Stall

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 6:33 am

Hello pals, I had my vsg two months ago. I lost 35 pounds the first month. Then the second month I lost no weight at all just complete stall. I am starting to worry because the stall appeared so early and it is lasting for so long. By the way iam not following a strict diet. I am away from any sweets, sugar, and sodas but I have some carbs and some fats daily and I cant give that up.

I would just love to know can this just be the end of weight loss so early just because I have some carbs and fat in my diet?

CC C.
on 4/20/18 6:35 am

Can you explain "I can't give that up"?

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 6:39 am, edited 4/19/18 11:40 pm

I explained to my surgeon before the surgery that I cannot eliminate carbs and fats from my diet and he replied that I can still have them after vsg in small amounts as the surgery already restricts the portions and thats what happened later.

Yes, I do have some carbs and fats daily but in small amounts and with NO comparison to my old diet before surgery.

As instructed by my doc I focus on protein, veggies, fruits. But I also have some carbs and fat like that in cheese or olive oil.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/18 10:17 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Well, it seems you have your answer: you can eat anything you desire -- but your weight loss will reflect it.

You may be eating less than you did before, but it's not enough of a deficit to lose weight.

Not being able to eliminate carbs after WLS is akin to not being able to give up alcohol after a liver transplant.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/18 8:58 am, edited 4/20/18 1:58 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Yes, it is possible to not lose any more weight if you are not restricting your eating in any way. Unfortunately weight loss is a lot of work even after VSG. There are a few ways to continue to lose:

• Count calories by logging your food into MyFitnessPal and stay under 800 per day. Eat whatever you want as long as you meticulously track every calorie.

or

• Don?t count calories but count carbs and stay under 20g net carb per day.

or

• Don?t count carbs or calories but count protein and get at least 70g solid protein (not including shakes or bars) per day. Eat protein first and eat only 3 times per day in order for this method to work.

Or

• Eat whatever you want but only eat 1 meal per day that only lasts up to 30min

There are lots of options for restricting your food intake and continuing to lose weight. Unfortunately you can?t rely on VSG to do most of the work. You can do this!

Perlahowl
on 4/20/18 9:02 am

Thank you so much for your support. I will try to abide by ur advice ?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/18 10:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I very strongly disagree with your suggestions. The third one in particular seems like a Very Bad Idea.

For each of these three, I foresee it being very difficult to appropriately meet calorie/protein/carb requirements.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/18 10:54 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I would argue that when one is obese, there are no calorie or carb requirements and protein requirements only until one is done healing from surgery. I know you disagree and that's ok.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/18 10:55 am, edited 4/20/18 3:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

No calorie deficit = no weight loss. That's science, and hard to disagree with :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/18 10:56 am
VSG on 03/28/17

True - I thought you meant calorie requirements as in getting enough calories!

Most Active
Recent Topics