STARVING AFTER GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY!

Italiangal
on 10/29/18 9:00 am
Revision on 10/08/18

Yep, that's what I said!

Ms Shell
on 10/26/18 9:10 am - Hawthorne, CA

Unfortunately there are NO guarantees and being that you are a revision the guarantees are even more sporadic. I agree that it could be acid. I know that about the 5 year mark I was having acid attacks that FELT like hunger and even know when I feel "hungry" it's actually acid.

I wish I could sooth your anxiety but it might be something you have to learn to manage with time and the ability to eat.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

VSGmimi2018
on 10/26/18 7:21 pm
VSG on 10/22/18

I had my vsg surgery on Monday as well, and I experienced the same gurgling feeling after about 4 hours of not having something on my stomach. I feel my stomach and it basically spasms and gurgles like it did before the surgery when I was hungry and hadn't eaten in a long time. Luckily for me my doctor and my team they prescribe something called Levsin it is an anti spastic medication and that has really helped me. I also went and got the gas drops that you give babies and I have been using those along with the Levsin and it quiets down the feeling in my stomach that you would normally feel like if you are hungry before you had the surgery. I know exactly what you're feeling I feel the same way I'm sure that the spasms should stop I'm hopeful that they will. But in the meantime I just use the gas drops they're called little remedies simethicone anti gas. Also another thing to remember while you're on the liquid portion of the diet that everything you're taking in is going straight through there is no necessary churning for your stomach to do so there's no stopping point for your intake to cause a feeling of fullness. Don't give up on yourself guys. I'm assuming that all of us did this surgery not just because we were feeling hungry all the time we just had a major surgery so give yourself a minute healing will come. And if your doctors did not prescribe you Levsin maybe you could call them and ask them about your stomachs feeling the way they are and if that would possibly help and if they prescribe that.Levsin is sublingual and works within minutes. I hope that helps.

Italiangal
on 10/26/18 8:17 pm
Revision on 10/08/18

Glad Levsin worked for you. I am taking GasX as needed and Omeprazole prescribed by my doctor which I think is helping. Good luck with your WL journey!

VSGmimi2018
on 10/27/18 2:48 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Thanks! I thought it was a weird prescribed medicine the Levsin and out of all of my readings and research which I'm sure you did too like research overload before the surgery LOL, I had never heard of anybody taking that medication after the surgery. The doctor told me it works on the smooth muscles of the stomach so it calms the smooth muscles down I'm not sure how it works or why it even works.

I hope you find some relief. This is definitely a mental game, because none of us are really ready for how we're going to feel after the surgery I don't think expectations could ever meet up to what you face after a major surgery like we just had. Good luck to you as well! I do hope you find some relief and if you do please update because my stomach is still gurgling as we speak LOL.

Italiangal
on 10/27/18 10:21 am
Revision on 10/08/18

I don't have gurgling so much as discomfort. We are all a little different and I expect that no two outcomes are exactly the same. What one patient may experience might not be the same as another. Even people who had their surgeries years ago may not know what you are going through. In my case, I know that a lot of it is head hunger. Let's face it, that is the route of most weight issues. If we only ate when we were hungry, chances are we wouldn't need this surgery in the first place. I keep hoping that one day someone will discovers something beyond bariatric surgery which helps the brain get to the bottom of the issue.

itsjustmisty
on 10/29/18 6:42 am
VSG on 10/10/18

This is not fully true with liquids (about it going straight through you) this is why so many patients still cannot drink a ton right after surgery (like me). I just had an upper GI done because I was feeling very full with liquids. He said he could see the restriction and said it's very common for people to feel it with liquids especially thicker ones (like protein drinks). Protein drinks def cause churning in my stomach as well unless I thin them out more.

PalmettoIGY6
on 10/28/18 4:59 pm
Revision on 10/23/18

Same here. Revision the day after yours. I've been disappointed about how hungry I've been. My stomach is growling and I'm actually hungry.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/29/18 10:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

VSG does not eliminate hunger completely-- that's a total myth. There is "head hunger" (emotional and separate from physical hunger), dehydration, acid, and some remaining ghrelin that will cause you to be hungry.

The actual "whole point of surgery" is that you are physically unable to eat as much as you could before. Eating a small portion of lean, dense protein will keep you full longer, which helps you address the feelings of head hunger.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jrbushey1234
on 10/30/18 10:02 am
VSG on 09/18/18

Hello,

I had this issue my first week, it then went away..

Comes back now but not nearly as bad.

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics