Am I doing something wrong?

KingRQ
on 6/17/18 7:30 pm
VSG on 10/06/18

Hi All!

I wish everyone is doing great.

I has my surgery done 7 to 8 days ago and I transitioned into the full liquids stage.

I had a few questions and I wish you guys can help and give me your feedback

1. About me drinking so much liquids it's been a lot (I think) just today I was able to drink a lot of miso soup and water and also my protein shake along with a milkshake of banana and another with berries. Milkshakes are all skimmed and everything I have is sugar free and so on. Am I drinking too much liquids, is that possible?
  2. I was able to sleep on my belly yesterday, is that okay?
  3. I had the urge to chew certain food and spit it out, I needed to let go of the sensation I was feeling and the urge to chew something. That's wrong?
  4. How do I know if I have a leakage from my sleeve?

jenorama
on 6/17/18 9:35 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Well, hyponatremia is a real thing, so yes, you can have too much liquid, but you're not in any danger of that happening. Were you uncomfortable on your belly? If not, then no problem. Chewing food and spitting it out is a sign of disordered eating. Do not do this. Are you in excruciating abdominal pain? If not, you don't have a leak.

You're doing fine. Take it easy and stick to your plan. :D

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 6/18/18 2:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You aren't drinking too much. But stop with the milkshakes, skim or otherwise. It's just crappy, unnecessary calories. No bananas. They are just sugar. Drink your protein shake, but don't drink a single calorie beyond that.

If your sleeve were leaking, you'd be back in the hospital by now.

Chewing food and spitting it out us a serious eating disorder. If those thoughts persist, you should talk them over with a therapist.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TheWombat
on 6/18/18 3:03 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Chewing food and spitting it out is a sign of an eating disorder. However, it's common for people on a liquid or soft foods diet to miss chewing. So I don't think that it's a bad sign that you have the urge to chew food and spit it out. The people with that eating disorder are spitting out the food in order to reduce the number of calories they take in. You, I presume, only want to spit out the food in order to protect your stomach. I don't recommend that you do the chewing and spitting out thing, but the fact that you have a desire to do so at the moment isn't abnormal.

Do your milkshakes contain ice cream? If not, they probably aren't a healthy option. But if they're just fruit and skim milk, they may be a good choice. Some people are anti-banana, but my dietician isn't one of them. For me, bananas are the easiest way to keep my bowels moving regularly. Discuss it with your dietician.

At this point, you should be feeling a little better every day. If you get gradually worse, I'd contact your health care team; it might be a leak or it might be something else.

hollykim
on 6/18/18 2:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, TheWombat wrote:

Chewing food and spitting it out is a sign of an eating disorder. However, it's common for people on a liquid or soft foods diet to miss chewing. So I don't think that it's a bad sign that you have the urge to chew food and spit it out. The people with that eating disorder are spitting out the food in order to reduce the number of calories they take in. You, I presume, only want to spit out the food in order to protect your stomach. I don't recommend that you do the chewing and spitting out thing, but the fact that you have a desire to do so at the moment isn't abnormal.

Do your milkshakes contain ice cream? If not, they probably aren't a healthy option. But if they're just fruit and skim milk, they may be a good choice. Some people are anti-banana, but my dietician isn't one of them. For me, bananas are the easiest way to keep my bowels moving regularly. Discuss it with your dietician.

At this point, you should be feeling a little better every day. If you get gradually worse, I'd contact your health care team; it might be a leak or it might be something else.

chewing and spitting out food is disordered eating,no matter the reason it is done. Please don't encourage ppl to have disordered eating habits.

TheWombat
on 6/21/18 4:12 am
VSG on 06/11/18

In my post I said "I don't recommend that you do the chewing and spitting out thing". Maybe you didn't see the "don't"?

hollykim
on 6/21/18 5:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 21, 2018 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, TheWombat wrote:

In my post I said "I don't recommend that you do the chewing and spitting out thing". Maybe you didn't see the "don't"?

I did see that but what you said is that "screwing and spitting is not abnormal" and that is incorrect. Any disordered eating is abnormal.

Your post sounds like you are saying it is ok to do this because one is craving chewing and it is not ok.

TheWombat
on 6/21/18 1:36 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

No, I only said that the desire to do so when one can't have solid food is not abnormal.

Gwen M.
on 6/18/18 10:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your milkshakes are laden with sugar - cut them out of your diet. Stick to protein liquids. (Fruit = sugar.)

If you can sleep on your stomach, it's fine.

Yes - chewing and spitting things out is disordered eating behavior. Try not to fall into that. If you need to chew, try sugar free popsicles?

Your surgeon should have told you signs of leakage. High fever, redness, etc.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/18/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your post-op food and shake choices should have at least 10g protein per 100 calories, and you should try to shoot for under 25g carbs per day. Banana and berry milkshakes-- especially if it's an "actual" milkshake with ice cream-- do NOT follow those guidelines. Stick to protein shakes.

As others have mentioned, chewing and spitting is disordered eating. If you really need to chew something, try shaved ice. But honestly, "food for emotional fulfillment" is a habit best dropped early.

If you had a sleeve leakage, you would be in terrible pain. The acid from your stomach would go leaking out through your abdominal cavity. Most surgeons do a leak test before sending you home, so unless you've been eating nachos, you should be fine. If you're concerned, though, call your surgeon.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics