Stall

CC C.
on 4/20/18 11:20 am

I think the hard part is, not everyone loses weight eating the same things. Some can eat more carbs than others and be successful. Some come to a screeching halt eating a pretty low amount of carbs. I don't think anyone here will knock you on the fat intake. But carb reduction seems to be a pretty consistently effective way to start up losing again.

Whatever you choose, make sure you are weighing and tracking every bite you take so you can see whether certain changes to your diet help or hurt your loss. But at 2 months, it's too early to stop like this so something has to change: Your total calories or your calorie makeup.

Good luck to you! I hope you find what works for you soon!

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 11:59 am

Thank you so much for your wishes and encouragement. I will work on reducing my carb intake hopefully I will continue lose extra weight.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/18 1:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Calorie deficit is the be-all-end-all for weight loss. If OP eats the same number of calories, but with a different mix of protein/carb/fat, she will not lose.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 4/20/18 12:50 pm

You're coming to a point where you will have to make a choice. Meaning you'll need to give up a decent portion of your carbs, or give up your chance to get to goal. The two cannot coexist if maximum weight loss immediately post op is the goal.

Additionally, 800 calories is a lot of calories for someone only two months out. Lots of folks are still in the 300-400 calorie range at that point. If you'll pare down some of your carbs your calories will drop into a range where you are maximizing your honeymoon period. You can always experiment more with carbs after you get the weight off.

How is your nausea by the way? Hopefully much better? Because that is a miserable state of being for sure and I'd like to think you'd at last gotten that behind you.

You can do all of this; a lot is trial and error. Following those who have been successful is an easy way to chart your course. All of us have made mistakes and such so we try to give others a heads up when we see them headed into difficulties.

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 2:31 pm

Thanks again for your support and clearing things out to me. I will try hard to make the best of the remaining of the honeymoon period

Travelher
on 4/29/18 10:00 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Absolutely not true on your first two points as my ticker evidences.

Healthy balanced eating can get you to a healthy weight as well. I was at 800 calories at 2 months out and 900 by 3.

There is more than one way to do this. The key is healthy food choices, avoiding processed crap and keeping calories reasonable.

Everyone is different and some are more carb sensitive than others...but to claim the only way to get to goal is do do low carb is a total fallacy there are entire countries of bariatric patients who's doctors don't subscribe to low carb diets and they have patients who get to goal.

Glad you are enjoying low carb and it works for you. But is is not the only way,

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Amy R.
on 4/29/18 11:16 am

I'm not sure who you're sniping at, but I'm assuming it's me. Not quite sure I understand why, but I'll re-iterate my points. Maybe I can use some simpler/easier words this time.

First, you are less than two years out. I am almost ten. I'd be very interested seeing you post - if you post at all - when life gets real in another few years.

You can look back on any of my posts here over the last decade and see pretty much right away that I am not a "low-carb" eater. My body doesn't do well with that and in spite of what you somehow misunderstood from my post here, I don't believe that low-carb is the only way to go. Or that it's even the best way. Everyone will find their own balance. Most of us can even do it without raking other members over the coals for post that they cannot understand.

What I do think is that if someone is two months out and has stopped losing one of two things have happened. They are most likely in a protracted stall if they are eating according to their surgeon's food plans. But. If they admit to eating carbs and make a statement to the effect that they can't or won't give them up there is likely a more complex dynamic in play.

What you were doing at two months AND what I was doing at two months isnt' really relevant. I referenced that number of calories as being high in month two because in most cases it is. There are long-term postops here that eat approx. 950 calories a day to maintain. What does that mean for someone who is at 800 calories already (at only month two)?

My suggestion was that she work on ditching the carbs (or some of them) that she feels she can't live without and try to find a way to maintain satiety with more protein forward foods. If she were to give that a shot she might see that she's less "hungry" and that the weight starts dropping again simply because her calorie count daily would likely be driven downward. I never said no carb. And I will never say it. For some, lower carb can be a help at times and it would have been irresponsible for me not to mention that. You see, unlike others I don't claim to know everything about everything.

Save your two-year-out knowledge for people who are impressed by your success or intimidated by your attitude. Come back (or better yet, stay) and watch for yourself how even your own opinions may evolve over the years.

You might consider blocking me as my opinions are not changed with the winds of whatever trend is out there for newbies. And I won't allow anyone to put words in my mouth, which may become onerous to you.

