Food Fatigue

Melody P.
on 7/27/18 6:06 pm - Amarillo, TX

I am about 4 1/2 months out now. The past two weeks or so i've grown bored with my regular food choices. I'm drawing a blank when it comes to ideas! Many, many, MANY blanks. I'm about to sit down to pinterest to try and find some idea of something. It'll only be the umpteenth time doing so LOL.

My mind is having major brain farts.

I'm wondering if any of you have ideas for meal prep? I eat mostly chicken and ground beef. I have an instapot , crock pot and the regular other stuff.

I find I do well with breakfast and lunch but without planning dinner is up in the air and i've made some not so wise choices.

I appreciate any advice or tips.

Mel

Cathy H.
on 7/27/18 6:13 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was thrilled when food fatigue set in. I finally feel like food is unimportant in my life! I eat the same thing for breakfast and for lunch nearly every day, and only change up dinner. But even that consists of about a dozen different combinations. Someone told me they thought eating like I do would be boring. My response was "that was the point, to take the focus off of food in my life." I eat things I like, that taste good to me, but I don't dwell on variety or preparation. It has helped me a lot in dealing with my food addiction.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 7/27/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Following the daily meal post might be good? I get lots of great recipes from Paleo blogs - they've tend to fit in our way of eating.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 8:06 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I live in food fatigue. I hate food, but I found it easiest to make meals based on the plan that I am going to use up my freezer foods at this point and get them finished before buying much more.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/28/18 6:37 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I google for new dinner ideas periodically. Here's a couple I've made which is really good:

https://kalynskitchen.com/low-carb-deconstructed-pizza-casse role/

ZUCCHINI EGGPLANT (AUBERGINE) LOW-CARB LASAGNA

1. Peel eggplant. Slice eggplant and zucchini lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/4 inch). Place on baking sheet, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil these, turning and re-spraying with oil once, until lightly browned on both sides. These are your "noodles". It's time-consuming, but it's SO worth it!
  2. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil. Saute onion and garli****il just beginning to brown. Add chopped turkey sausage, if using. Cook about 10 minutes. Add red pepper and mushrooms, stirring gently. Cook 5 minutes. Add jarred pasta sauce and thawed spinach (squeeze out most of the liquid). Simmer about 10 more minutes.
  3. Combine ricotta, cottage cheese, eggs, scallions and nutmeg. Set aside.
  4. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  5. Layer 1/3 of sauce in 9x13 baking dish. Layer 1/2 eggplant and zucchini slices. Top with 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/3 mozzarella, and 1/3 parmesan.
  6. Repeat.
  7. Top with final 1/3 sauce, then mozzarella and parmesan. Cover with foil and bake one hour. Remove foil for last 5-10 minutes.

Took me 1.5 hours to prep (with a lot of pan washing).

8 oz serving: 286 calories, 21.4 G protein

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

SkinnyNikki7
on 7/28/18 10:54 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

I go on Pinterest all the time and type in VSG recipes and so many good ones come up. I make one and it usually lasts me at least a week but if you need to switch it up make a couple recipes and then just rotate them every day so your not bored. Food prepping is exhausting to me but I have to do it or I will eat off plan. Good luck!

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/18 5:34 pm

I never grow tired of beef chili.... I make the MCCormick one in the little packet. Been making it since early out my first year and still make it now 10 years out. Satisfying and good protein.

Dcgirl
on 7/30/18 10:15 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I didn't lose my weight eating a ketogenic diet, by any means, but I kept my carbs below 30 g (max 50 g****il I reached goal. Our bodies don't need pasta or potatoes or cream of wheat...they need protein. I ate high protein and didn't worry about having a side dish. I mean, when you can eat 3 or 4 oz of food at a time in those first few months, why fill that space with apples or broccoli or potato. Honestly, stick with the protein and you will be good. I tend to get overwhelmed with pinterest recipes that call for 12 ingredients - especially when I was cooking for one! I find that 2 or 3 ingredient meals are easy to prep and taste delicious. Also, I used to cook up a 1 lb package of ground turkey and divide it into 4 or 5 tupperware containers. That way, I didn't get tired of the same flavor and I could make one into a "mexican" flavor by adding taco seasoning and green chilies and shredded cheese or one into "italian" by adding a little tomato sauce and some mozzarella.

My typical meals for the first almost year were:

Shrimp sautéed in pesto sauce

Ground turkey in marinara sauce

Ground turkey in taco seasoning with cheese and sour cream

Trader Joe's balsamic chicken strips with goat cheese

Honey roasted deli turkey with a slice of munster cheese

Chicken breast in some sort of sauce

Baked tilapia (or other white flaky fish) with lemon and olive oil and greek seasoning

"pizza" with a crust made from cauliflower and parmesan cheese

Chili made with ground turkey, onions, green and red peppers, garlic, jalapeño, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili seasoning (great crockpot meal!)

Snacks were:

Deli cheese

Turkey pepperoni nuked into crispy good things

Bacon

Eggs - either hard-boiled or scrambled or fried

Pickles

For the first year I didn't love having food first thing. I had a Chike high protein iced coffee protein shake (from Amazon) every single day for breakfast for a good year. Now I never have shakes, only real food (and I still prioritize dense protein). I never bought into the whole "breakfast has to be eggs" thing. I would eat chicken breast for breakfast - and I still do.

Shannon S.
on 7/31/18 5:47 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Must be common. I find food hit or miss. Mostly miss. My favorites are Greek yogurt, half sandwiches, and then for dinner anything meat and vegetably.

I've been trying different stuff. I made oxtail stew the other day and that was awesome. Another day last week I took seasoned chicken breast sliced in half, rolled it with a slice of ham and havarti cheese, tacked it together with a tooth pick and baked it. I made some hollandaise sauce, and drizzled that over it.

Kabobs on the grille turned out good with shrimp and vegetables. Another recent meal was a fried rice with scallops, shrimps, and vegetables. Scallops are a pretty good source of protein. I had a bite or two of the rice, but that was for the fam mainly.

Salad is good too, but you need less salad and more protein.

Get out of your comfort zone and start experimenting!! Hopefully the icky food feeling will get better for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics