How long did you chew or crush your vitamins?

MissCheri18
on 8/2/18 3:10 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Those very small (like a baby aspirin) I did not have to crush, unfortunately I had others I had to crush. I crushed them until my medical team told me it was OK to stop! I do have some chewable and I will use them until they are gone and maybe rebuy after that too. I have some pills I have trouble swallowing still so I cut them in 1/2 now but I no longer crush any. Again, I do what my medical/surgical team tells me.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

kamac
on 8/2/18 6:28 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thank you, I've got a post-surgery class in a couple of weeks and will ask them about it. I've got another 30 day supply of chewables, but I'm hoping my center will agree to allow me to start regular vitamins a couple of weeks earlier than the full 2 months.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

califsleevin
on 8/2/18 4:42 pm - CA

Yes, chewable vitamins and crushed pills is mostly a bypass thing, from where they were worried about pills getting stuck in the stoma (which we don't have) and a lot of practices never updated their protocols when they started doing the sleeve, though they can be useful for those who have more than average inflammation i their stomach. Most pills go through well enough one at a time with a sip of water, rather than a handful with a gulp (that will come later.) Normally, the most common problem pill is calcium as they tend to be horse pills - that's the only one where I used a chewable - though there are some brands that have smaller half dose petite tablets that work well, too.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

kamac
on 8/2/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I wondered about that. At my center, the sleeve information seems almost "tacked on" to the main focus which is RNY (up here in Ontario, our public health coverage will only pay for VSG if the surgeon decides RNY is unfeasible).

I don't mind taking the chewables for the short term, but I'm looking forward to get back on my usual vitamins.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Shannon S.
on 8/2/18 8:12 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Chewables for 2 weeks post op. I only took my multi and b-12 during this period which were both chewable. Afterwards I could swallow the handful all at once no problem.

kamac
on 8/3/18 8:08 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, Shannon. I've got another 30 supply of chewables, but this is giving me hope my center will clear me to start regular capsules when they're done, especially since I've had no trouble with my sleeve thus far.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Shannon S.
on 8/3/18 6:13 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Great! Yes, it didn't effect my swallowing mechanism whatsoever. I think whatever your tolerance to swallowing pills was before, it will be the same soon. Best wishes to you.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/18 10:17 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I could do regular pills right away, however I do a chewable multi from celebrate vitamins because it's easier on me. I take regular calcium, however I chew the tablets and swig the powder down with water.

kamac
on 8/3/18 7:58 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, mershmellow! It's good to hear a fair number of folks could do pills right away.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Valerie G.
on 8/5/18 9:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Never.

I was taking 12 horse pills the day I came home from the hospital...one at a time..nice and slow.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics