Let's talk about protein...

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 1:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It is more likely that two VSGers who have different surgeons will have different progressions.

Regardless, your implication was that Grim's advice was faulty because he had RNY. His advice boiled down to "if things are problematic, slow down." (My paraphrasing.)

This is good advice for everyone, regardless of their specific surgery and certainly applies to the case of the OP.

It's awesome that you know everything there is to know about all things WLS with your four weeks of experience and your "expert team." If you run up against a food that you're supposed to be able to eat, but can't tolerate, hopefully you'll remember the advice of Grim, the RNYer, and slow down instead of trying to force yourself through it because your "expert team" allows you to.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PCBR
on 7/5/18 1:23 pm

I think that you and Grim are misinterpreting me. And maybe I'm misinterpreting him. You saying "It's awesome that you know everything there is to know about all things WLS with your four weeks of experience" is hurtful. I'm here because I find value in what you vets have to say, and in hearing the experiences of others who are in the same early boat as me. If you look at my posts, you'll see that I contextualize everything with making it clear is is "my experience"--others' experiences vary. And again, I'm talking about the progression of eating plans. Surely, the basics are the same when we get to the "eating in the real world" stage. But the path there looks like it is all over the place.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 1:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

"I'm here because I find value in what you vets have to say, and in hearing the experiences of others who are in the same early boat as me."

Then perhaps it would be wise to stop disparaging the advice actual vets (like Grim) give on the basis of their surgery.

Since it apparently wasn't clear to you the first many times - I was speaking of "progression of eating plans" as well. Variability is more likely to be based on surgeon than on surgery. Grim's advice is sound for diet progression, regardless of surgery type.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Grim_Traveller
on 7/5/18 1:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

That's ok, he's an idiot, but fortunately for me, he's blocked me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 1:34 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Me too - so much for finding value in what vets like you have to say.

rocky513
on 7/5/18 2:22 pm - WI

Blocking someone who may have answers when you have issues is so stupid. You CAN LEARN from people you don't particularly like. Open minds people!!!

Believing you have all the answers at 4 weeks out is foolhardy.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

MissCheri18
on 7/5/18 5:13 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I'm with you Gwen M and Grim and I had VSG, I should have been able to get off my clear last Monday but of course it had to be extended because I drank the wrong thing too fast, I am seriously hopeful I can move to full fluids tomorrow.

BUT I did come home with a VERY set diet from the hospital that has nothing to do with my complications:

first week 1-7 days clear liquid only

2nd week 8-14 days clear and full liquids only

3rd week last 1-2 weeks Pureed diet and you remain on this until you can easily handle these foods, if you have an issue right away go back to weeks 1 and 2 for a few more days,if you have any problems you remove that food for a bit.

ONLY after you have succeeded in the Pureed foods can you start you soft-solids and slowly work to a regular diet.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

PCBR
on 7/5/18 10:18 am

Heya! To clarify..is it "pureed" you're moving to or "soft foods"? My docs differentiate..maybe yours don't. I'm finding lots of differentiation! My pureed stage started 2 weeks post op, my soft foods started yesterday, 4 weeks post op. Low fat deli meats, lean red meats, shrimp, crab, fish and tuna packed in water are all allowed for me at this stage. (Too bad I don't like seafood)

Fresh mozzarella is a good way to sneak in 5g of protein or so---at Trader Joe's, they have it in sticks. I've also seen it packed in little individual ball servings. But if yogurt is problematic, maybe you should take dairy slowly. When I first went to pureed, I tried cottage cheese, but upset my stomach. Two weeks later, I tried again, and it went down just fine.

I've also made simple lentil and chicken stew in the instant pot (chicken breast, red and yellow lentils, chicken or veggie stock and water...could also be done in a slow cooker). This get's everything nice and mushy. The lentils are a pretty good source of combined nutrients (protein, carbs).

I've had trouble getting in all the protein that I need without a shake or two during the day. Even though my nut's info packet says that I have potentially up to cup of space in my sleeve, I feel very full at 4oz. I think protein drinks will be part of the plan for a loooong time.

DescendTheStair
on 7/5/18 3:40 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

My meal plan doesn't have a "pureed". It's Phase 1-4, clear liquids --> full liquids --> soft foods --> regular diet. My soft foods don't include red meats though, but seem to include all other proteins (seafood, chicken, etc) and red meats have been moved to Phase 4 since they categorize them as "problem foods" (meaning they have many post-surg who've had issues tolerating these foods) along with pork and carbs like pasta and bread.

Yogurt isn't so problematic as it just makes a fuss going down. It doesn't hurt, is just a little noisy and now and then feels like it gets "caught" like I tried to eat too much when it was literally me just licking the spoon, hah. I've mostly been using 4oz of milk with a full scoop of protein powder, and tried unflavored protein powder in 24oz of crystal light (which made it milky looking but it wasn't all that terrible...thankfully. Just tasted a little "off". I don't think my nutritionist has actually tried putting unflavored protein powder in all the things she suggested putting it in). She did say, however, that protein shakes will be a long-term thing, which is fine. I've been drinking protein shakes for a good 8 years or so, moreso when I was younger and more active.

36 year old single mom of an awesome geeky teenager

5'3.75" (yes, that extra three-quarter inch is necessary. I'm ALMOST 5'4"!).

June 25th, 2018 VSG with Dr A. Hargroder| HW:291 SW:284 CW:272 GW: 135

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

SkinnyNikki7
on 7/5/18 11:24 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

I used Pinterest a lot to find pureed and soft food recipes! You can definitely put chicken in the blender and add things to make it taste good, like buffalo chicken or taco chicken or chicken salad. Also, did a lot of baked ricotta which I really liked because it reminded me of pizza or pasta but without the bread or noodles. You can make things with ground beef too. You can have tuna and there's the chicken of the sea crab and salmon that are all ground up. Scrambled eggs were also a fav of mine. I also went on theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com because she always has really good recipes or tips on what products to buy.

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

Most Active
Recent Topics