How long after VSG did or can we have alcohol?

catwoman7
on 7/5/18 9:27 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was told to wait at least a year. My first foray into it was when I was almost three years out - I had a glass of champagne for my anniversary and kind of wish I didn't. I was bombed. On one glass. As others have said, not good in a business environment.

Plus rapid weight loss is really tough on your liver, as others have stated. My liver enzymes were abnormally high until I was more than two years out. This is really common after WLS. Adding alcohol on top of that would really tax it.

plus, transfer addictions....

just overall NOT a good idea.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MoniqueW
on 7/5/18 8:50 pm

I Some days I read comments/feedback from this site and I question if I even had bariatric surgery in comparison to some of you. My NUT said a little wine would be fine after just 45 days. I've tried a glass of wine but maybe finished about 2oz. Wine gave me heartburn so I opted then never to drink it again.

Highest Weight = 279lbs.
VSG Surgery Weight = 253 lbs.

Goal Weight = 175 lbs. (5'5)

Current:194

Gwen M.
on 7/6/18 3:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think my plan said 1 year. But I never drank alcohol prior to WLS, so I've never bothered to try it after WLS. Plus, I see the risk of transfer addiction.

But I figure surgeons probably don't feel that they can tell people "NEVER AGAIN" for alcohol, because that would be too great of a deterrent.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PCBR
on 7/6/18 10:15 am

It's true that the variation in pre-op programs and post-op menu progression is wild, if this board is any indication---by program, by surgeon, by nutritionist, by individual. Still, even if the empty calories were not an issue, even if the acidic nature of alcohol wasn't an issue, experimenting with alcohol on a business trip when you don't really know how it will impact you post-WLS is a bad idea. There is high potential to either get sick, to dull their acumen, or to damage their credibility. Why risk it?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/9/18 12:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Not all nutritionists offer appropriate advice. It doesn't take much training to call oneself a nutritionist, so many are woefully ignorant of proper medical advice, especially when it comes to bariatrics.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/dietitian-vs-nutritionis t-the-battle-for-your-health

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 7/6/18 2:12 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

No, No, NOOOOOOO

First of all, you might be an incredibly cheap date. I still get drunk on half a glass. You don't want to be setting the wrong impressions in front of colleagues and customers.

Second - you are just entering a phase of rapid loss. Your liver is being strained the entire time. To add alcohol puts you at risk for permanent liver damage. You shouldn't imbibe until your weight loss slows back down again. This takes about a year...so just don't

Just don't

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

RobbieMcKenney
on 7/9/18 11:32 am

I waited about 4 months to have a glass of wine because of all the horror stories I heard. My surgeon told me I could have some, but only if I were not driving and were supervised. I went on a family retreat and drank wine in the presence of my sister, a nurse. I had two glasses over several hours, with some nibbles during that time. I did not get drunk and my stomach did not hurt. My liver counts have always been good.

Before vsg I would drink a glass or two of wine every couple of weeks, and I am back to the same now (one year out). Just remember to count the calories in your daily count or weight will creep back on.

Most Active
Recent Topics