New here, Few months Pre-op

Mrs.Panda
on 6/1/18 5:20 am

Hi everyone! I've been following along for about a month now and thought I should introduce myself. I'm a 30F, 5'8" and about 260. I am almost done with all pre-op requirements, just got my swallow study scheduled for early July and then its just an EKG! I am hoping to be able to book for late August/early September. Figure I should probably start being accountable for my food now and will start posting on the daily thread. Any advice, warnings, or help of any kind would be appreciated!

Teresa G.
on 6/1/18 7:42 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Welcome Mrs. Panda!

I think my advice as you begin to prepare for your surgery is to cut out processed foods and sugar. You'll feel crappy for a few days but after that you'll start feeling better and better.

A book I found really helpful is Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss.

When I quit smoking I started researching the tobacco industry, and reading about all the different things they do to hook people (increasing the amount of nicotine, giving cigarettes away in third world countries, spending God knows how much on lobbying, etc.) and it pissed me off enough that I absolutely REFUSED to give them another dime of my money. That was over 10 years ago, after being a pack-and-a-half a day smoker for over 35 years.

The book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us affected me the same way. Unfortunately, I can't give up food completely, but I CAN give up the processed crap and sugar (read about what they have also done to the detriment of the health of American people) What I "try" to do (and I have failed at it many times) is cook all our own food from scratch, and only shop along the outside aisles of the grocery store (except for the side where the bakery and booze are LOL)

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Mrs.Panda
on 6/1/18 8:01 pm

Thanks. I think you're right about cutting out the crap now. I am definitely trying to make healthier choices but still need to work on my carb intake. I don't want to "detox" after surgery and feel doubly like crap. I'm gonna start tracking in my fitness pal again even if I don't like what I write. Thanks for responding, I know I'll be here a lot after surgery and appreciate the support!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 9:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Welcome to the boards!

One important habit is to log all of your food, including things like nibbles, tastes, condiments, etc. MyFitnessPal is a good place for that.

Also start drinking lots of water! It's a good habit in general, and especially important as a post-op.

Do your best to cut back on carbs now. While losing, you're going to be eating mostly lean, dense protein and sometimes a few bites of veg if you have room. So you can start on that diet now!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mrs.Panda
on 6/1/18 8:04 pm

Thanks I will definitely start tracking. I'm ok with my water unless I'm at work :/ I know parting with my carbs will be hard but know it will be easier if I start now so I'm gonna start phasing them out. Thanks for the support, I'm sure I'll have tons more questions before and after the big day ?

Most Active
Recent Topics