STARVING AFTER GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY!

Cathy H.
on 10/25/18 8:29 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I also took Prilosec daily for the first 6 months, and my stomach gurgled and rumbled something awful in the beginning. But, because I had read the info here in OH, I knew it was acid and not hunger pangs, because I had no feeling in my stomach because all the nerves were cut. It will take a couple of months for those to heal. In the meantime, don't be surprised if you hear the gurgling. Also, I discovered that whey protein gave me gas and gurgling as well. You may need to try different proteins if it bothers you that much. Personally, I dealt with the gurgling and forged ahead with the whey protein shakes.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

MarinaGirl
on 10/26/18 8:19 am
On October 26, 2018 at 2:35 AM Pacific Time, ElaP wrote:

I feel the same way! I've called the office twice now about it. It's really quite annoying. My brain isn't saying I'm hungry, but my stomach is quenching and gurgling like it's hungry... all-the-time. I added protein shakes and yogurt, and that helped. But, I expressed this while still in the hospital! I too, was under the impression that hunger pangs would be no longer I am taking Prilosec as prescribed, along with bentyl for spasms, and Zolfram for nausea

Your impression that hunger pangs would be no longer is false. I recommend you work on your mindset regarding hunger so it doesn't derail your weight loss and maintenance short term and long term.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/26/18 5:56 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I have always had a fair level of "head hunger". Even at this point I struggle with determining when I am truly hungry or I just want to eat. The latter is "head hunger" which may be what you are feeling (I did right from the beginning).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

itsjustmisty
on 10/26/18 9:10 am
VSG on 10/10/18

I thought I felt hunger a few times and then took my nausea meds and reflux with in 15 mins the feeling went a way. Reflux feels much like hunger sometimes.

Italiangal
on 10/26/18 9:20 am
Revision on 10/08/18

I have not had nausea or reflux.

itsjustmisty
on 10/26/18 9:37 am
VSG on 10/10/18

You haven't felt what you believe is nausea or reflux but it doesn't mean what you're experiencing isn't either one of those things. For instance silent reflux feels nothing like traditional reflux (as in you feel what's known as heartburn). I would talk to your doctor personally. It sounds like possibly your reflux meds are not strong enough. I can't say your not feeling hunger, but I think what we are saying is it's not as likely. As many have said now, reflux mimics the feeling of hunger. I know this can be hard to accept. We want to believe what we feel but it's not always accurate. The brain is amazing sometimes it gets it's signals crossed. It's why babies who have reflux sometimes gain a lot of weight? Why? because when it hits they will think they are hungry, they will eat and feel a little better short term until it hits again and the cycle continues. IF it IS hunger pains then just make sure you're getting in plenty of protein and water!

Italiangal
on 10/26/18 10:21 am
Revision on 10/08/18

I know what you are talking about and this is not reflux or acid. I believe that it is head hunger, which I will just have to deal with and discuss with my doctor.

itsjustmisty
on 10/26/18 10:39 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Defiantly talk with your doctor for sure. However, head hunger is when you want food, it's the little voice that wants something even when you're not hungry. It's not a physical symptom though (as you described). So if you think you are actually feeling hunger pains. That would not be head hunger.

Italiangal
on 10/26/18 3:31 pm
Revision on 10/08/18

As you said, our brains are amazing and can be a bit tricky. There is no telling if the brain cannot create feelings of physical hunger. I will check with my doctor.

itsjustmisty
on 10/29/18 6:39 am
VSG on 10/10/18

LOL we already established that the brain can create feelings of hunger LOL. It does so for many reasons just none of those are "head hunger" by definition head hunger is in your head... Scientifically, we know that when a patient feels hunger there is a reason, that reason just isn't always hunger itself. (that was my point in the whole the brain is amazing part but sometimes tells us something that isn't true). Like I really need that donut but you DON'T actually *need* the donut. But what it doesn't do. Is tell you that your hungry and give you hunger pains without cause. There is always a cause. (which we have established many of those causes). Which is why it's best to follow up to find out what the cause is which I am glad you will be doing.

Most Active
Recent Topics