Clear liquid diet vs full liquid

Neeters
on 9/26/18 7:48 am
VSG on 09/17/18

I am curious about the "full liquid" diet I have seen mentioned in other posts. Prior to surgery my surgeon required protien shake 2 times a day and a small high protien low carb dinner. 4 days pre-op had to start clear liquids and the clear liquid diet is to continue 2 weeks post op. 3 weeks out I graduate to pureed and can't wait. I'm having major head hunger and fantasizing about food pretty often. But, it's been 2 weeks now (pre and post) where I've been restrained to clear liquids only...and I'm really burned out. I don't understand why my surgeons program doesn't include the full liquid and am wondering if I could get away with doing it on my own for the remaing 3 1/2 days until I go to pureed stage?

What is added by full liquids? I'm so over broth , water, broth water, sugar free popsicles, broth, water. Blah!!

Any suggestions, or should I play it safe and tough it out by following the program for the remaing few days?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/26/18 8:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your doctor says "clear liquids," you need to stay on clear liquids, no matter what other people on the forums have been told by their doctors.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neeters
on 9/26/18 6:49 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

Yes, you are right. Thank you for the reply.

Chanelcamp26
on 9/26/18 9:50 am
VSG on 07/24/18

Every surgeon seems to have their own guidelines. I didn't mind clear liquids because I couldn't stand protein drinks or creamy soups at the stage you are in anyway, but I can understand how many are sick of the broth and popsicles. However, I would put a call into your bariatric nurse or physician assistant and ask what is acceptable now that you are a little further out. They might say full liquids are ok. Just take it slow and get their professional opinion. You don't want to cause any complications. Remember that you did this for a reason and don't let that head hunger dictate what you put in your mouth. When I was in my first two weeks, I focused on meeting my liquid goal because I was so dizzy from medications and dehydration.

Hope you get some answers. You'll be on puréed in no time.

Neeters
on 9/26/18 6:48 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

Good advice. Thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics