Need some help.

Rads
on 7/5/18 1:32 pm

Hi, I'm 13 days out VSG laparoscopic (6/22/18) I need some help/advice. I'm entirely sure If I should be puree or full liquids only stage. I've been doing liquids only up to about 2 days ago which I started 2 boiled eggs one in morning. The other in the afternoon with liquids only in between. I just had some tuna with light mayo (2oz measured) and I feel like crap now. (guilty) The main thing I suffer from is thirst all the time. I was only drinking about 4oz of water, crystal lite, sometimes 100% fruit juice every hour.

My questions are besides what proper stage I should be on, Have I doomed my vsg due to eating tuna early?

Can I drink water/crystal lite more often to quench thirst?

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 1:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You have not doomed your VSG. So lay that fear to rest!

Your surgeon should have given you a print out with your diet progression. If you don't have this, call your surgeon's office and ask before you try out any other food.

You CAN drink fluids and you should be - although stick to the no-calorie stuff and skip the fruit juice which is liquid sugar. Hydration is your number 1 job and you need at least 64 ounces of fluids a day. (Protein shakes count to this goal.) You can sip steadily throughout the day, except when you're eating (if you're allowed to) and 30 minutes after eating.

If you're thirsty, that means you're dehydrated.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Rads
on 7/5/18 1:52 pm

Thanks, Well I do have a "diet" he gave me. But honestly I think it's bonkers. He had me only doing 3oz of liquid juice every 2 hours with 1 1/2 water every hour in between.... that's it. And quite frankly it's been driving me nuts. (thirst) I've done various google searches and almost every site has a different version of what stages are. (I've lost 40lbs btw since surgery day.) I was 440 lbs now I'm 400 even.

He's a fantastic surgeon as I haven't felt any pain and I feel like the surgery is really working. (I never feel hungry.)

But again my biggest gripe is being able to drink more liquids!

I read somewhere another user by the name of "calking" said that drinking water in between doesn't damage/stretch the stomach. (empty stomach after an hour of eating)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4641914/Can-too-much-w ater-stretch-your-sleeve/action,replies/topic_id,4641914/pag e,1/

I wanted to confirm this if it's true and exactly how much water/crystal lite can I drink? (I've been downing two 4oz cups each hour after waiting one hour meals.

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 2:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Drinking will not stretch your stomach as liquids move through relatively quickly.

But I'm confused because your initial post says you've been drinking 4oz every hour and this says you're doing 8oz every hour and waiting after meals, but what are the "meals" if you think you're still supposed to be on a full liquid diet?

What was the diet progression your surgeon gave you? It should clearly state how long you need to be on liquids and then what type of food you should move to next - pureed foods or soft foods.

A common plan is full liquids for the first 2 weeks with minimum goals of 60 grams of protein and 64 ounces of liquids. This is often accomplished by sipping on protein shakes and no-calorie fluids throughout the entire day.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/6/18 4:12 am

Eating solid foods so early post op can and may damage your sleeve.

The steps are given for a reason. To allow the sleeve to heal. Eating solid foods like eggs or tuna early post op can cause so many bad things I don't even want to start.

Your stomach had been cut and put together with Staples. There is open flesh area. The nerves that can tell you if you full or empty had been cut so unless you severely overeat - you may not know how much damage you cause. Solid foods also can cause more acid to be release by your sleeve, and that in itself can cause more damage to the staple line in your stomach-'sleeve. Imagine a cut on your hand that you start pouring acid on before it has ability to heal. Bad idea.

Drinking liquids does not cause as much damage because they should not stretch the sleeve or stimulate toommuch acid.

As Gwen mentioned- drinking post op has to be prioritie. Don't skip steps. Follow recommend eating steps.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 7/6/18 2:05 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You probably didn't hurt anything at all, but your body is telling you to back off just yet. I was eating soft foods in the hospital on day 4, so docs definitely have different protocols.

This fruit juice thing - just stop ... stop NOW. There is nothing good for you in there and pure natural SUGAR.

You want to hydrate with sugar free options. If you want flavor, do decaf some sweet tea or koolaid with splenda, or add a piece of fruit, lemon, min****ermelon, pineapple, apple to your water. You only need a little bit for a great flavor punch.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

GGRECO
on 7/7/18 3:25 pm
VSG on 06/28/18

Hi there my Surgery was done 6/28 so I'm following you since I will start my phase 2 moist and mushy diet.my Dr says 64 oz daily of calorie free. It includes Chrystal light, diet Snapple etc as long as you follow the 30 minute rule. Tuna is part of phase 3 not now.i think it is too soon for tuna. Feel better

Most Active
Recent Topics