Stall

califsleevin
on 4/20/18 5:53 pm - CA

The "I can't give that up" aspect is a concern, as some note, if you are speaking in terms of chips and Twinkies - that is a red flag, as those are hard to do "in moderation". If, on the other hand, you are speaking of maintaining reasonable dietary balance and variety within appropriate caloric limits, that is a green flag and to be applauded.

I worked hard on adopting sane and healthy dietary habits while my wife was going through her WLS adventure and had worked into a reasonable WLS maintenance lifestyle for several years - I didn't lose much more after the initial loss of about a third of my excess weight but I didn't regain either, so I wasn't about to give up those fundamentally good habits in the name of whatever diet was trendy at the time of my surgery. I basically became carbohydrate and fat agnostic, and concerned myself with overall nutrition instead.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 11:03 pm, edited 4/20/18 4:05 pm

Love love love what you said cause that what I hoped for. Regarding my diet, of course big no to twinkies, candies, chips or crackers.

I meant by carbs just a small piece of bread or two tbs of rice or pasta or potatoes. By the fat, I meant that in olive oil, gouda or edam or cheddar cheese cause they have fat. I may snack on five raw almond nuts

I thought I am having a balanced diet when I focus on protein and veggies and include some of the above mentioned carbs and fats too but the guys here said it all.

I will work on eliminating carbs and fats to save my vsg surgery I really dont want it to go wrong. I had too much suffering post op emotionally and physically and I dont want all that to be wasted in vain. I hope I can make use of the rest of the honeymoon and lose more weight. @Califsleevin

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/18 8:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

No bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes. The portions will creep up. They just will. And you'll go from having something simple to heaping more and more stuff on top. It's not the lettuce in the salad that will get you, it's the 1500 calories of crap you put on top.

Portions always creep up. For all of us, that is the nearest thing to certainty as death and taxes. It's how we all got here.

Things like cheese and nuts CAN be a good snack. Except that those five raw almond nuts you are counting out will turn into a whole heaping pile of them before you know it. We can eat a billion calories of cheese and nuts in a day, even with the world's tiniest stomach.

It's a popular refrain here that "everybody is different." They're not. Not at all, really. We all have done the same things to ourselves. The people that do all sorts of things "in moderation" can get away with it for a few months, or a few years. But not forever. It will bite them on the ass. You have a better chance of hitting it big in the lottery as being one of the few that it won't come back to haunt.

You are barely into this, and still have a lot to lose. The more you struggle now, the easier it will be to say "screw it," and give up. I never touched a bite of bread, crackers, rice, pasta or potatoes until I was 60 pounds pasat the goal my surgeon set for me. I haven't touched rice or pasta in almost 6 years. Those things are just a slippery slope. They have no nutritional value beyond wasted calories.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Perlahowl
on 4/21/18 8:49 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this valuable information. It really sounds reasonable. I plan to benefit from all your tips and stay away from all carbs and slider foods. Many thanks

Gwen M.
on 4/20/18 6:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you aren't already, I recommend that you start weighing and tracking everything you put in your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. That will show you what you're currently consuming and the only way you can know what to change and how to change it is by having accurate data to make those decisions.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CJ On Orcas
on 4/20/18 8:54 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Lot of people have posted already. I will just add my clarification...

I try to follow a low carb eating plan. Not because it is a craze. Because when I eat:

potatoes, noodles, rice, white bread, crackers, cookies, candy, cake, even fruit,

I get hungry within an hour. Every time. Every. Single. Time.

When I exclude those from my diet I stay full for quite a while. I do eat carbs. Thy come in the form of dairy... greek yogurt, Fairlife milk, cheese, and sometimes Dave's thin sliced seed bread because I love bread. But it will be one slice. And even then I really want another. So I limit it.

I track what I eat. I do best if I write it down before I eat it, called planning. I lose when I do this and stay below the number of calories required for maintenance... for me this is about 1,000 calories per day.

Don't let anyone convince you that you can eat what you want right now. You had major surgery to help you get in control of your eating. It feels so good to do it.

And I wish you great success.

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 10:46 pm

Thank you for sharing that with me, will try to follow your steps ?

cc583
on 4/21/18 1:18 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Ditto to what Cjonorcas said!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Most Active
Recent Topics