Can we talk pancreatitis?

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/14/18 6:03 pm

You know your body well. With anything like that =- alcohol needs to be avoided. Best - most likely for ever.

Another things that clogs liver is triglycerides. They are made by our body in response to a high fructose - simple carbs diet. Diabetics who craves sugars and sweets - MO people often have fatty-non alcoholic liver disease. That may also affect pancreas. Staying away from fruits and simple carbs helps liver and pancreas as much as staying away from alcohol.

I am glad you are getting tested.
But as healthy fats - I have no problem what so ever with avocado. Or some nuts. Not all nuts. Some nuts I can have a few and i get nausea. Nausea is my liver signal when it does not like something. I can handle 2-3 crisp bacon slices, and sometimes even that is too much. But scrambled eggs in butter, no problem.

It is the type of fat my body has an easy way to deal with.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 11/15/18 6:18 pm

Didn't realize the liver throwing a hissy fit resulted in nausea, will have to pay closer attention to symptoms and triggers for sure. I was eating sugar and some simple carb, but dropped it this week after the appointment Monday. Strange how it hasn't bothered me to drop it- normally I have to ease into the reduction, but the idea of avoiding whatever the hell it was from either happening again to that extent or not making just general digestive issues worth is pretty motivating at the moment.

I did liquids only Monday afternoon through Wednesday night. Had a small portion of chili (turkey, beans) and woke up with a stomach ache this morning. Not the same kind, but my system is just not enjoying solid food at the moment.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/16/18 6:51 am

When my system gets into a hissy-fit, I try to avoid anything that is too dense, or things that can cause gas - i.e beans, raw veggies, etc. I would make stew like soups: meat + easy to digest veggies, add salt and pepper, some fat if the meat is lean, and cook that in a pressure cooker. Portion and freeze for days like that. I avid spicy food, anything with tomato, or onion.

My to go foods: chicken (or beef, or pork), carrots, cellery, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash; spices: salt, pepper, turmeric, and caraway seeds. I often add fresh dill or lemon juice to the bowl I eat. I know that coconut oil, or butter are good fats for me, plus avocado. I can eat smaller servings of that during the days after my guts were sensitive. Tomato does not bother me normally, but not after I had a very painful episode. It feels like my insides are irritated, and any acids beside just fresh squeezed lemon juice are no go.

I hope they find what is going on with you. Good luck.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sweetpotato1959
on 11/19/18 8:19 pm
On November 14, 2018 at 10:08 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

IMO - but what you had to me looks like food intolerance or even bad case of food poisoning. I had very painful episode yesterday. The pain was so bad, that I had problem walking, breathing and talking. I had severe cramps, runs, and I was nauseated. But my pouch was empty so there was nothing to throw up with. My episode lasted more than 2 hours. But after to drank lots of warm water and took some meds for the intestine, and muscle relaxers and some pain pills, I just passed out, wrapped in a blanket as I was having a cold sweats that left me freezing. I woke up at midnight, still in moderate pain, but drank more minerals in a rather warm water, took my meds, got a hot shower and wen back to bed. Today my abdominal area is tender, but not really hurt.

As far as I know acute pancreatitis would last longer, not just 2 hours. It may be a stone trapped in a canal. We still can get stones from a liver, even with GB removed. After I had my GB removed, I slowly introduced fat into my diet. I can eat relatively a lot of fat in one sitting. i.e a whole avocado. Or a nice handful of olives, or butter, etc. Not getting enough fat can cause bile stagnation in the liver and stone formation. I believe that a healthy dose of fat helps our liver to flash the bile and keep it going.

As for belching and GERD - if I had a food poisoning, my body often tried to release more acid to make sure bacteria got killed. It was as the system got really irritated and it took a while for things to calm down.

H.A.L.A.B., sorry you were so sick glad you have gotten thru the worst of it...charcoal caps absorb bad stuff if you have another episode...

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/18 10:57 am

Good point. I have and use charcoal capsules all the time if needed. My first aid kit when I travel has them.

But - if I suspect that my pain may be due to narrowing or twisting of the intestines, charcoal is a last thing I would use. Charcoal can make a blockage much worse. If I am throwing up or have runs, I use as little charcoal as I need to. Beside toxins and bacteria- viruses, charcoal binds wit any vitamins- minerals preventing them from absorption.

But for any food poisoning - it is must.

ljbarbara
on 11/14/18 3:15 pm

I do not drink alcohol at all, and I keep to a low fat diet yet I've had pancreatitis twice. Both times I was flat on my back in the hospital for over a week, zonked out on pain medication and being flooded with IV fluids.

As HALA correctly said, the bile duct can be blocked by a stone or with what is referred to as "sludge", sort of a sandy mixture of stuff which can back things up.

Both of my bouts of pancreatitis were caused by a drug allergy. The first time I took this drug was for pain after having my spinal cord nicked during a procedure. Within 15 minutes I was in the worst pain I'd ever been in. They could not find the definite cause of the pancreatitis, but "roto-rootered" my bile duct just in case. The second and last time I ever took that drug, within a matter of minutes I was sick with pancreatitis again.

They finally put two and two together and realized I had an allergy to that drug. Apparently it caused my bile duct to clamp down, back everything up and cause the inflammation in my pancreas.

So I guess I'm a bit touchy with people lumping all pancreatitis issues with alcohol addiction.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

happyteacher
on 11/14/18 5:45 pm

Didn't realize a drug allergy could cause it- I have a slew of allergies. Hmmm. I wish I could remember what I ate that night and any medicine I may have taken now. I only know that whatever I ate was not anything that might get "stuck" like tough meat or something. (Had that happen a few times and ugh.)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NYMom222
on 11/14/18 7:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I also have never heard of a short bout of pancreatitis...although I am having my own bile issues and realizing maybe what I thought was acid reflux is maybe bile reflux. I didn't know there was such a thing but there is.

The only time I had acute pancreatitis it coincided with my gall bladder removal. I couldn't get my gall bladder removed until the pancreas calmed down. I was in the hospital on straight IV no food for 14 days before they took my gall bladder out. At the time I drank no alcohol.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

happyteacher
on 11/30/18 9:01 pm

I will bring that up- what I associate with acid reflux frequently is in conjunction with the stomach issues that go with no longer having a gallbladder. When I take the medication to deal with that, the acid reflux part also resolves. Hmmm.

Kathy S.
on 11/15/18 12:18 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I had this happen to me a few times and because the way we are put together some foods have a huge impact on our pancreas. Make note of what you ate or drank before an attack and steer clear of them. I did clear liquids after an attack and then tracked very closely what I ate and sure enough there were 2 items that did me in.

Good luck to you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics