5 Days Post Op

TripleAxel
on 9/23/18 10:56 am
VSG on 09/20/18

I would second what a lot of people have said. You just had major surgery and general anesthesia, which is a lot for any body to take. Hang in there and keep doing your sipping and walking. Hope you feel better soon.

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

Kathy S.
on 9/24/18 11:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Everyone feels this way and remember you just went through surgery so it's going to take awhile. Hang in there and it "WILL" get better

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

TripleAxel
on 9/24/18 3:09 pm
VSG on 09/20/18

OMG am so looking forward to not having to be eating or drinking every waking hour! Just sayin'.

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

TripleAxel
on 9/26/18 7:21 am
VSG on 09/20/18

Hey KimberLeeG, How are you doing? Hope you are feeling better.

KimberLeeG
on 9/26/18 7:32 am
VSG on 09/17/18

Heyy, yes I am. I actually went to see my surgeon yesterday(9/25), and he said although I am getting 64+ liquids in; it is mostly water...in turn making my electrolyte/h20 balance off- he said this is the reason for the light headed/almost faint feeling..my blood pressure was low. He advised me to switch to good ole Gatorade (knowing that I have to drink the regular, because I have an allergy to artificial Sweetner, so no diet/sugar free).

He said my progress is great, and I will be going in tomorrow(9/27) to have my blood pressure checked. If he doesn't like the numbers I will probably have to go back on the IV's (which I would like to avoid)..but I'm not a physician, so if I have to I will.

Other than that, just drinking lots of Gatorade (for now) and taking my vitamins, and following my meal plan! Hopefully I can get it together!!!

Thanks for asking! I'm happy for all the support, I was feeling really crappy that day.

how is it going for you?

Bufflehead
on 9/26/18 12:44 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I'm glad you got that worked out! I was about to post that you should look into orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure is low and it causes you to become dizzy or even faint when getting up from lying or sitting).

If you are still feeling lightheaded upon sitting or standing up, try pumping your legs like you are riding a bicycle for a couple of minutes before sitting or standing up. I know it sounds ridiculous but it works!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/26/18 2:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm no doctor, but I would be very concerned about the sugar and calories in Gatorade. During the weight-loss phase, most people stick to between 600 - 800 calories per day, but 64oz of Gatorade is nearly 500 calories.

If you need electrolytes, I'd suggest checking out electrolyte tablets that you can take with a glass of water. I use these when I exercise in the Arizona heat and they work very well.

http://a.co/d/3Aby8fr

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KimberLeeG
on 9/26/18 2:21 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

I go back tomorrow, hopefully he says I'm in the clear with so much Gatorade and I can ease up. I'm really just concerned with healing my body honestly...I've lost 42 lbs since starting this process so far, with MFP and my Surgeon... I am still counting/recording my calories so I can adjust.

TripleAxel
on 9/26/18 5:09 pm
VSG on 09/20/18

Glad to hear you are getting some answers about the lightheadedness. I was starting my day with 8 oz of water over an eternity, and found I was lightheaded mid-morning. Now I've been starting the day with a protein shake instead to get a few calories on board, and that makes me feel better.

Otherwise I am doing well. I seem to have a pulled muscle or a torn adhesion from an old scar in my right abdominal wall, so I have to be very careful not to tweak that when getting up/down from a chair or out of bed, but otherwise I'm feeling a bit better each day.

Keep me posted on your progress; I'm rooting for you!

KimberLeeG
on 9/27/18 7:26 am
VSG on 09/17/18

That's a good idea to do the protein shake first..I think I will try that. I hope every day gets better for you!!

Most Active
Recent Topics