thing I've ever done for myself and was truly a life-saver.

Best of luck in making your decision!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

sylknow
on 11/22/18 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! It is very helpful and encouraging to read success stories like yours! Take care XX

Kristi T.
on 11/22/18 8:41 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome! Keep coming back if you decide the VSG is right for you. OH is a great place for information and most important, support.

1. From what I understand the stomach does not stretch, it may relax over time. Ghrelin production comes from different areas of the body, it is still reduced, production differs from person to person. I rarely have actual hunger, but like Liz, I do have head hunger that I tackle everyday.

2. I suffered from fatigue daily before surgery. After surgery it was worse, but for only a couple of weeks. My energy came back in a big way for the first time in over 20 years. I suffer from fatigue if I don't take care of myself. If I have fatigue it usually means I am not drinking or eating enough. I love the energy I have now.

3. My surgeon told me 80% reduction, but I never asked him afterwards if that is what he actually did. Believe me, I would have taken more if he wanted to!:-) Take advantage of it, I would have not asked for less.

4. I had zero complications, a little nausea the first 3 days. For me the pain was significant, but was managed by the medication.

I wish you the best in your decision. I was 49 when I had my surgery and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

sylknow
on 11/22/18 11:55 pm, edited 11/22/18 3:55 pm

Thanks a lot, Kristi! I am so happy to read your story! It gives me hope and encouragement. The reason why I am a bit scared of a reduction of an 80% is, I do not eat meat, I try to eat many veggies. I thought such little stomach might not be enough to contain the necessary nutrients or minimum veggie daily intake. I guess, I have to trust the science behind the doctor's decision and success stories like yours

Take care XX

catwoman7
on 11/23/18 11:14 am
RNY on 06/03/15

most veggies are mostly water and crush down to pretty much nothing in your stomach. I can eat a lot of salad but only about 3 oz of meat (I'm 3.5 years out - RNY, but we have small stomachs, too). Still, I don't eat as much produce as I did pre-surgery....

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

sylknow
on 11/23/18 12:06 pm

Thank you so much for this info. This is very helpful to know. I thought the portion had to be only 4 ounces regardless. Take care XX

vacationlover
on 11/29/18 12:41 pm

I am almost 8 years out (OMG 8 years!!!!!!), and I love where I am. I strictly followed the rules until I was under my own personal goal (20 lbs under surgeons goal). When I eat per plan (lots of protein, little crappy carbs like Cheetos) I stay there. When I eat whatever I want, I gain some. Overall, I am SO happy! I've had a few complications (dumping, new food sensitivities), but way worth it! Last year I did platics to remove extra skln and lift the girls, and so worth it!

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics