When did you start coffee/tea/caffeine again?

Teresa G.
on 7/4/18 10:15 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I quit caffeine a few weeks before surgery, per my team's direction it wasn't that hard for me as I never really drank coffee for the caffeine jolt anyway, I just like the taste, especially with an ounce of Premier Protein used for creamer.

My therapist told me about an instant decaf she uses and loves, so I got myself a jar of it. It is SOOOOO good that I probably won't go back to regular.

This is what I get and the cheapest I've found it is at Thrive Market (I love Thrive Market a lot too!)

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

PCBR
on 7/5/18 1:12 pm

Thanks! But I have to admit, I'm in it for the kick :). I gave up caffeine two weeks before surgery at my nut's advice, too. Since I'm not hardcore into it, it wasn't hard at all. I just like the idea of a little protein-y pep in the A.M. to get myself going.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/4/18 10:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I started having coffee again probably about 4 months post-op after asking my surgeon if it was okay. I used to have one cup a day pre-WLS. I now have 4 a day because I crave the stuff. My cravings for fish are since WLS too.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/18 7:12 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Me too for the fish! It's so weird. I always liked seafood well enough, but now I crave it. I could eat fish every meal pretty much.

catwoman7
on 7/5/18 9:21 am
RNY on 06/03/15

surgeons seem to be all over the board on this one. Some say never have it, some say decaf only, some say caffeine is OK after x number of months, some say you can have it right away.

I know I had to wait like six months before I could have caffeinated coffee, and I'm supposed to limit it to 1-2 cups a day. I could have decaf pretty early on - maybe after the first month or so? I can't remember.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/18 1:04 pm

I used decaf coffee to mix with my protein shakes, to limit the sweetness of the shakes.

I used decaff for app 1 year, then started coffee no !off than 1 cup per day in the morning. I drank a lot of green tea and done black tea at the same time as I started coffee. I drank decaff green tea and herbal teas during my weight loss.

Even now - if I drink too much coffee I get acid burn - acid reflux. I need to add something to my coffee to make it less accidic.

I found that cold brewed coffee had much less acid than regular coffee. I often add unsweetened coconut milk to mine instead of cream.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PCBR
on 7/5/18 1:15 pm

Yes..cold brew definitely has a mellower taste. A bigger kick, too, ironically.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/18 1:20 pm

Bigger kick is when you use it concentrate. I brew my cold coffee myself and I either add coconut milk or water and ice.

It is more mello so ypu mayor nitidez realize how strong it is until app 1 hour after drinking. Been there - done that. Learned quickly.

I also cold brewed my decaff coffee to be able to add to some of my drinks. Small amount goes a long way.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PCBR
on 7/5/18 1:16 pm

Well, my head is spinning. Sounds like I should just put it out of my mind for now. At least I'm saving $$$.

Nomanativ
on 7/6/18 11:41 am
VSG on 04/16/18

I'm not quite 3 months out yet, but i drink a cup every now and then. I think everyone's tolerance is different but Ive had no issues with food or drinks at all.

Gotta have my coffee!

Most Active
Recent Topics