I'm a newbie

Jinxy6
on 10/30/18 10:01 am - SC

Hello! This is my intro to the community. So I am 62 years old and have always thought I was too fat. What I know now is that I did not have a realistic self image all those years ago and what I feared had come true. I can't ever remember not worrying about my weight. I have a host of health issues, most weight related and feel exhausted most days.

I have been married to a wonderful guy for 38 years. He has always told me how beautiful he thinks I am and I'm starting to believe him, lol. I have four awesome kids and eight amazing grandkids. (We're we ever that smart?)

About a year and a half ago, my niece had the Verticle sleeve and one year ago this month, my incredibly beautiful daughter had it as well. Now I see these amazing women slimmed way down and getting truly healthy. They feel good and look great so a few months ago I decided that I would do this surgery. It's hard to watch my daughter riding bikes, going to the gym and feeling so, so happy and not feel inspired. I have completed all the classes/requirements and am waiting for final authorization from the insurance company so I can schedule the surgery.

I am not worried about the surgery itself or healing from it. I am worried about a few things tho and would love to hear from those of you with experience.

1) I am concerned about not being able to drink with my meals. That may seem silly but I usually drink at least one if not more glasses of something when I eat. I understand why we can't, it just seems it will be very difficult for me.

2) I am worried about the excess skin and probability of more surgeries down the road. I know I will need breast work at the very least. Two of my sisters had reductions (years ago) and I remember being pretty freaked.

3) I am a somewhat picky eater. I'm a little worried about what I will eat. It seems like it will be just meat and salad for me. I know that it will be awhile after surgery before I have to figure this all out but as they say, forewarned is forearmed.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I guess as the time gets closer, I'm just looking for reassurance from those of you nearer my age who have been thru all of this. Thanks for listening!

Jinxy6

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/18 10:30 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Welcome and congratulations on making this journey! Your worries are 100% normal. I thought I wouldn't be able to adjust to not eating and drinking at the same time, but it's not as hard of a habit to break that you might think. When you try and feel how full and uncomfortable it can be, you won't want to try again!

How much excess skin you have is a very personal journey. I have lost a ton of weight and have been fortunate enough that skin is the least of my worries. What is important is how you feel. Losing the weight and getting your life back is worth extra skin, at least in my opinion. There are plenty of people here who have gone through the whole gambit with plastics and can help you get an idea of what to expect!

Unsure of how picky you are, but at first meat will be your best friend. I eat tons of dairy as well, yogurt, cheese and more. Check out our meta threads and see how we eat!

Jinxy6
on 10/31/18 5:41 am - SC

Thanks Mershmellow, for the encouragement!

Jinxy6
on 10/31/18 5:44 am - SC

Thanks Mershmellow, for the encouragement! Oh, and what is a meta thread?

Kristi T.
on 10/31/18 10:23 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Mersh meant meal thread, it's under "Whatcha Eating VSGer's?" It's a great place to see what others are eating at different phases of recovery, some even pre op. There is usually a question of the day and lots of support. Welcome, best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics