Going back to work in Phase II

shawnee711
on 11/1/17 6:50 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Thanks everyone for your advice. I read and re-read everyone's post. Due t my length of time in my position at work, I could not be protected by FMLA, so taking too much time off could have gotten me fired.
I went to work one week post-surgery. I actually was scheduled, and worked, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, off Monday, and back Tuesday. It was more hours than I typically work in the same amount of time. Crazy, but when you're looking at a calendar, it all seems so easy.

Happy to say i made it through it. The first shift I had a couple of moments of turning a lovely shade of white, and sweating a bit. I attributed this to the lack of calories taken in vs. the amount of calories needed to be an RN. Luckily, my co-workers are awesome. I would sit down for a bit and sip on a protein shake, until I felt normal again (usually about 5-10 minutes). Also, all of my awesome co-workers would not let me lift or move any patients. We are always helping each other .. "can I get a boost in 35?"... but no one asked me, and kept checking with me to see if I needed a patient re-positioned or anything. That was HUGE. We don't have light duty at work since our hospital is a small community one, and there just isn't a role for a non-traditional nurse on the floor.

As for how I feel now, I'm still sore but it is very manageable. And cool thing is, when I am busy working, I do not seem to feel the pain at all. I'm not sure if it's just because my attention is on other matters, or if the constant moving and walking keeps it loose. I will say that it is hurting more on my day off today, than it did even on my first night back. It's like a post-workout sore. Now that I'm able to eat soups, yogurt, cream of wheat, etc., I definitely have more energy. I really need to work on the dehydration thing though. It's hard to get in the water and the nutrients. I am back on the vitamins tomorrow so hopefully that'll help even more.

So in conclusion, if I could've taken an extra week off, I definitely would have. but since I felt I had no choice, I did work, but I lived. I am the girl that lived. I have no issues with any part of the surgery due to working, which, I am grateful. I know it could have been a disaster. If you are in the same boat, and are reading this, know that it is doable. I am also a veteran and have endured some pretty tough stuff so I am sure that played into my success also. So know yourself, and your limit, then look at choices.... then take off for two weeks if that's a choice!

Most Active
Recent Topics