In such a funk after seeing my doctor!

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/17 5:42 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Don't let your PCP discourage you. You sound like I was pre surgery. I waited it out with more diets/programs and gained even more before I finally committed. You are not risking your life; you are saving it. My PCP has been very supportive and delighted at my progress.He has many patients who've had WLS and have done well. I understand that seems to be the exception so maybe I lucked out.

Do it anyway and either find a new PCP or make it an education process.

SkinnyBonz38
on 12/18/17 7:11 am

Don't readily discount your doctor. She knows you better than any of us here. On the other hand have you really considered what she is saying. When I read that various weigh loss plans don't 'work' in most cases the person has stopped doing what the plan calls for. I think perhaps your dr feels you may go off the wls plan once you become comfortable with your wl. Oh and btw how tall are you?
With the entire planet about to embark on wl new year resolutions, why not take part of your wls money and seek a good therapist, a trainer, and a qualified delivery food service and stick to a sound wl plan for life.

Gwen M.
on 12/18/17 7:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Out of curiosity - how is this working for you? I looked at your posting history and it looks like you haven't had surgery and haven't been able to lose the weight you want to lose and keep it off with yo-yo dieting either?

So it seems strange that you're suggesting someone do what you've done, which hasn't worked for you either, instead of pursuing WLS.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Notaboutperfect
on 12/18/17 7:17 am
VSG on 11/08/16

You may need to seek a new PCP.

I'm sorry she threw you for a loop, but maybe this was a blessing in disguise? My "nay-sayer" was my mom and she gave me insight into some of my own fears and insecurities and forced me to research more. Ultimately, once I decided to go ahead, she was very supportive.

I was also self pay (in FL) with no co-morbidities--you don't need a PCP to refer/sign off. However, post surgery support is very important.

I also spent my entire life fighting weight, hating my body, thinking I just needed willpower to lose weight, etc. I have lost all of my excess weight and for the first time feel pretty good. But the only way I will not regain my weight is if I choose to maintain my new lifestyle (forever). I feel like I finally have the "leg-up" I needed to do that. Prior diets I would lose some of my weight, but then backslide. I never had the chance to feel what reaching my goal actually felt like. And I was hungry all the time!

This is your time to do your research and make your own choice for your health. Hugs to you, whatever you choose.

JourneyBound
on 12/18/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/09/17

Sounds like your PCP is responding like many people do to WLS who haven't personally experienced a lifetime of obesity, & weight losses & gains. Thankfully, my PCP agreed that it was a very good option for me, she's very well read, & up on current studies...

I'm your age, & have gone many similar weight loss routes that you have. Somehow this one is working. Though sometimes challenging, so far the intense physical urge to eat high fat, high sugar foods, is gone. I'm actually feeling satisfied with high protein, high fiber foods. Stopping when full is my greatest challenge, more difficult than passing up icecream & chocolate. But I feel so healthy for the 1st time on sooooo long. For the 1st time in forever, I feel this is a path I can follow for good.

As with everything in life, trust your gut, go with your gut, fight for yourself. Good luck!

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

Donna L.
on 12/18/17 5:20 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Doctors are trained to diagnose and treat illnesses. They are typically not trained in obesity. Exercise only accounts for minimal (think 5% or less) weight loss. Now, it is true that many people with a BMI of 35 can lose weight from lifestyle changes.

WLS is a tool, and, at the end of the day, you can choose to use it or not. You meet the criteria insurance usually requires.

Any weight loss will rely on behavior change, though. I'd encourage you to keep pursing therapy, and explore WLS options. See what the bariatric team says. Definitely get a surgeon's opinion.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Acedding27
on 12/18/17 8:37 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

I'm so sorry; I would feel terrible after hearing this from my doctor.

My PCP (who I have had for over four years) actually broached the topic of WLS with me when he diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes about a year and a half ago. I told him I would think about it and I did some research. When I decided that I was going to pursue it, he recommended two different clinics. He said he works with about 10 post-ops; he's a big believer in WLS surgery. Most of his patients had the bypass, but a couple of the women had the VSG. He said that all of his are doing quite well. One of the bypass patients is years and years post op.

Now, this may be because there are multiple clinics within a 50-mile radius of where I live, two of them Bariatric Centers of Excellence.

With all the new research about obesity from the ASMBS and other organizations, it's disappointing to me that she would take this stance. I find it hard to believe that she has many WLS patients and that they all regained enough weight to be deemed "failures."

"While the common misconception is that most patients who have metabolic or bariatric surgery generally regain their weight, the statement is just not true. According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, as many as 50 percent of patients may regain a small portion of their weight loss (just 5%) two years or more following surgery. However, according to more longitudinal studies, most bariatric surgery patients maintain successful weight-loss long-term. Successful weight loss is generally defined as weight loss that equals to or greater than 50 percent of their excess body weight." (OBESITY Reporter, 2015)

As for the risk of death...it's much lower than your risk of death if you're morbidly obese. Now...you are NOT morbidly obese. Your BMI is barely in the obese category. She should mention that that is something to consider. Someone like me, that started with a BMI of 60, has a bigger chance of dying from an obesity related illness than surgery.

Anyway...juat trying to give you some things to think about. I would find a new PCP and start regularly seeing a therapist that you are comfortable with. :-)

theAntiChick
on 12/19/17 9:38 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Don't let your PCP talk you out of WLS with generalities, especially ones that aren't true. It doesn't sound like she's pointing at specific things in your specific history and saying that those things put you at risk, it sounds like she's biased against WLS. And she's wrong. The data is showing that WLS is the most effective treatment for obesity. That doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but it is showing much more efficacy than diet/exercise.

This article talks about the latest science on the subject:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/7/16587316/ba riatric-surgery-weight-loss-lap-band

the numbers just don't support what your PCP is saying.

You really have 2 options:

1 - educate your PCP. Give her the studies and ask her to re-think this. If she's a good doctor, she'll look at the data and realize she's operating under some old thinking on this subject.

That is not to say WLS is a panacea. You have to work at it, and it's MUCH more effective if you address any mental/emotional issues you have around food at the same time. Once she realizes that WLS is a viable option for many people, she needs to also know to advise them to seek therapy if it's indicated, and realize that the surgery isn't magic, and it's possible to eat around any surgery if you don't address your food issues.

2 - find a new PCP. It's hard, especially if you otherwise have a good relationship with your PCP. But your medical team should be just that ... a team. You should be an equal member on that team, looking to the other team members for professional advice in their area of expertise. If that's not the situation, IMHO find a new team.

I have to say, WLS is the best thing I've ever done for myself and my health. I cannot speak highly enough about it. I am 48 and I just wish I'd done it years ago, honestly.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/17 1:54 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Listen to your doctor, consider the advice, and then compare it with that of others. Doctors are not gods, despite what they think about themselves. My PCP wanted me to take weight loss pills. Because he is a pill pusher. Everything is about pills. Surgery from ANOTHER doctor takes him out of my health care loop because I am healthier now.

Good luck with your decision and your progress. I am 59, and started this process when I was 58. I wish I would have done it years ago.

sweetpotato1959
on 12/25/17 1:24 pm

The surgery is not HER decision.. It is yours. It is your body. If you need a PCP who agrees, change PCP's. meinwhile.I just would not make any more mention of it to her.. until it was complete. If she has documentation of your diet plans you have tried and failed in some way, you need to get copies of those records. Weight gain/obesity IS heriditary. Was proven thru research study thru Univ Of Tn, Memphis Gene study.. connected with my surgeons group.Both Mom and I were in the study. We are both George's Angels.

Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics