Stomach spasms and hunger pangs five days post VSG.

Nessam72
on 7/29/18 6:24 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

Yes, right in the middle of my stomach. I knew that my doc was going to inflate and deflate, the nurse told me. That's one of the reasons I was convinced that it was gas.

Nessam72
on 7/29/18 8:52 am
VSG on 07/24/18

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm walking around the house...not outside yet.

best wishes!

kamac
on 7/29/18 12:05 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I get gurgling and what feels like intense hunger pangs too, mostly at night. I'm 3 weeks post-op, but it started a couple of days after surgery.

It really bothered me at first and I thought something was wrong because I expected to NOT feel hungry after surgery. Vets here told me it could be my sleeve adjusting and settling after surgery, could be acid, could be dehydration.

I made sure to get in my water and protein every day. And now I try to do breathing exercises at night when the pangs and gurgling start.

I don't know if it's actually gotten better, or if I've just gotten used to it, but it isn't bothering me as much now. I think my brain is slowly getting used to the idea that those pangs don't mean hunger.

Just to illustrate how messed up our brain signals can be- about 10 days after surgery I got my period. That morning, I was waking up in bed and experiencing what I thought were super strong hunger pangs. I was like, omg I'm so hungry I can't stand this I have to eat something. Didn't realize I'd gotten my period until I went to the washroom. As soon as I saw I was menstruating, I realized I wasn't having hunger pangs. It was menstrual cramps. And then they started feeling like regular, familiar cramps.

It was really weird and I felt like a dolt for thinking it was hunger. But it was a good lesson not to automatically assume what my body is telling me!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Nessam72
on 7/29/18 12:31 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

Thanks Kamac!

You bring up a good point about how our brain signals can mess us up if we're not aware of it.

My cycle came on the morning of my surgery, what's strange about that is that for the first time I had no cramps or backaches.

i knew that my brain signals were off when i was recovering in the hospital, I was told about gas pains so many times that I was convinced that that's what I was feeling. When I got home, I noticed that it wasn't gas but incredible hunger pangs! And for two days that's what I thought I was feeling. Then My third night home, I decided to pay more attention to what I was feeling and then I noticed the difference between the pangs and spasms. I'm gonna do my best to keep water and protein shakes a priority, instead of just following the example menu they gave me.

i thought that something was wrong (incision leak, ulcer) but the on call doctor said that I showed no signs of either, and that it was too soon for it to be an ulcer.

kamac
on 7/29/18 2:47 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I think our entire insides just go a bit wild and crazy after this surgery, lol. Gas, acid, water retention, constipation, diarrhea, out-of-sync menstruation, plus an assortment of gurgles, pangs, and rumblings. Fun stuff, lol.

Good to know the doctor said it's nothing serious. Things do get better, and hopefully the worst of these pangs will be behind you soon.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Nessam72
on 7/29/18 6:20 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

I sure hope so! Lol

Gwen M.
on 7/29/18 1:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I've had similar experiences! It can be hard for me every so often, even now, to distinguish between uterine cramping, bowel pressure because I need to poop, and hunger.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kamac
on 7/29/18 2:56 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

It's good to know I'm not the only one!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics