Getting my "groove" back! And what are YOUR rules or WLS rules you follow?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/26/18 5:36 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My rules (this is a good time for me to refresh myself, so thanks for asking!):

• Weigh daily prior to eating and drinking
  • Plan my meals as much as possible.
  • weigh and measure foods
  • track everything I eat, even if I eat unplanned
  • don't drink during meals and for at least 30 minutes afterwards
  • eat protein first
  • avoid simple carbs
  • don't drink my calories (I only used protein shakes for the first few weeks after surgery)
  • eat a small meal every 3-4 hours. I eat 5 small meals a day. I know when my danger times are so plan a "snack" for those times, typically mid-afternoon and around 8 at night
  • drink at least 64 ounces of liquid a day, usually substantially more
  • I often eat the same things as long as I enjoy them, especially for breakfast and lunch. I have a little more variety at dinner.
  • Take all my vitamin supplements religiously

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Ms Shell
on 10/26/18 9:01 am - Hawthorne, CA

Thank you!!

NYMom222
on 10/28/18 4:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

While I rarely have a carbonated beverage- it is really not considered a 'have to avoid' anymore. There is no science to avoiding it, more a discomfort thing for a lot of people and also an open door to overdoing and not drinking healthier fluids. Only you can decide if that is you.

Yes always prioritize and count protein. Eat higher protein than they say. 80-100g. As I Am not in weight loss mode particularly (the proverbial 5lbs - ha)- I do have more carbs in my diet than in weight loss mode. During weight loss i agree- ditch the rice. The carbs you should be getting mostly should be from vegetables and some dairy products.

My surgeon's mantra always was: Protein first, then veggies and then IF you have any room fruits then carbs (starchy ones). He never says no carbs, just put them at the end of the list. I do eat limited fruit now, but again I am not trying to lose.

I try to eat ever 3 hours, that works for me. Some will say intermittent fasting, some will say 3 meals no snacks... again you have to decide what works for you. It is what you take in during the whole day. 3 meals, 1-3 snacks depending on the day.

Public foods - I don't keep foods in the house I might have a hard time eating one portion of. I consider them public foods. I might choose to eat them when out, or at a restaurant- but there are built in controls. Not free access.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Ms Shell
on 10/29/18 9:08 am - Hawthorne, CA

Thank you for chiming in!!

jacreasy
on 12/7/18 9:17 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Ms.Shell

How are you!? I haven't been on here for years. Nice to see you still post. Ill be 7 years post-op in April 2019.

How are things going with you?

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics