Sadness

JohnJoeJ
on 8/3/18 7:30 pm

I am 2 weeks post-op. Walking fine, doing the sipping thing. Off my pain meds. No nausea, vomiting, sometimes I drink too fast and it feels strange but all in all I think I'm doing ok. My thing is in the past few days, I am feeling very sad...not a depression per se but sad. I am recovering in one state while my wife is in another may be a big part of it but not all of it. Sometimes I even feel that I did the wrong thing having the surgery. Are these normal feeling or should I talk to someone?

Thanks in advance.

jeynu1
on 8/3/18 8:18 pm
VSG on 11/16/17

These are very normal feelings. Many people feel regret in the first few weeks at some point. But, also keep in mind that your body has just been through a major surgery and there were a lot of changes to your body chemistry that can cause mood changes. Plus, in these early stages you aren't able to boost your seratonin through the food you eat, so you just feel kind of stuck in that funk for a minute. The good news is, your body will adjust more as things progress. But, getting our minds on track is sometimes under-rated. I started seeing a therapist about 2 months ago because my main coping skill (burying my emotions with food) was gone and I hit a pretty rough patch. My therapist is also a bariatric patient, which I specifically requested, and so she has a deeper understanding than others might. So, if you feel like the depression is getting worse or even like just talking to someone would help, I think that's a great idea. But, know you are not the only one to go through this. Hope you are feeling better soon.

hollykim
on 8/3/18 8:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 4, 2018 at 2:30 AM Pacific Time, JohnJoeJ wrote:

I am 2 weeks post-op. Walking fine, doing the sipping thing. Off my pain meds. No nausea, vomiting, sometimes I drink too fast and it feels strange but all in all I think I'm doing ok. My thing is in the past few days, I am feeling very sad...not a depression per se but sad. I am recovering in one state while my wife is in another may be a big part of it but not all of it. Sometimes I even feel that I did the wrong thing having the surgery. Are these normal feeling or should I talk to someone?

Thanks in advance.

yes, this can happen after weight loss surgery because of the rapid weight loss.

Hormones are stored in fat and as we begin to burn our stored fat, the hormones are released into our blood streams and can cause these feelings, even for men.

it should level out after the initial hormone dump.

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/18 1:43 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I definitely had the thought of "What have I done to myself?" After surgery. I was worried and scared and yes sad. It's normal when you have so much going on. Your guts were all changed around! Don't be afraid to reach out for support in how you are feeling.

Gwen M.
on 8/4/18 4:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hiya. These are normal feelings, but you should also talk to someone. There's a lot of feelings throughout this process and a therapist can really help you to figure out good coping skills.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 8/4/18 5:01 am

"Buyer's remorse" is very common, but it still may be a good idea to find someone to talk to.

I cried for the first few weeks. "What have I done? Why couldn't I just lose weight on my own?" I was a mess.

Take care of yourself as you continue to heal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/4/18 10:08 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

Surgery is a big deal and I had a lot of regrets for the first 9 months. I do think it is very important to talk to someone. I never thought I would be in therapy but it has helped so much and I recommend everyone do it. Your hormones are all over the place after surgery so it is totally normal. Good luck and definitely talk to someone.

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

JohnJoeJ
on 8/5/18 12:57 am

Thank you everybody for your very supportive comments. Feeling better already...good to know I'm not alone and I'm very grateful for people like you guys that Share.

John

jae43
on 8/6/18 5:16 pm
VSG on 07/23/18

I experienced the same thing as I am 2 weeks post-op. Your not alone

SKimster
on 8/7/18 8:19 pm
VSG on 05/22/18

I flat out had full blown depression that started 2 weeks after surgery. I took a natural remedy that gets serotonin to your brain. I took 200mg of 5HTP once a night. After 3 days or so if your don't feel better then add another one. Look up 5HTP and dosing for depression on the internet. It's the only thing that has helped me with my chronic depression since I was 17 years old.

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Most Active
Recent Topics