Psychologists focused on managing the mental side of weight loss....

jennysays01
on 9/4/18 4:27 pm
VSG on 10/25/18

Hi Everyone!

I've just scheduled my VSG sugery for October 25th! I'm very excited and this has been a year in the making for me, following a lifelong struggle with yo-yo weight loss.

I'm a self-pay patient as I dont have any co-morbidities.

I'm hoping to get some advice from folks that are seeing a therapist as part of their weight loss journey post surbery?

I'm well aware that the sleeve will only help as a tool, and that the root of my over eating is attached to my brain

I'm looking into therapists that specialize in bariatric patients that I can see regularly post surgery -anyone else doing this? Or if you're in the chicagoland area, anyone have any therapist recommendations?

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/18 9:49 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I see a therapist regularly, but she is not specialized in bariatric patients. I don't know if you need one who specializes in it. I would recommend just finding a decent therapist, one you can connect with and feel comfortable with.

Gwen M.
on 9/5/18 7:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally agree with Mersh here. I've seen a therapist since pre-op and it's been extremely useful for me.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kathy S.
on 9/5/18 9:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Jenny,

Congratulations for taking the next step to better health, better life. I have been here over 15 years and I can tell you with certainty those that get to goal and stay at goal deal with their head issues. Those that don't come back a few years later for a revision. I tell people you have to get it right between the ears before re-arranging your plumbing.

Let me see if I can find a therapist for you but my best advice is check with your surgeon's office, they should know of a few. If not, call the bariatric department of some of the larger hospitals like Northwestern and they should be able to give you a few names as well.

We look forward to your updates and if you need anything, let us know.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jennysays01
on 9/5/18 10:49 am
VSG on 10/25/18

Thanks for replies, really appreciate the feedback.

Kathy really appreciate all the info. I have spoken with my surgeon and his office recommended a couple of therapists but they're all pretty far away- far enough that I know it will be a hassle to get to them on a regular basis.

Good idea about calling weight loss centers from hospitals that are closer to me- I'll definitely check that out!

Kathy S.
on 9/5/18 1:19 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I had my surgery at Northwestern and they have a great program. Hopefully they can find someone for you. Keep us posted!!!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/18 4:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you can't find a therapist who specializes in bariatric patients, I'd suggest looking for one who helps patients with eating disorders. Though they may normally work with patients with anorexia and whatnot, I've heard that they are often well-equipped to help WLS folks as well!

Teresa G.
on 9/5/18 8:22 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Jenny, I think it's fantastic that you want to address the head issues as you travel on your WLS journey. I believe that doing that will give you a much better chance of success! GOOD FOR YOU!

I started seeing my therapist the same time I started the 6 month pre-op program. I will be seeing her indefinitely...I need her help to explore and discover what my lifetime of compulsive eating is actually "feeding" and to learn how to manage or even overcome my propensity to overeat.

I found her by googling "eating disorder therapists" in my area. A good number of hits came back, and I was prepared to keep seeing one after the other until I found "the one". I'm so very fortunate that I found her at my very first visit to the very first one I made an appt with.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

jennysays01
on 9/6/18 10:06 am
VSG on 10/25/18

Well, I just had my EGD today and what was supposed to be just a pre-surgery check the box turned into GERD and an ulcer.

The doctor didn't seem too concerned and has written me a prescription to heal both and seems to think things will clear up in a week or two.

I tried asking her questions about how this affect my VSG, but she didn't have to many answers other than she'd send the results to my bariatric surgeon.

Assuming the GERD is mild and the ulcer heals (which doctor said she didn't see any reason why it wouldn't), I'm going to hope for the best and pray that I can still have the VSG.

I know RNY may be my other option- it just seems so much more involved than VSG (not to mention the surgeon I've selected doesn't offer RNY so I'd need to find a new surgeon). I'm also self-pay and RNY is so much more expensive than VSG.....

Really disappointed right now and hoping everything works out.

Most Active
Recent Topics