You get the last word: I feel that's likely very important to you. And regardless, I honestly do wish you continued success with what works for you.

Travelher
on 4/29/18 12:08 pm, edited 4/29/18 5:18 am
Revision on 10/04/16

If you are not a low carb eater I don?t understand telling someone they won?t be successful if they aren?t.

If you reread your post you will see it is written in a way that implies absolutes.

I agree with you that she needs to re-examine her food choices (you?ll see I made recommendations on that)...but would never say one way is the only way..

i totally agree with you that some do better on low carb, some do better on paleo and some do better on balanced macros. Everyone needs to find what works for them. I have friends who are 10 years post ops who never did low carb either. When I ask them the key. It is avoiding processed crap. That bad food choices are what lead to regain. Not blueberries and strawberries and vegetables.

there are people eating bacon and cheese who think they are eating healthy because it is low carb...I guarantee you that in 10 years I will not think that that is healthier than my blueberries and strawberries.

I think we have similar approaches and agree on that...it is just not what you wrote in the above post.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Amy R.
on 4/29/18 1:23 pm

I didn't intend to get into an argument masquerading as a conversation. But I have gone back and re-read the thread to make sure I'm not missing something. I've made several posts throughout and many were in a discussion with califsleevin where we were specifically discussing this low carb/no carb/whatever carb thinking.

So I do understand the confusion in some manner. If I implied I personally was low-carb it was unintentional. I believe I said I was "carb-respectful". The OP asked why she was stalled.

I mentioned two things: 1) 800 calories is a lot to many at only two months out. I didn't even get solid food until week nine.
2) Cutting out carbs was going to be a must if she wants to get to goal. She referenced carbs as something she was not able/wouldn't be giving up.

The devil is in the details, as always. At eight weeks out, most carbs aren't necessary and honestly if maximum weight loss during the first year or two is desired they aren't helpful either. In spite of that I don't remember saying she needed to go zero or ultra low carb. I actually don't believe that so I'm pretty sure that's not what I told her. I believe she has a choice to make at the moment and if she wants to lower her calories to break the stall, losing some carbs would do that. Actually I think I also told her that she would have plenty of time to experiment with carbs after she got to goal.

Admittedly I should have clarified that the "carbs" I was referring to were simple ones: bread, crackers, rice, and such. And obviously anything full of sugar. The carbs in the point califsleevin referenced were avocado and that's not anything that I would concern myself with.

There are a lot of points flying back and forth in this thread. Mine is simply that eating protein first at two months out would provide more satiety, in other words keep her fuller longer. That in itself would reduce calories. Commitment to eating certain carbs at eight weeks only makes it harder to remain satisfied and adds calories. The OP needs to choose. There are only a certain number of calories a person can consume and lose weight. There is also only a certain amount of space in a post-op stomach. I can eat an 800 calorie daily allotment in candy and lose weight if it causes a deficit it calories burned vs calories eaten. I don't know of anyone that would call that healthy though.

Honestly I don't know any other way to word it. What others eat is completely up to them obviously. I offered a couple of things that I know work because the OP asked for advice. And frankly because a complete stall for the whole of month 2 is slightly alarming. If any of my posts came across as carb-militant, it was completely unintentional as I don't even believe that myself.

Travelher
on 4/29/18 1:57 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

As I went back an read your earlier ones I see you and I likely eat the same way. Was just the most recent one that came across as an absolute and therefore more militant.

Philosophically, I think we agree on most things. I'm less alarmed at a stall at 2 months given the huge month 1 loss. Sometimes the bigger the loss the longer the stall.

One thing none of knows is what carbs she isn't willing to give up.

My assumption was the positive assumption that it was the healthy carbs she is not willing to forgo...like the ones I prefer like berries (which i would and did argue with folks) is not the exact same thing as eating a bowl of ice cream. I said right up front I would not eliminate berries from my diet and was told I'd get fat as a result.

Most others are making the assumption it is the crappy carbs she is not willing to give up. It is all in perspective.

And where I agree with everyone is that at 2 months post op when you are the most focused on weight loss and the most driven...not being prepared to give up foods that made you fat is a huge red flag for long term success, because as someone who maintainted for 3.5 years post lap band (pre-complications) maintenance is waaaay harder than losing (but I don't need to tell you that, you already know).

Thanks for clarifying and apologies for not having read the whole thread before responding to your last post.

Most Active
Recent Topics