Sleeve vs, RYN for "Prominent Acid Reflux"

Teacherofmuggles
on 10/23/18 9:45 pm
Hi friends, So I'm in the process of gong through all the test to get qualified for WLS. Today my Dr. sent me a message and said my upper GI test showed "prominent reflux but no hiatal hernia". I don't take nothing and don't feel like I have acid reflux. I know I can't be active right after a meal and sometimes my chest hurts but I've never been treated for it. My question is, I had my heart set on the sleeve because I am very worried about the malabsorption factory with RYN. I haven't talked to my Dr. yet but wanted to get some feedback from you all and any experience you have had. I hate to go through a surgery and then find out I have even worse reflux. TIA!
Teacherofmuggles
on 10/23/18 9:48 pm
And sorry, stupid auto correct! Should have said I don't take anything for acid reflux not nothing.
Grim_Traveller
on 10/24/18 2:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I couldn't begin to guess at how many people I have seen suffer from reflux after having a sleeve. And most of those had no reflux at all before surgery. I've seen a great many who ended up having to convert to RNY, just to get rid of the acid.

I think you would be absolutely crazy to try for a VSG after this diagnosis. Go for the RNY. You'll be much better off, and much happier.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 10/24/18 10:57 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Amen to this.

gh438
on 10/24/18 3:47 am
VSG on 10/18/18

I had never had any issue with acid reflux either and yet my preop egd scope results were the same as yours. Doctor put me on Protonix and I still havent had any issues, even post op.

Not everybody is the same. Each surgery comes with its own set of challenges. Talk to your doctor and if your heart is set on the sleeve together you can come up with a solution to make it work for you.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

rocky513
on 10/24/18 5:26 am, edited 10/23/18 10:27 pm - WI

You just had surgery a few days ago. Come back in two years and tell us how you feel. There is a revisions board on this site. If you go back and read old post in that forum, you will see hundreds of VSG people getting revised to RNY because of reflux.

I had GERD for 25 years caused by an old VBG. RNY cured it. As long as I get my lab work done, and take the appropriate vitamins, I don't have to worry about malabsorption from RNY.

Edited to add: Living the rest of your life on a PPI like Protonix or Prilosec has been proven to cause health issues too.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

gh438
on 10/24/18 5:45 am, edited 10/23/18 10:45 pm
VSG on 10/18/18

Reading various message boards on various sites and speaking to my surgeon and it seems there are hundreds of people who have had vsg and never suffered from acid reflux. Everybody is different.

Speaking from personal experience, my ex-wife had RNY and suffered from malabsorption issues. So as stated in original comment, there are issues and complications from both procedures.

I sincerely apologize if me trying to be supportive to someone with questions and concerns seemed to upset you.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

rocky513
on 10/24/18 7:28 am - WI

It didn't "upset me".

I was just sharing my personal experience and pointing to the hundreds of people who have had to revise to RNY for GERD on this site.

I'm sure there are many people who never had GERD that get VSG and don't develop reflux after, but many doctors will refuse to do VSG on people who have persistent GERD. They know that VSG anatomy creates a "high pressure digestive system" and can worsen problems with reflux. Those are just facts.

As for malabsorption with RNY...yearly lab work and adjusting vitamins accordingly solves that problem. Vitamins are not a one size fits all thing. I have to take many more vitamins than the recommended 2 multi and calcium. If I watch my numbers for trends I can supplement to bring them up before they tank. I use a spreadsheet to keep track.

I would hate for anyone to go through the hell that I went through for 25 years.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

hollykim
on 10/24/18 6:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 24, 2018 at 4:45 AM Pacific Time, Teacherofmuggles wrote:
Hi friends, So I'm in the process of gong through all the test to get qualified for WLS. Today my Dr. sent me a message and said my upper GI test showed "prominent reflux but no hiatal hernia". I don't take nothing and don't feel like I have acid reflux. I know I can't be active right after a meal and sometimes my chest hurts but I've never been treated for it. My question is, I had my heart set on the sleeve because I am very worried about the malabsorption factory with RYN. I haven't talked to my Dr. yet but wanted to get some feedback from you all and any experience you have had. I hate to go through a surgery and then find out I have even worse reflux. TIA!

what you have is called "silent reflux. It is what I had prior to having a vsg.

After the vsg, my reflux got much much worse and became no longer silent.

I am nearly 8 years out. Back them it was thought the taking a PPI for the rest of our lives would solve the problem.

now we know that taking a PPI long term is not a good thing.

I can't tell you what to do. Just my experience. Managing the reflux can be an all day long job.

PCBR
on 10/24/18 6:45 am

I did have a hiatal hernia and some signs of gastritis, but not necessarily reflux. Post op, I have had reflux a few times, as I've gotten used to what I could eat and when. It's a really fluid situation (peppers used to cause reflux, but they don't). I hope that I stay lucky and don't develop GERD.

One thing that's good about RNY is that there's a lot more long term data on it vs VSG. I'm glad I was able to get the VSG for many reasons. But if I was giving anyone considering WLS, I'd suggest they consider and research all the procedures. I'd really grill your doc on the reflux thing if I were you.

Whatever road you go down, I wish you good luck and good health.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Most Active
Recent Topics