Spoon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/18 7:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

And when you say "dense meat" what exactly do you mean? Chicken? Beef? Fish?

ejdiel
on 9/12/18 6:16 am

All of above

rocky513
on 9/7/18 5:25 am - WI

The whole point of getting surgery is to restrict the amount of food you can eat. A serving of meat for a person who has not had surgery is 3 ounces (about the size of a deck of cards). You want to eat more than that?

Why do you think not being able to eat 4 ounces of meat (after you had surgery to restrict the amount you can eat) is a problem?

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mmsmom
on 9/7/18 4:27 am - Woburn, MA

I am 4 years out and can't eat 4 oz of meat - that's a good thing in my book. Small meals, a few snacks, lots of liquids. Didn't we get this surgery to limit how much we could eat? I know i did.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 9/7/18 10:20 am

Its not the size of the spoon that matters, it's what is being put on that spoon that matters. Most VSGrs after surgery would be lucky to eat 3oz of protein such as chicken, fish etc. For myself I weigh 2 oz of meat protein, add my steamed veg and forgo the starchy carbs and arrange that on my side plate for a meal. I also supplement with a protein powder shake/ smoothie and the occasional premiere protein.

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Donna L.
on 9/8/18 9:42 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

While you should be able to eat probably closer to 1 cup measured (not volume) after a year out, 4 ounces of dense meat is not at all unreasonable, either, as meat takes up a lot of space after chewing. That's not necessarily a bug but a feature?

Definitely call the surgeon and inquire, but remember your new anatomy really isn't much larger than 4 ounces, though. Call ASAP if there's pain or vomiting.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics