Time for food again! Advice needed

califsleevin
on 8/31/18 2:43 pm - CA

Whether something is a fad or not is a social characterization of the product or activity that has little or nothing to do with its technical or therapeutic merits; it is simply that many indulge in that activity because others are doing so, too. It is useful to understand this character as that can have a big influence in what we get out of it, how to benefit from it and how to mitigate its' negative effects. Gluten free is getting big in the fad world as many think that it will help them lose weight, or see a favorite celebrity touting it. This is a great thing if one suffers from Celiac or non-Celiac gluten intolerance as it means that there a lot more gluten free products on the market than there otherwise would be. Likewise, when my wife was first diagnosed as diabetic some thirty years ago, there was little available in the supermarkets at the time aimed at that problem, as everything was aimed at the low fat fad; one had to go mail order (remember that?) or if in a major market, a specialty bricks and mortar sugar free store. Today, those products are all over the place. On the negative side, it means that one needs to be attentive to the marketing directed at the fad, since everyone is counting carbs, any labeling for them will be as charitable as possible (usually without going to VW levels of fraud.) But it does mean that one needs to look out for the frankenfoods that make dubious substitutions in the name of a low carb number (just as in the days of the low fat frankenfoods.)

If I were, for instance, interested in buying shares in Tesla, it is in my interest to understand that there is a strong fad component in its ownership makeup because many people like the car, or Elon, and this influences the price that one may pay for it - quite independent of the intrinsic value of the company. This may be a positive or a negative, but shouldn't be ignored. This makes it quite a different proposition than buying, say, Con Edison which few buy simply because they are a customer and who know who the CEO is?

It's a double edged sword - which means that it needs to be treated accordingly.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/18 3:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You say that:

Whether something is a fad or not is a social characterization of the product or activity that has little or nothing to do with its technical or therapeutic merits

The gluten free movement certainly counts as a fad, because, as you point out, unless you have celiac or other gluten intolerance, being gluten free has no technical or therapeuti.

But the actual definition of fad is:

fad fad/ noun
  1. an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
So labeling something as a fad is to brand it with BOTH broad popularity AND being without any quality or value.

The gluten free movement certainly counts as a fad, because, as you point out, unless you have celiac or other gluten intolerance, being gluten free has no technical or therapeutic value.

Low carb, especially for those morbidly obese, or formerly morbidly obese, has tremendous medical value, as Donna points out above. This is not a fad. It may have broad popularity, but also accomplishes specific medical purposes. To call it a fad is simply incorrect. But I'm sure you will be inflexible enough to continue doing so anyway.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

califsleevin
on 8/31/18 2:13 pm - CA

The problem that we have here is that there are lots of hypotheses in the diet business which sound good and have plausible scientific bases, but have yet (or never do) achieve validation and acceptance with the cognizant scientific community. Part of the problem is that, as with the recent thread on the findings that associate low carb dieting with lower life expectancy, it is real tough to do sound long term research in the field, as it is hard to enforce dietary standards on test groups over long periods of time; as with this study, self reporting is a common technique. Rodent studies can better provide long term dietary enforcement, but with the obvious objection about the comparability of rodent vs. human physiology (particularly if the trials find against one's hypothesis!) Also as noted in that discussion is that sponsorship can influence results - the meat packing industry loves Atkins and keto diets as much as ADM and Kellog's like grain based diets. These are influences that have to get evaluated at the higher scientific levels as part of the validation process that tend to get ignored at the more marketing based diet promotional level.

I suspect that part of the professional resistance toward acceptance of the keto/Atkins hypotheses is that there is still that sticking point about diets overall not having a notable effect on the obesity problem - that 95+ % long term failure rate that no diet seems to be able to break. Certainly, there may be a different lucky 5ish % who can succeed with different diet schemes, which seems to bring some professional judgement and guidance into play as to which diet plan my be most appropriate for which patient. There may also be some experience at play here, as witness the low fat/cholesterol diets that had similarly detailed biochemical rationale, but ultimately failed to make the jump from a limited, specific case to the general case; it seems that our physiology and biochemistry is a lot more complex than is represented in these different hypotheses, which makes it tougher to reach general conclusions from specific treatments. In the cases where WLS is added to the mix, success rates are much higher, but there likewise doesn't seem to be much top level evidence that these different dietary styles play as significant a role as the various advocates may suggest.

As with those online BMR calculators that suggest what your BMR should be as opposed to what it actually is (which can be quite different for us current and former fatties,) so too it seems that these diet hypotheses seem to represent what they think your body should be doing vs. what top line data suggests is actually happening. Or, in other words, the model is incomplete and only represents part of the picture. That doesn't mean that it isn't useful in trying to understand what is happening (which is usually the point of making such a model,) but caution needs to be applied in stretching it beyond its' intended purpose (granted, if the purpose is to simply sell a diet and the paraphernalia that goes with it, then anything that sounds convincing is fair game; if it is to treat a particular patient's problems, then one needs to be a bit more cir****pect.)

I recognize that we are coming at this from quite disparate perspectives. I come at this from what one may characterize as a success perspective, modeling my views and actions based upon the past fifteen years or so of working with a program that put little emphasis on carbohydrate restriction, other than simple carbs and sugars, and seeing the success of those who were a few years ahead of us, and indeed we still have dinner with a good group of them most every month in our support group. Demographically, I can't see that the group is markedly different than any other group of WLS patients and prospects, (and possibly a bit heavier than average,) but certainly not a group of lightweights. By your writings, you are dealing with many who have been struggling, and demographically these days that will tend to mean that they are having problems with carbs and sugars; I suspect that a generation ago you would be dealing with many who were struggling with fat cravings, as that was the predominant dietary abuse at that time and where most of the excess calories were coming from.

As to the subject early diets of potatoes, refries, oatmeal, etc., they aren't intended as comfort food or a substitute for meats, but as a transition between liquids and more solid foods. Generally, adding protein to the mashed potatoes is recommended if those are being used, but overall it is part of a transitory scheme rather than as part of a long term staple. I haven't seen anything particularly negative about it used in those terms, though certainly abuse is possible as with anything. Looking at our online population here, I suspect that we have more of a problem with eating disorder transfers (orthorexia, anyone?) than oatmeal addiction. (My own schtick was to try to keep as maintenance oriented a diet as possible within our restrictions to limit the transition issues that seem to create the most problems for people, with or without WLS.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Teresa G.
on 8/31/18 2:30 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with
On August 27, 2018 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, califsleevin wrote:

Lots of things will stimulate insulin production, so there is no reason to lift out a particular food, such as potatoes, unless there is a specific problem that that person is having. Yes, others can have RH, even non-WLS people, but the existence of such outliers is no reason to be prescribing a particular diet or course of treatment to someone who is not so affected - that's just bad medicine. So, much like recommending that an RNY patient should be on a PPI or a reflux/low acid diet simply because there are a few outlying cases of GERD with the RNY, one shouldn't be trying to correct RH or dumping in cases where it does not exist. These types of unnecessary dietary restrictions is why some suffer malnutritrion, or have to supplement more than they otherwise should if they maintained a relatively normal dietary balance, something we see fairly commonly in these forums.

The experience of vets is very useful, both in person through support groups if possible, and online. Where it loses value is when individual experiences are offered up as general coolie cutter advice - right: "XYZ triggers cravings in me so I avoid it"; wrong: "XYZ is a trigger food and we should not have it". Yes, simple carbohydrates and sugars start absorption in the mouth and on down - but not complex carbohydrates which can have a substantial delay that can be very useful. Ultimately, they all get absorbed calorically (DS excepted) irrespective where that absorption begins, understanding the where and how of absorption is useful in managing our physiology, but location of absorption is neither right nor wrong, good nor bad.

Yes, some people can be carbohydrate sensitive - there is a genetic predisposition towards diabetes and insulin resistance that includes a genuine carbohydrate sensitivity, and those with this makeup can benefit from low carb dieting; for most others it is just another fad diet. There are many who claim that they are "carb sensitive" by virtue that they may gain a bit after consuming some increased amount, but they are usually only seeing water weight fluctuations resulting from their low glycogen levels - a manically low carb diet causes that carb sensitivity, which goes away if they maintained a relatively normal dietary balance instead.

Yes, ketosis will result from the caloric deficit after our WLS. It also results from maintaining a high fat, low carb diet without a caloric deficit (or even a surplus) resulting in no weight loss or even a gain; ketosis does not equal weight loss. This is why high fat, low carb diets are often prescribed to non-WLS gastrectomy patients - to avoid or minimize weight loss. Adding fat bombs or bulletproof coffee to one's diet may help achieve ketosis (for whatever reason one wants to do that,) but will not yield additional weight loss, unless those added calories are lost somewhere else in the diet. Some speak of ketosis not as a normal result of weight losing caloric deficit, but as the desirable end game. Sorry, ketosis is not an ******!

Good habits are essential to good long term success in this game. Avoiding high carbohydrate foods is not necessarily one of them - there are a lot of highly nutritious high carbohydrate foods that are entirely consistent with good weight control. There are also lots of high calorie/low nutrition junk foods that should generally be avoided, and they can be of both a high carbohydrate and high fat nature (and are often both.) Good nutrition, and weight control, entails maximizing the good while minimizing the bad.

