Advancing to next diet + emotions

shanreneex
on 10/27/18 7:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if when following up with your surgeon and dietitian is it likely to not be advanced to the next stage in diets? I've previously mentioned on here before that I'm having a hard time staying hydrated due to nausea. Still having that issue but it's worse now because I have a bad cold. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow because I'm sure I need IV fluids. I'm concerned that when I follow up with my surgeon/dietitian on Tuesday that they won't advance me to the purée/soft stage. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is this likely? Also my emotions have been all over the place lately. I've been crying over the smallest things, I know this is common but what have you guys tried to help this? Thanks in advance.

NYMom222
on 10/28/18 4:00 am
RNY on 07/23/14

First, take a deep breath. Emotions all over the place are normal at this stage. Difficulty drinking is normal at this stage. And while not necessarily the norm- certainly not unheard of- is the need for IV fluids.

No one can say for sure what your Doctor will do. Fluids are the most important thing at this stage. Whatever it takes to get it down. I know some docs are anti-straws, but there really is no reason for that except for the possibility of taking in too much air and creating gas...which won't necessarily happen...but if a straw makes it easier- use it. I did find carrying one of those cups with a straw helpful in the beginning.

Keep water at your bedside and start sipping as soon as you open your eyes.

If you are just advancing to soft or puree you most likely will be moved forward. It is when you advance to solids that it gets trickier and people sometimes have to step back a stage because they aren't ready. Usually because of the food itself, not the ability to drink liquids.

I think the premier protein is a really good choice to drink at this stage because it is so thin, it is easy to get down and almost like drinking water.All fluids count- so whatever is easiest to get down. Don't feel like it has to be plain water. hot/iced tea, hot/iced coffee, crystal light, mio drops in water... for me room temp fluids were easier than cold...

Just keep swimming.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ElaP
on 10/28/18 7:19 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Prayers of hope and healing to you!!! I was down in the dumps for the last few days, because I didn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I was nauseous, in pain, and exhausted from lack of sleep. Today is a new day, and while I'm in pain, it is FINALLY manageable!!! Hang in there... lean on us for support! I have found this group to be so helpful!

Do you have a script for Zofran? That has helped... also, I've been using essential oils, but that's just me! I find the diffuser is my friend. I am not ready to injest them yet.

As for liquids, I'm finding that protein shakes are about all I can handle! I loved broth before VSG, now it tastes awful to me. I did put protein powder in yogurt, and that was a good meal. My other go to, is a tablespoon of olive oil. Hoping tomorrow is a better day for you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/29/18 11:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Generally, you'll be moved to the next stage of your diet if your stomach has healed enough to tolerate new foods. You may be advised to go more slowly if you try something and it doesn't agree with you, but I've not heard of a doctor keeping someone on liquids only because of dehydration.

Big feelings are TOTALLY normal right now. You've made a life-changing decision, you're getting used to your new reality, and it's a lot to take in. Additionally, many/most folks experience a "hormone dump" early on; estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when you lose a lot of weight very quickly (as in the first weeks after WLS), it all goes flooding into your system and your moods get totally out of whack.

I would suggest asking the surgeon and/or the hospital about medication to help with the nausea. Dehydration is very dangerous! I would also suggest trying different types of fluids and at different temperatures; ice-cold water made me really queasy, but I had much better luck with warm tea and broth.

Good luck!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics