What clear protein drinks do you like?

PCBR
on 5/30/18 9:02 pm

I'm getting scared by amazon reviews of isopure, premier protein and syntax. Also, where do you like to buy the clear stuff? Amazon seems overpriced. Any advice appreciated. Tia!

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/18 8:04 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Sam's Club for clear premier protein in fruit punch flavor. I water them down if I use them since they have a slightly thicker consistency.

PCBR
on 6/4/18 1:01 pm

Thanks! Watering them down was a good tip. The taste is sweet but not awful. The weird feeling in your mouth after is not like anything I've experienced before--kinda ick but much better with water mixed in.

Teresa G.
on 5/31/18 7:59 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I just finished a Protein2o mixed berry drink...15 grams of protein and 60 calories. It was SO good!

Got it at Safeway. It was a little spendy...I need to find a better price for it.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

PCBR
on 6/1/18 3:34 pm

Oh, I haven't see that one. Thanks!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 11:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Protein drinks are never going to taste like Kool-Aid. There's always going to be a bit of a funky taste to them because of the protein.

I like the Syntrax Nectar. There are several places online that sell sampler packs that let you try a bunch of different flavors, like this. That way you can pick a flavor you like before committing to a $40 tub of powder.

https://www.smartbodynutrition.com/syntrax-nectar-protein-va riety-pack.html

Make sure not to stock up on anything until you actually have surgery. Many of us find that our tastes changed a LOT post-op, and something we liked before surgery ended up being gross.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PCBR
on 6/1/18 1:46 pm

Well that's a relief that they don't taste like Kool-Aid, because tasting like Kool-Aid was actually my fear of what they'd taste like. My most consistently healthy behavior over the past couple of decades has been drinking pretty much jus****er, tea and coffee--no soda, no juice (if only I'd had such strength when it came to da foods!!). Drinking sweet drinks is what I'm having to get used to, because yeah, it does seem like they put strong flavoring to mask the protein. I took your advice and ordered myself the Syntrax variety pack--Thank you! I also found in a grocery outlet store a random drink called "Cocotein". I only purchased one bottle, and have not had the courage to try it (maybe I will when I'm on just clear liquids come Monday). Hopefully it doesn't taste like sunscreen. I'll report back if it's delicious.

And thank you so much for the advice about not stocking up! I think I may have overbought in my effort to try different things. I'm really curious what my palette will be like post-surgery. What was your biggest change?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 4:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The Cocotein looks interesting! I wouldn't recommend it during the weight loss phase, though, as it's 100 calories per bottle. You'll want to stick to 600 - 800g calories to lose weight, and ideally that'll all come from dense protein. But for now, it might be a good choice!

Have you tried any of the milk-based protein drinks? Some people tolerate those better because it's more like drinking chocolate milk. Some people use it as creamer in their coffee and it seems to work well for them!

Personally, I didn't have too many taste changes. I hated milky protein drinks before, I hated them (maybe a little bit more) afterwards. I got through the liquid phase by using a cup with a lid and straw; not having to smell the protein drinks made them a bit more bearable!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PCBR
on 6/4/18 1:08 pm

I've tried and like Premier Protein chocolate, banana and vanilla (don't love the vanilla, but not terrible). EAS Carb Control is good and really good at providing satiety even at 100cals. I've tried two vanilla low carb muscle milk varieties and find it really way too sweet.

I figure I only really need to do the "clear" stuff for 3 days (day before surgery and day after). Then again, maybe I'll love and want the clear stuff after surgery. All I All, I'm looking forward to getting to the stage where I can get most protein from food sources and just use shakes and drinks to fill in gaps.

Shannon S.
on 6/3/18 5:30 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I used isopure for awhile. All flavors are decent. They are not super delicious, but they are tolerable in my opinion. They are however expensive at 40 bucks a 12 pack.

Most Active
Recent Topics