Debbie Downers

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/18 1:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You're right, some people DO need to work on their delivery.

"I'm sorry they gained 25-30 lbs back. [But not really, because they're mean, and that could NEVER EVER happen to me because I'm amazing and think positively.]"

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/30/18 6:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Her kid will only eat veggies? Only???!!

What kind of psychopaths do you hang out with?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/31/18 7:26 am

Kat, don't forget about fat redistribution after year 1 or 2.

2 years post op my face looked much better , but my clothes needed to change.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/30/18 11:50 am

Why are there so many *****fuse to heed good advice, convinced they will always live perfectly?

I went for six years maintaining easily. Then my portions crept and I started back with emotional eating, so I have regained 15 pounds. Statistically, I am still considered a WLS success. I am struggling with some other issues, so I have the oomph to keep from gaining more, but not to lose right now.

Diet fatigue happens, as does carb and portion creep. There is no inherent magic in surgery.

Maybe instead of thinking everyone is being horribly mean to you, listen to what is said.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ladygodiva1228
on 5/30/18 11:50 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 30, 2018 at 3:31 PM Pacific Time, TessieLoo wrote:

Why are there so many negative people in this site, specifically in the General Discussion Forum.

I posted something about getting rid of clothes as soon as they're too big, and now some are saying that I should keep some boxed up in a closet because I'll gain some back.

I am NOT keeping fat clothes in reserve. I'm sorry they gained 25-30 lbs back.

BUT, if my clothes (once I'm at maintenance) start getting too tight, then it will motivate me to buckle down and get them comfortable again if I have nothing in reserve. I've had bigger clothes in reserve all my life and it's far too easy to pull them out if my pants get a little too tight around the waist.

They are not negative, they just don't spew rainbows and unicorn farts like some folks like to hear.

Those who are saying not to get rid of all your big clothes are right. You don't have to keep every single thing, but it is wise to keep some. What happens if your surgery has to be postponed for months or you end up having to have some sort of other surgery not long after your WLS and you end up with no clothes to wear or you have to go out and buy new things that you will only wear once or twice?

Bounce back weight is a real thing and different from regain. I have seen over the years how so many people fall back into there bad habits and end up gaining all their weight back or at least an extra 20-30lbs after their 15 bounce back gain.

The further one is out from surgery the harder it gets to lose weight. People get discouraged because it is so easy the first 6 months to a year and then they have to really buckle down to get the extra weight off. Some hate that they have to eat dense protein only and 800 or so calories to lose any weight.

So in short instead of whining and complaining about what people are saying maybe listen to them since several of them are over 5 years out from surgery.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Teresa G.
on 5/30/18 11:55 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with
On May 30, 2018 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

Why are there so many negative people in this site, specifically in the General Discussion Forum.

I posted something about getting rid of clothes as soon as they're too big, and now some are saying that I should keep some boxed up in a closet because I'll gain some back.

BUT, if my clothes (once I'm at maintenance) start getting too tight, then it will motivate me to buckle down and get them comfortable again if I have nothing in reserve. I've had bigger clothes in reserve all my life and it's far too easy to pull them out if my pants get a little too tight around the waist.

They are not negative, they just don't spew rainbows and unicorn farts like some folks like to hear.

Those who are saying not to get rid of all your big clothes are right. You don't have to keep every single thing, but it is wise to keep some. What happens if your surgery has to be postponed for months or you end up having to have some sort of other surgery not long after your WLS and you end up with no clothes to wear or you have to go out and buy new things that you will only wear once or twice?

Bounce back weight is a real thing and different from regain. I have seen over the years how so many people fall back into there bad habits and end up gaining all their weight back or at least an extra 20-30lbs after their 15 bounce back gain.

The further one is out from surgery the harder it gets to lose weight. People get discouraged because it is so easy the first 6 months to a year and then they have to really buckle down to get the extra weight off. Some hate that they have to eat dense protein only and 800 or so calories to lose any weight.

So in short instead of whining and complaining about what people are saying maybe listen to them since several of them are over 5 years out from surgery.

"Rainbows", "unicorns", "whining" and "complaining".

Real nice.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

ladygodiva1228
on 5/30/18 12:17 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, TessieLoo wrote:
On May 30, 2018 at 6:50 PM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

"Rainbows", "unicorns", "whining" and "complaining".

Real nice.

It is nice because it is the truth.

You posted on one board about something and didn't get the responses you wanted. So you posted in the VSG board basically complaining that you didn't get the responses you clearly were looking for as you stated "Why are there so many negative people on this site" . To me and others who have been on these boards for over 10 years that means you want people to give you the ole "atta girl" and "back patting" even when you aren't making wise or correct decisions.

It's your journey not mine. Do what you want, but don't turn around an blame others when things don't go the way they should and it happens more often than you think.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

MissCheri18
on 5/30/18 12:00 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I'm with you on this one! I mean they are saying to save your 18 plus sizes, seriously? We are not talking about a small size change, that would be a major gain back. I am NOT saving those clothes! Some say well you can gain 5 lbs. and go from a 4-6 to say an 8, OK understand that but how many of them still are hanging onto their 24's other than one as an example as to how far they came? Nope, I am donating mine.

Teresa G.
on 5/30/18 12:05 pm, edited 5/30/18 5:08 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I'm still wearing 18-20!

I got rid of my 22's and up, except for, like you, one pair of pants and one shirt so I can pull them out and remember where I was at the beginning of this year.

When I'm in 10's and lower, then it will be different, because as someone said, as little as 5 lbs can take you up a size. But with the crazy variations in sizing these days, I'll just have small 10's and big 10's.

Heck, I'll be thrilled to be in a 12!

But I think they're saying to not get rid of the 10's if I get into an 8. Which makes perfect sense if 5 lbs will take you up a size.

Again, it's all in the delivery.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/30/18 7:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, MissCheri18 wrote:

I'm with you on this one! I mean they are saying to save your 18 plus sizes, seriously? We are not talking about a small size change, that would be a major gain back. I am NOT saving those clothes! Some say well you can gain 5 lbs. and go from a 4-6 to say an 8, OK understand that but how many of them still are hanging onto their 24's other than one as an example as to how far they came? Nope, I am donating mine.

No one said that. Not even close. The exact advice was:

"It is fine to get rid of your largest clothes, but once you start to get close to your goal weight, put the clothes in a box in a closet instead of getting rid of them. Trust me, it will save you money having to buy new clothes in a larger size later. MANY people who are very successful with their weight loss find themselves in emotional o physical cir****tances where they regain 20 or 30 pounds (and that can mean having to go up 2 or even 3 sizes in clothing, even if temporarily)."

That's really good, sound advice, meant to be helpful. There is nothing remotely mean or snarky in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics