Scared ****less

cappy11448
on 9/16/18 1:53 pm

I had my surgery 5 years ago and I remember being so scared of the surgery, that I waited until I was in my 60's and almost 400 pounds before having the surgery. The surgery was a piece of cake. It was so easy, and uneventful. I was up and walking within a few hours, and went home a day early because I was doing so well.

The surgical procedures and anesthesia are quite sophisticated these days. It is most likely that you will be just fine. I'd suggest that you try not to worry until you have something to worry about.

The good news is that I lost 225 pounds, and went from a BMI of 60 to a BMI of 24. And 5 years later, I'm maintaining at 175 (about 15 pounds over my low.)

I can buckle my seatbelt on a plane with lots of spare seatbelt, and I can keep up with the best of them as I climb the stairs of the Parthenon, or Machu Picchu.

best of luck with your surgery. I think you'll be so glad you did it.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jrbushey1234
on 9/16/18 5:15 pm
VSG on 09/18/18

Thank you for sharing, I am having my surgery 9/18 and your kind words are so helful

PCBR
on 9/16/18 6:52 pm, edited 9/16/18 11:53 am

Surgery is scary. Facing life long life changes is scary. I had my VSG back in June and questioned it up until the last minute. If you need to, remind yourself why you came to this decision. Remind yourself that diet and exercise are proven to work 1-5% of the time. I had a rougher recovery than some. But telling you, not one day after my surgery was worse than one more single day of being 5?5? and 260lbs. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was moving forward vs. wallowing constant embarrassment, discomfort, and disappointment in myself. I?d be lying if I didn?t say it?s still daunting to think about what lies ahead. I still have about 60lbs to go until my personal goal. I still think and worry over whether or not I will regain.

A good approach is to just concentrate on what you need to do now, and the next few steps ahead. And ignore the noise from other people. They don?t live in you body. If they are thin, they don?t have the first idea what it?s like for us.

FInally, there will be moments post op when you will feel deep regret. You?ll wonder what you did to yourself. You?ll curse yourself for doing this to your body. This is a really normal phase. When those LBs start to drop, when you get in a groove, that?s gonna melt away.

Good luck.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Italiangal
on 9/17/18 2:09 pm
Revision on 10/08/18

I hear you and wish you good luck with your surgery and post-op. It's normal to be nervous.

I also had lap band about 6 years ago and lost some weight, but food kept getting stuck and that was really bothering me, so I had my band removed in April. My surgeon will not perform gastric sleeve until I am 6 months out from band removal. I see my surgeon in a couple of days and hope that I will get a surgery date - can't wait because since band removal I have gained back almost 30 pounds. I am upset about that and having to wait for sleeve surgery, but am anxious to get it done already! I also have not told anyone about my surgery because I am embarrassed to admit that I need this to be normal weight and I also don't want to hear criticism. I am trying to think up an excuse to use after surgery as to why I can't go out to dinner.

Like you, I have had a weight problem my entire life and am really sick of it. It's our decision and no one should ridicule it. People who do not have a big weight problem just don't get it!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Most Active
Recent Topics