In the hospital right now, question??

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/22/18 10:49 am, edited 2/22/18 2:49 am

Apple juice and cream of wheat can set people up for reactive hypoglycemia. Additionally, those things slow weight loss and can make it really tough for people to get in their protein when valuable pouch space is being taken up with carby old cream of wheat and the like.

Nutritionists routinely give absolutely terrible advice, as do you.

spelling edit

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

califsleevin
on 2/22/18 1:11 pm - CA

RH tends to be more of a bypass problem owing to the lack of pyloric valve, so one should adjust things appropriately. Protein is the emphasis with all of the procedures, but early on (like in the hospital, in this thread) the big thing is just to get the stomach rebooted and working again; protein typically comes from liquids at the start, but it still generally only represents about half of one's diet (3-400 calories out of 6-800 with the commonly sited diets, more overall for some who can handle more metabolically.)

In the initial few weeks, weight loss is driven by the very high caloric deficit enforced by the small stomach and inflammation, along with the initial loss of water weight from reduced glygogen stores. Longer term during the losing phase, the "slows weight loss" aspect is only from variations in water weight as the body attempts to restore its glycogen levels with any added carbohydrate consumption - this only really happens if one is on a very low carb diet, such as is popular at the moment, but not to any notable extent if one maintains a better balance of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

You are fundamentally right that nutritionists (RD's at least) aren't very good at dispensing popular dietary advice as they tend to focus more in the nutritional needs of the patient rather than their need to follow the crowd. If, for instance, a patient is diabetic or insulin resistant, then a low carb type of diet is certainly called for, even when low fat diets were the fashion of the day. If they have kidney problems, then a low protein diet will likely be prescribed, even everyone else is clamoring for keto.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Amy R.
on 2/22/18 1:39 pm

Your posts are always worded in ways that suggest you hold yourself as some kind of WLS expert. However the more you talk/type the more obvious it is that you are not a professional at all. You are in fact someone who has a very limited understanding of bariatric practice as a whole. And what knowledge you do have seems to be outdated or not applicable to poster's questions.

Honestly you have some catching up to do. It's irresponsible to knowingly give out bad or old info. You're judgment in so far as the dietary practices of successful long term post ops is just one glaring example.

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself. A protein forward, limited carb eating plan is hardly a fad diet.

There are days when I really crave some NSAIDS. For the headache I get when I try to find anything, ANYTHING helpful in posts like yours.

Shannon S.
on 2/23/18 5:23 pm
VSG on 11/07/17
CC C.
on 2/21/18 9:17 pm

I just go****er. But taken in medicine ounce shot glasses, you're not getting much watered down juice. I wouldn't worry about it, but don't bring the habit home.

MarinaGirl
on 2/21/18 10:17 pm

I had water plus Gatorade or apple juice post-op. Wasn't considered an issue so soon after surgery. You're not drinking that much either. But if you're worried about it ask your surgeon. Note that I was not diabetic or pre-diabetic prior to WLS.

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/18 5:35 am

When I was in the hospital. I was given regular coffee and they did put juice on my tray.

Just because it is there doesn't mean we have to drink it.

You are on an IV still?

You could get sick drinking the juice since juice is all sugar.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Gwen M.
on 2/22/18 6:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I just had water post-op. I've heard many stories about hospitals providing things that aren't in line at all with post-op eating plans - like solid foods!

Of course, I'm also allergic to apple juice and regular gatorade.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/22/18 7:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Of course, I'm also allergic to apple juice and regular gatorade.

Me, too. My glucose level skyrockets, my A1c climbs over 7, and I become obese when I drink juice and Gatorade. It's terrible.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 2/22/18 7:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Haha!

For me, it's a "feature" of fructose malabsorption. So, technically, I'm "physically intolerant" to apple juice and gatorade, but that always sounds weird to say.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics