Going back to work in Phase II

shawnee711
on 10/25/17 1:16 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

hello all!

I am one week post-VSG, and ready to start Phase II tomorrow. I go back to work Friday night, and I am a bit worried, since I have had no energy during the first week. I shower and do some laundry, and I start feeling a bit ill and drained. If I sit for a bit, I feel much better, and can then continue with activity. I am thinking it's because of the almost no-calorie week 1 diet.

So tomorrow I start Week 2, and I can have, according to my surgeon, cream of tomato soup, cream of wheat, and protein shakes, as well as "all" of the items from Week 1 (sugar-free jell-o, broth, etc.). I have lost 22 lbs since the week before surgery when I started the liquid diet. (293 to 271)

Question is: Has switching to this Phase II given you enough energy for some prolonged activity within a day or two? I am an RN on a cardiac floor, and work night shift (12 hrs.). I am thinking of starting Phase II a bit early, and having the new foods tonight, to build some energy up by Friday night. What has been some of your experiences? The pain has subsided, except for in one spot on my right upper abdominal area, but is better every time I get up and walk. So it's more the energy aspect I am worried about.

Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/25/17 3:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You absolutely do not want to advance your food stages any earlier than advised. You're on a restricted diet because your stomach is healing; putting something too solid in there can do serious damage. At best you'll feel sick, at worst you can irritate or open your staple line and cause serious complications.

You're tired because your body has serious healing to do. Getting more protein will be a BIG help to that, but you will still be tired. Hopefully your work can accommodate this and give you some quick breaks to sit, but you will most definitely be exhausted even on the "phase 2" food list.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

shawnee711
on 10/25/17 5:16 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

Definitely nothing too solid. I was thinking more along the lines of a protein shake, or broth with the chicken flavored protein powder added. For my surgeon's program, we do not get protein shakes and supplements bac****il Day 8. But thank you for letting me know how you were still exhausted on Phase II. I'm hoping for the best

JourneyBound
on 10/25/17 9:40 pm
VSG on 10/09/17

I was on protein shakes the day after surgery, so I can't respond to that aspect. I went back to work week 2, but my energy was low, & I was tired. 6 hours & I was pooped. Your job sounds physically demanding & draining, you may need to take a few more days off if u can. 3rd week in, & my energy is high. Wishing you the best of luck!

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/17 5:08 am

It took me 2-3 months to stop feeling tired. WLS is a serious surgery. Plus the effects of all the chemicals (anesthesia) they gave you- the body needs time to recover from that.

Dehydration may cause feeling more tired. Getting hydrated was a priority for me.

After it got back to work - I would drink a protein shake for lunch so I could take a short nap (even in my car if needed). 20-25 min would help me feel better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 10/26/17 5:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Wait...you're a nurse and you're going back to work only a week after major surgery? Please tell me you're on a lighter duty? I was extremely listless for several weeks, and it was because of the anesthesia fog, not that I was on liquids. Shoot, I was eating soft foods the day I came home from the hospital (day 4). Critical thinking???? Throw that idea out of the window, too, and you can't be lifting more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, so no helping patients physically, either. So, what exactly will you be doing at work with all of these restrictions? Your body needs time to fully recover and as a nurse, you should know better than to push yourself like this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Donna L.
on 10/26/17 8:39 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I went back to work two weeks after surgery, and also started my clinical internship. It did not go well, and was not easy, however I made it. It probably negatively impacted my weight loss, too. I will be taking 4 weeks off for my revision, likely.

Food isn't necessarily the reason for no energy; you had 80% of a major organ removed which has a significant hormonal component to it. Your body is readjusting its neuroendocrine balance as well as healing from a major procedure, and recovering from anesthesia. You are going to be tired for some time.

The issue with advancing food is also that you can get bleeds, leaks notwithstanding, if you go too fast. Working on the cardiac floor you see what happens to people who cut corners with their health on a daily basis. It usually doesn't go well.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kristi T.
on 10/26/17 9:24 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I am a retired R.N. and I would have never been able to go back to work Week 2, not even light duty. Give yourself some more time if you can. Don't start your second phase early, keep up with the guidelines and your energy will eventually come back. I think I finally felt "normal" about one month post op.

bridget1970
on 10/26/17 9:32 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

I am a legal secretary so my job is a lot more sedentary than yours. When I went back to work after two weeks, the days felt long and I was completely exhausted by the time I got home. Take more time off to recover if you possibly can.

hannahg22
on 10/26/17 3:30 pm
VSG on 08/15/17

I was back to work in exactly a week from surgery.. I work for a very fast paced dental office and I'm on my feet more than I'm doing anything else. I couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs, and I was a little slower, but I was still able to work and get my job done. I know being an RN is exhausting, so maybe see if you could work every other day until you get more energy? Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics