Debbie Downers

Teresa G.
on 6/1/18 11:51 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with
On June 1, 2018 at 3:30 PM Pacific Time, Agran wrote:

Dear TessieLoo

please remember that the people on this site are sharing their wisdom free, taking their valuable personal time to help those of us who have not had the experiences that they have had.

You don't have to agree with everyone's opinions, just like in life, but be appreciative of them being willing to share. I have gained so much from them and am grateful everyday for their opinions.

Good luck with your surgery.

Thank you Agran.

I'm definitely over-sensitive right now...I've been barking at my husband too.

I'm now on day 9 of my 14-day pre-op diet. Haven't deviated off it at all.

I'm feeling a bit twitchy.

Thanks again.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

crqvingchange
on 6/1/18 2:00 pm

Tessie, I'm glad that you are open-minded enough to listen to Agran. The vets on this site are generous of spirit and their time and genuinely want people to succeed. They seldom hand hold or stroke egos. They factually present research, or relate their own experiences or the ones of others that have posted on here. If they were more warm and fuzzy it wouldn't make it any easier to hear the hard lessons that they have learned and witnessed. Seeing their reality and that of others may help you avoid the pitfalls and not have to experience them first hand in your journey. I'm not a vet, but one day I hope to be and that is why I pay it forward when I can.

Remember losing weight can result in a hormone dump, and you might be experiencing that right now.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Teresa G.
on 6/1/18 8:05 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with
On June 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, crqvingchange wrote:

Tessie, I'm glad that you are open-minded enough to listen to Agran. The vets on this site are generous of spirit and their time and genuinely want people to succeed. They seldom hand hold or stroke egos. They factually present research, or relate their own experiences or the ones of others that have posted on here. If they were more warm and fuzzy it wouldn't make it any easier to hear the hard lessons that they have learned and witnessed. Seeing their reality and that of others may help you avoid the pitfalls and not have to experience them first hand in your journey. I'm not a vet, but one day I hope to be and that is why I pay it forward when I can.

Remember losing weight can result in a hormone dump, and you might be experiencing that right now.

Lordie. I'm post-menopausal. Pre-menopause just about did us all in.

I don't want no stinkin' hormones! LOL

I've lost 40 lbs since Jan 1, and now with the pre-op diet, I'm feeling a bit snarly.

This too shall pass...

Teresa (WA State)

Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Agran
on 6/1/18 5:33 pm

I can certainly sympathize with how difficult these days are for you. I was fortunate that I didn't have to go through a pre- op diet with my surgery as I went private but maybe it would have been helpful for me.

I am almost a year out and am so glad I made this decision. Each day is a new adventure and I keep finding bones I never had LOL.

Cant wait to hear about all your experiences. Have a wonderful day.

VSGAnn2014
on 6/1/18 3:51 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Ok, so back to Tessie's clothes topic. Here's my take nearly 4 years post-op after VSG surgery.

1. Yes, get rid of the fat clothes--the ones you were wearing pre-op and while you are losing the first half of your excess weight.

2. Lose the rest of your excess weight and reach your weight loss goal.

3. Stabilize there.

4. REALLY stabilize there. :) Learn how to live and lead a lifestyle that will support your new weight.

5. Gradually acquire a new wardrobe that works for your new lifestyle and your changing self image and fashion/style sense.

6. Get rid of the other clothes that are now really too big for you. This may take a while as your confidence to maintain at a lower weight grows.

7. Jettison the idea of "automatic bounceback." Yes, some people gain weight for a variety of reasons. And yes, some people lose weight again. Might be 5 pounds, might be 50 or 100 pounds. But in most instances the regain is not caused by WLS metabolic black magic, but eating too much. It may take a while to figure out how to resolve those issues. Every patient's issues are not the same.

The above thoughts are my own, based on my personal experience AND from reading and hearing about hundreds, maybe thousands of other WLS patients' experiences.

Several people here rub me the wrong way, but most don't. Ignore the ones who are rude when they're rude. Most people aren't. And do feel confident about using the ignore function here. I do occasionally.

Also, no one here is right all the time. Including me. :)

T.G.I.F. :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/18 5:53 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

This is it right here. Bounce is a polite way of saying regain. This is not derogatory, but just an observation. I am 2 lbs above my lowest weight ever post surgery. It was probably due to dehydration. Whatever. Regain is regain, whatever the reason. Track your calories, exercise, and keep in touch with what you are doing and you will succeed.

Teresa G.
on 6/1/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Thank you Anne.

That's exactly what I needed/wanted to hear.

Big virtual hugs to you!

Teresa (WA State)

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 11:19 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Sometimes it's not any particular post that frustrates me, but the pile-on. After 4 or 5 people have said given the same piece of advice, more people saying the same thing, whether or not I agree with it, can feel like I'm being lectured. But I try to remember that each person who posts is taking time out of their day to offer me their help.

Most Active
Recent Topics