BS and hunger control is very compositionally varied, and is quite dependent upon the blend of fats, carbs and proteins in the particular food or meal, and quite specifically fiber content. Some of the most long term satisfying foods on our menu can be high carb, specifically when we get into high fiber vegetables. They can be much more satisfying, not to mention much lower calorie, than some high fat SBUX drinks.

These basic dietary descriptions such as low carb or fat, or random macro counts or ratios, can be very deceptive when it comes to real world eating, and can result in some fairly malnutritive eating habits, as they are really a rather poor measure of what a good diet should be for a person. To one person a "keto" diet may mean an all natural, non packaged/processed diet avoiding the common junk foods of today, while to another it just simply means

I think this is the most sensible, logical and reasonable post I've ever seen on post WLS diet.

THANK you califsleevin, for taking the time to write this all out!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/18 6:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Most people are dying to add foods back in. My best advice is to take it slow. It's not an emergency. Add one food at a time, and see how you tolerate it. One person will do great with eggs, for example, while someone else can't eat eggs for several months. Go slow to see where you fall.

Weighing and logging food was critical to my success. I know I would have eaten more at every meal if I hadn't. And eating more would have meant slower loss, and I might never have reached my goal.

By far the most commonly used app/website is MyFitnessPal. It's free, and it syncs with a lot of other apps, devices, etc, if you want to. It's really easy to use.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

PCBR
on 8/24/18 6:24 am

I like MyFitness Pal (app). I've used it on and off for years and it's pretty easy. My nutritionist likes Baritastic as it's geared toward us. But because I am familiar with MFP, I just stayed with it.

Why not come on over to the menu thread and participate? It's more than just food recitations and it's a good place for tangents.

For food: I reco getting a rotisserie chicken or preparing chicken in a slow cooker. Ma**** up with a fork (make sure it isn't too dry) with a spoonful of beans or avocado. That used to keep me going for hours.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/24/18 7:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A few tips:

• Eat slowly and take TINY bites. As in, each bite is the size of a grain of rice. Put your fork down between bites to make yourself move slower.

• Measure your food, and start with smaller portions, about 1oz. Your stomach has been cut and you won't feel any sort of restriction for at least a few weeks, so it's easy to fill your sleeve too full.

• Make sure not to drink for 30 minutes after you eat. That will wash the food right out of your sleeve and you won't feel satisfied.

• If you want recipes, look at Eggface's blog. Her ricotta bake and egg bites are great recipes for when you've moved to soft food.
kamac
on 8/24/18 9:18 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I started out using My Fitness Pal, but I've since switched to Cronometer. After I got used to the interface, I went for the paid version ($50 per year). Cronometer tracks everything- the amino acids in your protein, total carbs and net carbs, vitamins and minerals, your Basal Metobolic Rate, your macro percentages.

It takes some time to set up your targets for macros and micros (it defaults to standard recommended amounts, but I adjusted the numbers to what I need as a wls patient). And it doesn't have as many packaged foods or recipes entered into the system as MFP does, so I also spent some time doing that.

But now that I've got it all set up, I find it invaluable.

For adding foods, as others have said go slow and chew really well. I think it helps to eat in a quiet environment, as much as possible. And at the first sign of trouble when introducing a new food, stop whatever it is you're eating. For me, "trouble" has meant a sudden crazy gurgling in my sleeve. First time it happened in reaction to SF ketchup. I kept eating and within a few minutes I was hot and dizzy and felt unwell. It's happened once or twice since then with a new food, and I just stop immediately and I'm fine. Then I grab some yogurt or a protein shake instead.

Also, papaya enzymes. I take them when the gurgling happens, and when food seems to be sitting heavy in my sleeve. They're supposed to help with digestion.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

PCBR
on 8/24/18 10:01 am

You're getting lots of great advice about not just what, but how to eat.

I also want to add: Try not to eat with distractions. The one time I painfully overate was because I was multitasking and working on my computer at the same time.

Also: Do NOT feel like you need to "finish" the food that you prepared for yourself. At your stage, I'd have about 2 or 3 oz of food on a plate. After about 1.5 oz, I'd feel "done". But I had a mental impulse to not "waste" what I'd prepared and plated--it was so little food already, and I'd put work into making it! I really had the fight the urge to take more bites. It's okay to save food for later. If food waste is troubling to you, get a composter. Just do NOT eat more than your sleeve can handle, for silly reasons.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/18 11:56 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Eggs was my first more solid food choice. Eggs with a tiny bit of jalapeno hummus, I think. I ate half of one egg lol.

Myfitnesspal is the app of choice around here, and I like it. It's easy to use. Best advice is to weigh and measure your food, it's hard to overeat at a meal when your meal is portioned out for the amount you need already.

Most Active
Recent Topics