Time for food again! Advice needed

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/18 12:52 pm
VSG on 05/21/18

I use "MyFitnessPal". It's free and thats what my surgen wanted me to use.

Shannon S.
on 8/27/18 4:17 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Scramble eggs w/ smoked salmon, refried beans and cheese, meatballs and mozzarella, chicken livers and gravy (the jarred not so fattening kind), liverwurst and cheese roll ups. Soft fish, and scallops were also on my plan. I know I eat weird, but these foods saved my life!

happyteacher
on 8/28/18 5:25 am

Here are a few tips-

scrambled egg with feta- but not overcooked!!! That was a recipe for serious pain. They had to be glistening or soft cooked.

SparkleKitty mentioned measuring. I just want to emphasize this- you will not have your normal full signals and it is really easy to overeat. Common signals for us are getting a runny nose or hiccups. Not all experience that though. I still get the runny nose thing even this far out.

I use(d) myfitnasspall.com free and gets it done. Easy to use because of a phone app or online access so you can log as you go. Super important- it is shocking how quickly bites of this and that add up!

Just a gentle reminder to think about things with small seeds you may not realize to avoid right now-- like strawberries.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 8/29/18 9:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I made a ricotta bake "lasagna" close to both surgeries. It definitely got that pizza jones. I ate a lot of salmon actually... I spent extra and got very nice salmon and learned to cook it. It was insanely satisfying, and eating very little made it more affordable by quite a bit. Scallops were another favorite for the VSG, but when I had to revise for GERD I stopped being able to tolerate them and still can't.

I skipped mashed carb foods because I wanted to heal ASAP and so ditched those for soft proteins. A lot of dairy, soft tofu with savory sauces (braised in soy, scrambled with garlic and some salt) which was better than I thought it would be. I also skipped carby foods because I had issues overeating them. You may not have the same issues though:)

Eggs...oh god. Eggs are still the scourge of the universe for me, but some people tolerate them well.

Whatever foods you decide, try them one at a time and plain at first. Slowly experiment from there. Try to eat only 1 food type at a time. So, don't eat, say, eggs scrambled with cheese. Try eggs by themselves, and then cheese by itself. Try ricotta alone and then try it mixed with things. That way you can discover any food intolerance you may have.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

adistacke
on 8/29/18 1:07 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

Be cautious of refried beans...they were on my approved list and almost killed me. They cause a lot of gas build up and when you haven't eaten food in about 4 weeks, i would start with something else. I was allowed soft fish so had a lot of tilapia and salmon but could only eat a few bites at a time. I saw some of the debate with mashed potatoes...i ate them but only a few bites and lost 50 pounds in 2 months so all individual. I also recommend a high protein yogurt with lower sugar. I really like chobani. Chicken salad was also another easy go to that you can pack for work. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics